May 2010 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Calling all e-reader owners!

I know one of the ladies has asked about this before.  And I've done quite a bit of research between the two but I wanted to get some user opinions.  (I'll prolly post this over on the book club board too.)

So... Kindle or Nook?

I was partial to the Kindle before but they've made some enhancements to the Nook and now I just don't know...  But I'm wanting an e-reader for Christmas so I am soliciting opinions.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Calling all e-reader owners!

• i played with both of them and I asked Jay for the Nook for xmas.  It seemed to be more user friendly to me, And i'm technology retarded so that was an important feature for me.
    imageimage
  • I haven't even seen one of them in real life (besides commercials).  I'm a major reader, but I'm so worried that they hurt your eyes....?!? How could they not?? I'm already on my laptop way too much.  Anyway - I'm interested in hearing which one everybody likes! 
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • How long of an answer do you want? LOL Stu asked me about this a while back, and I ended up putting my reply on my blog, so it's up there if you want the full run-down. http://rohanrider331.blogspot.com/

Short answer: I prefer the Nook.

And, Ash, the Kindle and regular Nook have special screens that simulate the page of a book. They're not backlit like computer screens. The Nook Color and the iPad (which isn't a true e-reader, IMO) are different and do have backlit, color touchscreens like an iPhone.

• NOOK!!!

I love my nook! One of the best features is that is supports the books from the library. I haven't paid for a book in months.

Would you be getting a new color nook or an older model? 

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/poohbare63/2011-09-09205308-1-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • Mimi -- Can you elaborate on the library thing? How does that work?

Maybe I'm kind of interested now that I know they don't all hurt your eyes!  

image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • image Mimi63:

NOOK!!!

I love my nook! One of the best features is that is supports the books from the library. I haven't paid for a book in months.

Would you be getting a new color nook or an older model? 

I would prolly get the older model because the new one is backlit and I want to avoid the eye strain. I dunno.  I'd prolly go in and play with it some.  I would also worry that the color screen would drain the battery more.

I think I'm starting to lean towards the Nook.  And now I have to go read Kelly's novel! HAHAHA! - the more info to help me decide... the better.

• Nook!!! I love mine, and it's ability to let me take like 30 books with me on our honeymoon next week!

Except the Nook color is backlit, so it will bother your eyes. Go for the black and white Nook.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    TTC April 2014
    Melissa's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I think I might get one some day, but for now I really like just picking up a book.
    Two souls but a single thought; Two hearts that beat as one image
  • Adam's getting me one for Christmas... I'm just not sure which one yet.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image katyp51:
    I think I might get one some day, but for now I really like just picking up a book.

That's the part I'm having a hard time with.  I LOVE hold a book and turning the pages (until I can't get comfortable).  The biggest concern I have is that I am going to miss that!

• image jenny_seitz:

image katyp51:
    I think I might get one some day, but for now I really like just picking up a book.

That's the part I'm having a hard time with.  I LOVE hold a book and turning the pages (until I can't get comfortable).  The biggest concern I have is that I am going to miss that!

I was very anti-ereader for a long time, and that was one of the reasons. I've been a voracious reader since first grade, and I couldn't stand the thought of giving up that sensation, the smell of a good book, the cool cover art, etc.

I find that I don't sit there with my Nook and think about what I'm missing, though. It took a few days to get used to, but now I love my Nook's physical presence, too. I also still read regular books frequently. For some reason I think we all get this feeling that you can't pick up a paper book again after you get a Kindle or whatever. Smile

• All of the public libraries have e-drives now. You can borrow a book on your computer and download it to the nook. It is actually a really easy process. 

I have always been a huge reader and I absolutely LOVE the nook! 

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/poohbare63/2011-09-09205308-1-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • image Mimi63:

All of the public libraries have e-drives now. You can borrow a book on your computer and download it to the nook. It is actually a really easy process. 

I have always been a huge reader and I absolutely LOVE the nook! 

Not all just yet. Smile But if your public library doesn't offer e-books yet, you can get an out-of-state membership to the Philadelphia Free Library for $15 a year, which is a really good deal. I've been borrowing my e-books and audiobooks from Philly because our county library system won't be getting Overdrive until after New Year's. It is very easy.