Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Trying to watch Precious, but...

I'm missing half of the damn dialogue because of her mumbling.

And thus far, I'm not terribly impressed with the movie. Certainly don't see it as Oscar material. 

Re: Trying to watch Precious, but...

• I wasn't particularly "impressed" by it...  but I was definitely impinged upon/affected.
  • I had to watch it with the subtitles on because I couldn't catch what she was saying. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That movie horrified me. But as far as Monique and her Oscar goes, when you get to "the" scene, you'll know why she won.
  • I thought Mariah Carey was fantastic and I'm not a fan of hers but otherwise I had issues with the acting. 
  • DH and I said the same thing!  It was definately a deep story, and I got a little sick at some parts just because of the content.  But for half the movie I had no idea what was said.  I am glad I am not the only one!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had to turn the closed captioning on for that movie. The book was so much more graphic. I also had a hard time understanding the book due to her vocabulary.
  • good to know about adding subtitles as I just got this from netflix yesterday.
  • Yikes, I read the book and am traumatized from it. There's no way I would want to watch those horrifying things on-screen. Those of you who watched it are rock stars.
  • image thatgirlang:
    That movie horrified me. But as far as Monique and her Oscar goes, when you get to "the" scene, you'll know why she won.

Exactly. I thought she was outstanding (and yes - played a horrific character) throughout the movie.

I so did NOT want to watch that movie. DH brought it home. In retrospect, I'm glad I watched it.

• I just read the wikipedia on this movie... I have absolutely no interest in seeing this. That sounds awful and would depress me for days...

• image SandiRose:
    I thought Mariah Carey was fantastic and I'm not a fan of hers but otherwise I had issues with the acting. 

Funny! I hated her acting (as usual). I mean it was better than Glitter but.... still didn't win me over. lol

• I was actually surprised by the movie based on the rave reviews it got. The issues it dealt with were ones that aren't typically focused on in such a popular media style with well known actors/actresses and are typically more independant film or "made for tv" movies. That's mostly the only thing I liked about it.

I did not like how they pieced the movie together and seemed to just start to go into a character or storyline before it switched back. It just didn't flow very well and the scene switches seemed forced.

• Just watched it and I could see how the book would be far more graphic.  I honestly felt like it really wasn't that depressing of a movie.  I don't know, it wasn't that crazy, like how everyone was saying it was incredibly depressing.  

I did put subtitles on, but I really didn't need them.   

• image MrsInMadison:

Just watched it and I could see how the book would be far more graphic.  I honestly felt like it really wasn't that depressing of a movie.  I don't know, it wasn't that crazy, like how everyone was saying it was incredibly depressing.   

People aren't used to such a mainstream in your face type of movie about sexual and physical abuse.

• image sara7238:
    image MrsInMadison:

Just watched it and I could see how the book would be far more graphic.  I honestly felt like it really wasn't that depressing of a movie.  I don't know, it wasn't that crazy, like how everyone was saying it was incredibly depressing.   

People aren't used to such a mainstream in your face type of movie about sexual and physical abuse.

And you do have to realize the amount of children who live those horrors on a daily basis. I guess if you are that sheltered from it, it wouldn't depress you that much. 

• image PunkyBooster:
    image sara7238:
    image MrsInMadison:

And you do have to realize the amount of children who live those horrors on a daily basis. I guess if you are that sheltered from it, it wouldn't depress you that much. 

I would hesitate to say someone who didn't find the movie as depressing was sheltered. We don't know their circumstances.

For some people, abuse is all they know. It's not something they may not openly claim to find depressing. I think many people who have been sheltered are actually more likely to find this movie depressing than the people who see it and go through it day after day.

The kids I work with said didn't find the movie depressing either. After watching it, we had a group where they stated that the reason it wasn't depressing was because the girl got out before it got worse. For most of the kids I work with, abuse was an every day occurance and abuse like what was depicted in the movie was just the start for them.

It's a sad subject, but just because someone says it didn't depress them, doesn't mean they are telling the truth or that they are sheltered and haven't seen what abuse does to people.

• **SPOILERS**

Like I said, I only read the book, I didn't see the movie so I don't know what all was shown...

But how in the world can a father raping his own daughter, a mother sexually abusing her own daughter, whacking her in the head with a heavy skillet and purposely dropping a 3 day old baby on the floor NOT depress anyone, sheltered or not?!?! It's really just unspeakably horrific.