Caribbean Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

This is weird, right?

We filled out all of the paperwork for Ethan's birth certificate ages ago. We already received the certificate.

Today, I get something in the mail from the State Department of Health saying when processing the request questions arose regarding the accuracy of some of the information on the certificate.

Then, there are blanks for me to fill in the info they want, but what they are asking for is the start date of the last period I had before conceiving Ethan. That doesn't go on the birth certificate. Why in the world would they need that? What would that have to do with any of the info we provided for the certificate?

I'm going to call tomorrow, but can anybody think of anything that would make sense of this?

Re: This is weird, right?

• Mississippi is weird.

The only thing I can think of is that they collect data on how long your pregnancy lasted, but like you said, that's not information that I think you'd submit when you apply for a birth certificate.  F dealt with all that in the hospital and I'm positive they didn't ask for the date of my last period.

• The only reason I can think of would be to track premature births.  But a) what clerk is going to calculate that and b) the hospital would have reported it.

There's something fishy about asking you for that info.  Like HIPAA-violating fishy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yeah, it's really off to me. I'm going to call the department of records tomorrow and call my doc. Plus, that was a year ago. If I hadn't been charting, there is no way I would just remember what day my last period started. I just can't come up with any scenario that makes needing that information make sense.
  • I'm Ethan.  Ethan Draper. 
  • That does sound weird.

Does your state have their birth certificate application available online to see what they ask and  maybe an explanation as to why?

If it is on the form, I would think most men who fill them out would just skip right over it.

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced your mom's a moron and if you didn't have your name legally changed by the age of 22, so are you. Unless you're from another continent. -Groomz
  • It definitely wasn't on the form because I filled the form out. That's the doubly strange part. We already have his birth certificate, so you'd think they would have made sure they had all of the correct info before mailing that out.
  • I had to indicate how long I was pregnant on one of the forms I completed.

I wonder if the hospital was supposed to submit that info for you and never did?

• image ChristinS:
    I'm Ethan.  Ethan Draper. 

High 5, Bugle! I was thinking the same thing.

Husbands should be like Kleenex: Soft, strong, and disposable.
  • I just caught myself tilting my head to the side like Moxie does but I still didn't come up with a reasonable explanation. You'll have to report back to us.

It is definitely odd since you have the birth certificate already but not surprising coming from a state office. They probably just got around to filing the paperwork and realized they needed useless info from a thousand different people.

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced your mom's a moron and if you didn't have your name legally changed by the age of 22, so are you. Unless you're from another continent. -Groomz
  • That's really weird. I can see them asking how long you were pregnant, but the period thing is so random. Especially considering that so many women menstruate so irregularly.
  • Obviously they are trying to prove the validity Ethan's birth. THAT'S NOT YOUR BABY!!!
  • Super weird.  

I second the fact that date of last period doesn't even indicate length of gestation, so I'm not sure why they'd ever need to know that.

• Am I the only person who would just throw that form away without calling?

Book Review Blog

If I were a man (or fitty) I'd totally call my penis THE WIZARD - HappyTummy
  • I would be tempted to respond with the answer:  None of your business.
    IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012
  • So I called. The first day of my last period was Sept 2, 2009. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt since I was charting and still have the chart.

Somehow, the hospital gave vital records the date Aug 29, 2005. That's the day Katrina hit. Maybe the hospital considered my last period to be epic enough to be confused with a large natural disaster. People are stupid. 

• Ha!  That would be the world's loooongest pregnancy.  Sorry you missed out on being in the Guiness Book
  • If I was in charge of checking that info, I'd have assumed they meant 2009, changed it myself and saved the office the postage. But I guess they don't pay them to think.

• image Irishgrl417:

If I was in charge of checking that info, I'd have assumed they meant 2009, changed it myself and saved the office the postage. But I guess they don't pay them to think.

Apparently, they do not.