Caribbean Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

School me in makeup (long)

I've been thinking about wearing make-up to work on a daily basis, and I'm taking on some new responsibilities that require a bit of a more professional look, so it's time.  The problem is that I've never worn it on the regular, so I know nothing about brands or different types.  Any time I've needed makeup in the past, I just go to the drugstore and get whatever looks like it matches my skin tone, and it usually looks.... not great.

Tomorrow is my hair/brow/lash appointment, so I'm going to make a beauty day of it and go shopping at Sephora afterward.    But I need help.

I need pretty light coverage for my face, and my skin is on the dry side.  Would a tinted moisturizer work?  Or should I use the bare escentuals type stuff.

As far as eyes, I want shadow that will stay all day, which has been an issue for me in the past.  Brands for shadow, liner, mascara or something that helps stuff stay on (primer?) would be swell.

Lip gloss annoys the shiit out of me, so I would appreciate recommendations for something that looks nice and isn't sticky.

The nerve!
House | Blog

Re: School me in makeup (long)

• I'm not good with makeup either, but I love MAC eyeshadow.  It's the only one I've used so far that doesn't get all crazy in my eye crease.  It stays where it is supposed to.
  • If you have good skin, tinted moisturizer might be good.  Bare Escentuals would also be nice.  Laura Mercier makes a kickass tinted moisturizer but it's expensive.  I've recently been impressed with the Cover Girl Tru Blend line. 

Do you have Nordstrom?  They are usually good about handing out samples. Plus, having someone put together a polished look is nice.

For eyeshadow, I like MAC and Stila.  I'm also a huge fan of Trish McEvoy, but it seems harder to find. Avoid NARS--great colors that last 6.3 minutes.

Are you set on lipgloss?  If so, I like Ulta's. Cheap, good color, not sticky.  But, I suggest Clinique's Long Last Soft Shine Lipstick.  Not too heavy, but long wearing. 

ETA: I'm married to Laura Mercier's Kohl Liner in (Brown?) Copper.  I think drugstore mascara works as well (at least for the price) as dept. store.  I like L'Oreal Voluminous and Maybelline Full and Soft.  I think Great Lash is shiit but a lot of people love it. An eyelash curler is essential, imo.

• I love Stila's tinted moisturizer and eyeshadow.

• I like Aveeno's tinted moisturizer.

Book Review Blog

If I were a man (or fitty) I'd totally call my penis THE WIZARD - HappyTummy
  • image FallinAgain:

Are you set on lipgloss?  If so, I like Ulta's. Cheap, good color, not sticky.  But, I suggest Clinique's Long Last Soft Shine Lipstick.  Not too heavy, but long wearing. 

No, that's just what I'm used to.  Like I said, I hate wearing it.  A non-heavy lipstick would be perfect.

Thanks guys!  I'll be writing some of these brands down.

What about Bobbi Brown?  I'm reading that her tinted moisturizer is really good for pale skin.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • get a lip stain then. I sort of forget I have it on.

Book Review Blog

If I were a man (or fitty) I'd totally call my penis THE WIZARD - HappyTummy
  • I got a lip stain last week. I like how easy and non-sticky it is. Now I need to find a better color than the one I got.

• image SarahBethBR:
    image FallinAgain:

No, that's just what I'm used to.  Like I said, I hate wearing it.  A non-heavy lipstick would be perfect.

Thanks guys!  I'll be writing some of these brands down.

What about Bobbi Brown?  I'm reading that her tinted moisturizer is really good for pale skin.

BB was pale enough but too yellow for me. 

Clinique also makes a glossy lipstick. I can't remember the name but Black Honey is an uber popular color.

• The only thing I wear is Burts Bee's lip colour (no idea what it is - it is in a thin stick and has a bit of a shimmer to it but not glossy).
  • I will echo the Stila and Mac eyeshadows.  Love them.  I've been all about the MAC color "Antiqued" lately.   It's this bronzy/rust sort of color that I find really versatile.

I love Trish McEvoy mascara - it washes of in water only and in weird rubbery clumps.  I think NASA designed that shiit.  Otherwise, you don't need anything other than drug store brand mascara.

I use NARS multiples in Orgasm (that's the color) - I use it as a blush, but can be used for other purposes (hence 'multiples')

Laura Mercier oil free foundation is great.

BB gel eyeliners are fantastic and I find them easy to use.

image Mabel the Loser.
  • I use the powder version of Orgasm.  Best color evah.
  • My <5 minute make-up routine consists:

no base, unless i have a big meeting

MAC Shadestick in Beige-ing all over the lid, lashes to brows (I love this, quicker to apply than MAC Paint, but just as good a base)

MAC eye shadow in Sable in the crease

no liner, unless i have a big meeting

CoverGirl Lash Blast Fushion in very black

Burts Bees tinted chapstick

Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • I love the idea of the NARS multiple, and that color looks great.  Do you use a brush or just use your fingers?

I am writing down a ton of these brands.  This is really, really helpful, you guys.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • image lindsayll:

MAC Shadestick in Beige-ing all over the lid, lashes to brows (I love this, quicker to apply than MAC Paint, but just as good a base)

MAC eye shadow in Sable in the crease

eye makeup twinsies!!

I also use their pressed powder and blush.

• Re the Nars Multiple, I just use my fingers.  It's a cream, not a powder, and comes in very handy.

image Mabel the Loser.
  • I second Covergirl Lash Blast if you are looking for a good mascara that's cheap. For pricer ones I love Benefit Bad Girl Lash and Diorshow.

You have such nice skin, so I wouldn't go for more than a tinted moisture and/or a dab of powder if you feel like you need it. 

I also second Fallin about an eyelash curler. For me it's essential. 

Youtube tutorials are awesome for figuring out how to do different looks. 

• Is Lash Blast the one in the orange tube? I love the one in the orange tube.

When I want SUPER eyelashes (I haaaate false ones. I can never get them right.) I do a couple of coats of Maybelline XXL (the one with the double-ended wand) and then a coat or two of the lash blast. That's what I did for my b-pics.

Husbands should be like Kleenex: Soft, strong, and disposable.
  • Yes, the bigass orange tube.
  • Another vote for MAC. I like everything they have except foundation and mascara. I agree with Fallin about department store mascara, I think most mascara works pretty well as long as it is new. They all suck as they get older.
    For less then ten cents a day, you can feed a hungry child.
  • I'm a cheapass, so most of my makeup comes from Target or CVS.

I love Cover Girl Perfect Point Plus eyeliner in espresso. Don't do black, it's too harsh.

Also, I use Burt's Bees lip gloss in sweet pink. Gives a nice shine, but isn't sticky or slippery.

If you don't use a tinted moisturizer, make sure to moisturize before you put any makeup on. It will go one smoother.

Get a good set of makeup brushes. They are so much better than the sponges or applicators that come with stuff.

• Good point about good brushes.  Essential.  I love Trish McEvoy's.  Sephora has good, less expensive ones.
  • I'm another NARS powder Orgasm blush girl - it's just absolutely fantasmical. It looks good on everyone.

I also love the Lash Blast Mascara in the big orange tube. I don't even need an eyelash curler using that stuff...

I'm still on the hunt for a good foundation, so I'm taking notes on a lot of these....  But if you're looking for a good concealer I would lay my life down for Estee Lauder's Double Wear concealer in the liquid tubey thing.  It stays and stays and stays...  I try and time my purchases with them so I can get a free gift... they had their promotion going on 2 weeks ago, not sure if it's still running, but if you spend $29.50 you get a shiit ton of free stuff in a cute little bag.  I like their eye shadows too...  And I'm in love with their gloss....  It is a bit thick though, not sure if it's right for a first timer. The smell is the best though....

• My foundation is super expenisve, but it lasts me about 5 months with every day use, almost a year without. I love. It is Dior Airflash.
    For less then ten cents a day, you can feed a hungry child.
  • I don't wear makeup because I don't have Hezz around to do it for me everyday.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • I really made an impression on you in Methigan, huh?
    Glad you like it, mama!!  I'll do it again in a few weeks if you want!