Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Name your favorite pet related myth.

Then bust them.

My siggy is broken. It has made me grumpy.

Re: Name your favorite pet related myth.

• I'll start:

"Do not feed your pet people food."

Yes. Some foods are bad for your pet. However, the same great healthy foods we enjoy eating your pets can enjoy too.

My siggy is broken. It has made me grumpy.
  • Too bad the only people food my dogs enjoy aren't healthy! LOL.
  • "Pit bulls attack people without warning." 

People do not understand dog "language" and cannot read and/or ignore a dog's body language, growls, and other means of warning. 

• Pit bulls have lock jaw/they lock their jaws when they bite.

Pitties are not physiologically different than all other dogs, they aren't the only breed with this magical locking jaw. There has never been a published scientific study showing they have lock jaw.

On this topic Dr. 1. Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia wrote:
    "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier."

• image LuvMyFurbaby:

"Pit bulls attack people without warning." 

People do not understand dog "language" and cannot read and/or ignore a dog's body language, growls, and other means of warning. 

Yes 

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • "Shelter dogs all have major issues and will eat kids on sight."

Tell that to my well adjusted shelter special who was housetrained, crate trained, and knew how to sit/shake/not chew up our stuff when we got her (and hadn't been in a foster home) and thinks kids are super awesome things who shouldn't be jumped on (whereas adults are super awesome things that she tries not to jump on but just gets SO excited...we're working on that).

• that cats are 'easy' pets.

BWAHAHAHAHA.

I'm sorry, I'll just lend them La Doof Kitton...El Gato is an easy pet but there ARE cats that are as much work/as destructive a force, as dogs.  Ask a Bengal owner.

(I suppose I could find thelist of things La Doof Kitton brke in the first 3 months we owned him...it was over $300)

On a more realistic note...

"cats claw things up, hence why they need to be declawed"

SOME cats claw things...most can be trained.  Even my monsteh doesn't claw things to destroy them.  It's a matter of training, attentin, redirection (giving them APPROPRIATE places to claw), and addressing it if that doesn't fix it (softpaws, trimming, doulbe sided tape, etc)

"X is a hypoallergenic animal, so I can get it for allergicperson"

X breed may have less dander/allergen but, really, allergies tend to be individual to the animal and person involved at least as much as they are to breed. 

And Someone can be allergic to a lower allergen pet and not be allergic to a 'higher' allergen pet.  Use discretion here!

"they can't have pets, Ithey're  allergic" and the opposite "Oh, he can just take claratin and have a cat"

Allergies are complicated things.  Some people w/ allergies, through luck and work, manage to have pets just fine.  Some people w/ allergies cannot. 

Make the best coices for all involved and worry about the long-term consequences for the pet (who needs a home!)--and take all allergy testing w/ a large grain of salt.

Someone should not have to take meds for the rest of their life in order to manage to live in their own home (if tey don't want to)--and allergy meds don't 'cure' allergies (nor do shots)--meds might make it bearable but not be a good choice.  And on the flip side, someone who wants to deal w/ med and cleaning and dander removal in order to enjoy a pet should be encouraged to do so.

(I'm not busting that well, Sorry, I'm feeling more 'soapboxy' than "justify my answer"-y tonight)

• animals brought to the rescue or humane society were returned because they are bad animals.....

so NOT true!

Teagan Rae 8-21-12 born on due date/ 9 lbs 4 oz 22 in
  • Courtesy of badrap.org:

Aren't Pit Bulls MEAN and VICIOUS?

No more vicious than golden retrievers, beagles or other popular dogs! In a recent study of 122 dog breeds by the American Temperament Testing Society (ATTS), pit bulls achieved a passing rate of 83.9%. That's as good or better than beagles ... 78.2%, and golden retrievers ... 83.2%.

In the ATTS test, a dog is put through a series of confrontational situations. Any sign of panic or aggression leads to failure of the test. The achievement of pit bulls in this study disproves once and for all the old tired belief that pit bulls are inherently aggressive to people.  

• "My dog/cat doesn't need higher quality food.  He/she loves what they eat!"

ummmmmm yeah and I can put a cheesy gordita crunch away like nobody's business but that doesn't mean it should be my sole source of food.

• "Lab/poodle mixes are always hypoallergenic."

Umm, they don't breed true, no they are not. But bonus points if the person is extra stupid and says they're "HYPERallergenic". That at least makes me giggle a little.

• Pets can't move long distances.

We've moved our cats across the country twice, and the dog once.  And we're likely moving to Europe next year, and are in the beginning stages of planning to move 3 cats and 1 dog across the Atlantic.  Pets can move.  It just takes some planning.

• The mythical, wonderful farm where animals have lots of room to run! I don't think I need to elaborate on that one.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • That pet that you're about to surrender to the shelter will totally get adopted cuz you said so and they're so gosh darn cute!

No, douchenozzle, your pet will most likely get the needle. And if they're so cute, WHY ARE YOU SURRENDERING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!

It's just me and my Marlon now... and I LOVE it that way!
  • There are no puppies in shelters.

This was my brother's reason for buying from petland. I enjoyed telling him all about the puppy I found in a shelter.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image Josie22:

There are no puppies in shelters.

This was my brother's reason for buying from petland. I enjoyed telling him all about the puppy I found in a shelter.

Our local HS said they only rarely get puppies anymore (which is good!)..but that's still where we got 8-week-old-Dawg :-)

(locally, rescues have more puppies and the HS and animal control have more adult dogs.  But there definately are puppies.  Of course, that eing said....next myth)

"Puppies are better than adult dogs so you can train them how you want them/make sure they're good w/ cats/kids/whatever/mold their personalities/etc"

You canNOT force a living animal to fit a certain mold.  You can TRY...but it doesn't always work.

When we got Dawg, we were strugling to find a kid & cat friendly adult dog we loved, so we went the puppy route.  when a pup 1/2 the size comes into a house w/ an adult cat, the cat should be alpha right?  yeah, NO.  Only the fact that dog instinctively is friendly has kept El Gato alive and safe...puppy or not, she sees cats as something to pounce and play.

When we got Dawg, we thought we might help control her persnality...yeah, NO.  She is who she is.  I can train her w/in the bounds of what she's smart enough to learn and who she is...but I can't changeher fiber--she'll always be overly energetic (except now it's directed to oys, nt people)  and she'll always be, uhm, not especially briliant.  Such is the breedinga nd personality of the dog.

• "All rescue dogs have issues". I submit my current adopted dog to bust that myth. She's already helped bust it fir quite a few people we know.
  • Giving a dog raw meat will make them crave blood.

I don't have the energy to bust it, but I enjoyed throwing the dogs pieces of steak and chicken while in front of this person.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker