Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Dog stealing other dogs bones/toys/etc...

I just got a new female dog a few weeks ago. The new dog and my current male dog are getting along great!! Not a single conflict or growl. But the new (smaller) one keeps stealing my current dogs bones/toys away from him. It seems like a game... they go steal each others and play tug-a-war and run after each other... they have fun but the smaller one just keeps taking things away from my current dog (he doesnt growl or anything). Am I suppose to let her? And let him stick up for himself? Or stop her? And say No? I've been stopping her because I dont want her to think its OK, but I also want him to learn to stick up for himself. It's a not a huge issue, because no one seems to be upset about it but me... LOL... but I dont want her to keep taking things from him. Any time I give them both something... even if its identical... she takes it from him. I dont know if she is trying to make a game of it... but sometimes he is like "hey! that's mine!!" and I feel bad!

TIA for advice!!

image Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Dog stealing other dogs bones/toys/etc...

• My dogs do this too. I may be wrong, because I'm no expert, but I think they are playing. They never growl at each other being mean or anything and they look like they are having fun. I let them, unless they snap at each other, which rarely happens.
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
    imageimage
  • My pittie mix does this all the time to my bloodhound and if she isnt in the mood to do the toy/ bone swap then she will let him know and he backs off. But for the most part they do it regularly and it doesnt cause any problems so I dont worry about it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket Even babies love the hounds
  • as long as neither dog is getting cranky, i don't worry about.  that's actually how my dogs like to play. C grabs a toy and waves it in front of D's face.  he steals it from her, and she grabs a second toy and waves that in front of D's face.  he drops the first toy and steals the second.  she grabsthe first toy again and repeats. 
    Have you seen my monkey?
  • image nital:
    as long as neither dog is getting cranky, i don't worry about.  that's actually how my dogs like to play. C grabs a toy and waves it in front of D's face.  he steals it from her, and she grabs a second toy and waves that in front of D's face.  he drops the first toy and steals the second.  she grabsthe first toy again and repeats. 

This. If they start getting cranky, we take everything away to prevent issues.

• We have the same thing at our house! In fact the only time our lab even uses chew toys is to incite our pointer (who is a crazy chew dog) to play. She'll grab it and run away and they play chase etc. It's funny.
  • image nital:
    as long as neither dog is getting cranky, i don't worry about.  that's actually how my dogs like to play. C grabs a toy and waves it in front of D's face.  he steals it from her, and she grabs a second toy and waves that in front of D's face.  he drops the first toy and steals the second.  she grabsthe first toy again and repeats. 

This. If they start getting cranky, we take everything away to prevent issues.