Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Mary- help a girl out

Could I just get clarification for knowledge sake? From your rate regret post

image JillyWtP:
Please forgive my ignorance. I really don't know anything about enlisted-ness at all. I'm confused a bit. My H works at the nuclear weapons center... so YH is going to be an engineer...? Does he have a Bach degree, or he's just getting this intensive training in this one area? I'm having trouble with logistics of the being an "engineer" but not having an engineering degree.

I'm honestly not trying to be snarky, just confused.

image Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
I changed my name

Re: Mary- help a girl out

• image JillyWtP:

Could I just get clarification for knowledge sake? From your rate regret post

image JillyWtP:
    Please forgive my ignorance. I really don't know anything about enlisted-ness at all. I'm confused a bit. My H works at the nuclear weapons center... so YH is going to be an engineer...? Does he have a Bach degree, or he's just getting this intensive training in this one area? I'm having trouble with logistics of the being an "engineer" but not having an engineering degree.

I'm honestly not trying to be snarky, just confused.

No degree required for enlisted, just intensive training (most of the officers have bachelor's of science degrees though). What they teach in about 1.5 years is equivalent to about 4 years of college. Once he is finished with this school, he can take about 3 college classes at certain universities and get a Bachelor in Nuclear Engineering Technology degree.

ETA: So basically it's like going through all the school to be an engineer without the piece of paper that calls you an engineer to the rest of the world. Fortunately it is fairly easy to get the actual degree once they are out.

67/200
  • ***Butting In***

I no nothing about the Navy, but I know in the Army you can be an Engineer without an Engineering degree.  When my H ranked his branch choices (in ROTC) he put engineering at like #4 and he was a Political Science major.

***Butting out*** 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ah, ok, so there is OTJ training over time, not just a couple months. Make more sense now
    image Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • image JillyWtP:
    Ah, ok, so there is OTJ training over time, not just a couple months. Make more sense now

Yes. They have A-school for basic engineering, Power school for basic nuclear principles, and Prototype (which is what H is doing now) where they are working on decommissioned nuclear submarines getting hands on experience before entering the fleet.

67/200
  • image Maryboo247:

image JillyWtP:
    Ah, ok, so there is OTJ training over time, not just a couple months. Make more sense now

Yes. They have A-school for basic engineering, Power school for basic nuclear principles, and Prototype (which is what H is doing now) where they are working on decommissioned nuclear submarines getting hands on experience before entering the fleet.

My H is most likely going to be going through Power School and Prototype next year.  He has another interview next week in D.C. and he might be switching from subs to reactor engineering 

ETA: DH will have his B.S.  

Natural m/c @ 6 weeks - 3/1/2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image LyndseylovesHugh:

***Butting In***

I no nothing about the Navy, but I know in the Army you can be an Engineer without an Engineering degree.  When my H ranked his branch choices (in ROTC) he put engineering at like #4 and he was a Political Science major.

***Butting out*** 

Your degree/major typically has nothing to do with what branch you get. I'm pretty sure Jilly was asking how he was in the program wirth NO degree.
    [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/25tc21k.jpg[/IMG]
  • image *HoneydewChestnut*:
    image Maryboo247:

image JillyWtP:

My H is most likely going to be going through Power School and Prototype next year.  He has another interview next week in D.C. and he might be switching from subs to reactor engineering 

If he does, cross your fingers to get stationed in Charleston, SC instead of Saratoga Springs, NY (those are the only 2 places with moored training ships for Prototype).

67/200
  • image LyndseylovesHugh:

***Butting In***

***Butting out*** 

Are we married to the same guy?? This is exactly what MH did, same major and all! He didn't get it though. And I realize this is a pointless post!!

• image kpol8:
    image LyndseylovesHugh:

***Butting In***

***Butting out*** 

Are we married to the same guy?? This is exactly what MH did, same major and all! He didn't get it though. And I realize this is a pointless post!!

Wouldn't that be some shiit.

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/15np005.jpg[/IMG]

3/?
  • My husband is another one thats an 'engineer', but without the peice of paper the civilian world would have.  He's a nuclear engineer.  He did the training Maryboo mentioned (A School, Prototype, etc).  He did Prototype in Saratoga Springs (to the person that's H may be doing it soon), in fact going up there for him to teach it was on our wishlist for this move.  Didn't happen, I'm buried in boxes in California right now, but it would've gotten us pretty close to Back Home if it did...

BFP#1 11.9.10 (EDD 7.15.11) M/C 11.13.10 @5W1D
    BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11 due to Pre-E
    BFP#3 10.2.12 (EDD 6.12.13) MMC 11.24.12 @11.5w, had passed in 7th week
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    My Chart Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~