West Coast Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

German Shepard for adoption

My sister has a 2 year old female German Shepard that she would like to find a loving home for.  She MUST be an inside dog, as she is a black & red thick coated.  A reasonable re-homing fee required.  She is fixed, and up to date on her shots & heartworm.  Gets along great with kids & other dogs.  Very sweet disposition & temperament.  Here is a picture of "Sophie".

If you or anyone you know may be interested, let me know and I can put you in contact with her.

Re: German Shepard for adoption

• OMG, Sophie is so pretty!!! And German Shepard's are such sweet dogs! I hope someone that wants a dog will contact you or your sister. 

I just posted about my niece, but I am not sure if she would get along with her, being she is already 2 and my niece is older. 

May I ask why she wants to re-home her? 

• image SCJB143:

OMG, Sophie is so pretty!!! And German Shepard's are such sweet dogs! I hope someone that wants a dog will contact you or your sister. 

I just posted about my niece, but I am not sure if she would get along with her, being she is already 2 and my niece is older. 

May I ask why she wants to re-home her? 

She thinks that Sophie is very unhappy.  Sophie has a companion GS named Diesel and they both live outdoors as my sister lives on 2 acres.  They do have a doggy door to a detached, air conditioned garage.  I guess Sophie is just appearing depressed and my sister doesn't know what else to do.

• Has she tried Prozac?  Gracie had some serious anxiety issues for a while.  She destroyed pieces of furniture without hesitation, would chew off chunks of fur, peed and pooped maliciously, and seriously had some separation anxiety.  Two pills a day for about 6 months and she was back to acting normal.  And now, if she has an off day or we're anticipating a big change (vacation, party, fireworks), we slip her a pill.

And FWIW, the cost is minimal - she can fill the prescription at Walmart for $4.

image image
  • image nicoleg1982:

Has she tried Prozac?  Gracie had some serious anxiety issues for a while.  She destroyed pieces of furniture without hesitation, would chew off chunks of fur, peed and pooped maliciously, and seriously had some separation anxiety.  Two pills a day for about 6 months and she was back to acting normal.  And now, if she has an off day or we're anticipating a big change (vacation, party, fireworks), we slip her a pill.

And FWIW, the cost is minimal - she can fill the prescription at Walmart for $4.

I will definitely mention to this her, thanks.

• Are the dogs getting enough interaction and play time.  I know she has a companion but it is not the same as dedicated play time with your owner.  We have a German Shepherd that we rescued and he needs lots of stimulation or he gets sad and upset.  We also have another dog and a cat and even with them to play with during the day he needs more stimulation.
  • I would bet she is depressed because she is kept outside, away from her pack. Dogs are pack animals, why even have them as a pet if they live outside away from the family? My poor Emma was kept outside before we adopted her. She is the happiest dog ever now that she is inside and well cared for.

I hope your sister finds a good home for this dog where it will be kept inside with it's forever family. It deserves better. 

Follow me as I train for my 2nd marathon
    Race PRs {5K-23:55} {10K-48:54} {15K-1:24:30} {13.1-1:53:39} {26.2-4:30:43}
  • My MIL might be interested.  Their Bernese Mountain Dog passed away a few weeks ago and she has been looking for a new dog to adopt and to be a companion to their Irish Setter.  I will send her a copy of your posting.
    BabyFruit Ticker