Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I really hate people

Who get a dog or cat here and then throw them away like trash because they pcs and do not want to be bothered but taking them with them.

You (general) get a animal fully knowing that you will be leaving in a year or so and just toss them off to another family because you do not want to spend $250 and some time to move your animal as well.

It really burns my butt to see 4-5 free pet adds on certain websites because people do not want to live up the promises of taking care of said pet when they got them.

Re: I really hate people

• I understand your anger and agree that having pets is a life commitment. Some people don't realize the cost associated and before adopting should really have it explained to them (ie your pet will need x size carrier at approx PCS and these airlines charge x for size/weight, these animals cannot be trasported during x seasons).

I do prefer that people post ads in hopes of adopting out their pet if they can't take them (maybe they are PCSing to a place they can't have pets) rather than dumping them in the park. My H and I talk about this frequently and it breaks my heart how many animals don't have a home here.

• I know, just tonight I was on our "Yard Sale" site and there were at least three dogs. Two GSDs and a black lab that were being sold/given away because of a PCS. One of the dogs is four, and I worry that nobody will want her because she has a skin condition. DH and I are actually considering getting her. She deserves a forever home.
  • image AF_EOD_wife:
    . One of the dogs is four, and I worry that nobody will want her because she has a skin condition. DH and I are actually considering getting her. She deserves a forever home.

I agree! Is it the lab or one of the GSDs? What skin condition?

67/200
  • image Maryboo247:

image AF_EOD_wife:
    . One of the dogs is four, and I worry that nobody will want her because she has a skin condition. DH and I are actually considering getting her. She deserves a forever home.

It's one of the GSD. The ad didn't say what the diagnosis was, but that it required cortisone creme. Our dog has dermatitis that we use a special wash for on his lower back, so we're okay with it. But with her age plus the special need of medication, I worry that nobody will want to take her OR that somebody will take her and won't care for her the way she needs/deserves. Kwim? 

• image AF_EOD_wife:
    image Maryboo247:

image AF_EOD_wife:

It's one of the GSD. The ad didn't say what the diagnosis was, but that it required cortisone creme. Our dog has dermatitis that we use a special wash for on his lower back, so we're okay with it. But with her age plus the special need of medication, I worry that nobody will want to take her OR that somebody will take her and won't care for her the way she needs/deserves. Kwim? 

Yeah. Keep us updated! 

67/200
  • A and I talk about this pretty frequently. Unfortunately, he is the kind of person that would see a dog without a home and adopt it immediately, without thinking through the logistics.

He's already tried to convince to me adopt three different dogs since we got here. Everytime he brings it up I remind him that it cost us $1500 to get one dog over here - how much does he think it's going to cost us to get two back to the US? Plus the extra food, water, de-worming (which they need every couple of months here just because it's so gross), flea and tick meds, etc...

A lot of people just think that it would be fun to have a dog and "oh, aren't I doing such a great thing by giving it a home" without considering the realities of their lifestyle. I mean, in all reality A probably shouldn't have adopted our dog when he did. At the time, he was single, living alone, and working 12 hour days. Dogs need more interaction than that, and definitely more potty breaks.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers