West Coast Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Why do I do this to myself? (dog related)

My dad wants to get my niece a puppy for Christmas. Well her mom (my sister) only wants a Boxer, but her dad (they do not live together) said he does not care. So, I have been looking on Petfinder for my dad so he will get a rescue dog for her. If not he will go to a pet shop or just anyone in the paper to make sure on Christmas morning my niece has a puppy. (he is 75 and does not know better)

Well, I was looking today and came across the cutest puppy! I so want my dad to get him for my niece! Heck I want him, but as it is now I can not take vacations without worrying about if they accept pets, ect. (My dog has MAJOR separation  anxiety)   

OK this is the link, sorry i do not know how to make it clicky!

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?N=21&Nf=coords|GCLT+27.830804868772,-81.716+161|lat|BTWN+26.384804868772+29.276804868772|lon|BTWN+-19925.022+19761.59&Ns=coords(27.830804868772,-81.716)||shelter_name||animal_type||pet_breed_1||pet_breed_2||identifier&Ntk=animal_type|record_type|status&Ntt=Dog|pet|A&distance=100&lat=27.830804868772&location=florida&lon=-81.716&pet_breed&startsearch=Search

Re: Why do I do this to myself? (dog related)

• The link was clicky, but it didn't direct me to one particular dog... just the listings in general.

PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • He's cute, but I thought you were looking for a boxer?  It says he's a terrier.
  • Sorry, I was not clear. Her mom and dad do not live together. So her mom said only a boxer could live at her house, her dad said he did not care what type dog it was. It is really not easy finding a boxer puppy from a rescue, so this dog would stay at her dads house. She is there more than half the time anyway.
  • I think it is nice they want to get her a dog- but who is going to take care of it? I'm sure i don't have to tell you how much work puppies are, and since you are getting one from a rescue you know how many dogs/cats end up in rescues because their owners just decide they don't want them, or can't care for them anymore.

How old is your neice? Will she be involved in taking care of the puppy or it's just something she wants right now and will change her mind in 3 weeks.. don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be negative nancy, but i think we see cute little puppies and say ohhhh i want him and don't reallythink about all the work that actually goes into them.

Our 2 dogs are a handful and some days i wonder what i was thinking, like when I want to go on an over night trip but don't have anyone to keep the dogs.. but I chose to have dogs and they are stuck w/ me for life so I'll deal w/ that.  I would just be sure that her father has the same attitude about animals..that they are there through for better or for worse and he can't give it back {my sister adopted a dog from a rescue then for various reasons she decided she couldn't keep the dog, it made me so sad when she said she "returned" him.. }

sorry, i hope that didn't sound all preachy.

http://lifeisbeachykeenblog.wordpress.com
  • I'd keep looking for the boxer.  That way the dog can go where ever your niece goes.  You still have 3 months to find one.  Unfortunately, more puppies pop up on petfinder every day.

• image StingShark425:

I think it is nice they want to get her a dog- but who is going to take care of it? I'm sure i don't have to tell you how much work puppies are, and since you are getting one from a rescue you know how many dogs/cats end up in rescues because their owners just decide they don't want them, or can't care for them anymore.

How old is your neice? Will she be involved in taking care of the puppy or it's just something she wants right now and will change her mind in 3 weeks.. don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be negative nancy, but i think we see cute little puppies and say ohhhh i want him and don't reallythink about all the work that actually goes into them.

Our 2 dogs are a handful and some days i wonder what i was thinking, like when I want to go on an over night trip but don't have anyone to keep the dogs.. but I chose to have dogs and they are stuck w/ me for life so I'll deal w/ that.  I would just be sure that her father has the same attitude about animals..that they are there through for better or for worse and he can't give it back {my sister adopted a dog from a rescue then for various reasons she decided she couldn't keep the dog, it made me so sad when she said she "returned" him.. }

I know how dogs are. We have one and we only go on a vacation if he can come now. Her parents also know. My sister has a Boxer that is rotten, that is why she only wants another boxer. Both her parents are agreeing that she can have a dog. The only thing is if the dog is not a boxer it has to live at her dads house, and he is ok with that. Actually he is excited that she will have a animal of her own and is more than happy to care for it. My niece is 8 and LOVES animals and has wanted one for years. So, yes the dog will be very well taken care of and neither of her parents (as much as I do not like my sister) would have agreed to it if they were not willing to take responsibility.  

And no you did not sound preachy, I am the first one to say something about animals. 

• image StingShark425:

I think it is nice they want to get her a dog- but who is going to take care of it? I'm sure i don't have to tell you how much work puppies are, and since you are getting one from a rescue you know how many dogs/cats end up in rescues because their owners just decide they don't want them, or can't care for them anymore.

I know how dogs are. We have one and we only go on a vacation if he can come now. Her parents also know. My sister has a Boxer that is rotten, that is why she only wants another boxer. Both her parents are agreeing that she can have a dog. The only thing is if the dog is not a boxer it has to live at her dads house, and he is ok with that. Actually he is excited that she will have a animal of her own and is more than happy to care for it. My niece is 8 and LOVES animals and has wanted one for years. So, yes the dog will be very well taken care of and neither of her parents (as much as I do not like my sister) would have agreed to it if they were not willing to take responsibility.  

And no you did not sound preachy, I am the first one to say something about animals. 

• I'd be the first to say how AMAZING boxers are... But they're SUPER hyper! We have two and just got the second about a week ago. She's a puppy and more than a handful! She requires more attention and patience than my 3 mo. old. I constantly have to watch to make sure Molly (our baby boxer) isnt biting or pushing Annabelle around. Is your niece old enough to not have to worry about being pushed around? Cos they're just like their name says.. Boxers. They jump and play rough and require a LOT of space and play time.

But I hope you guys find a puppy to fit your needs!! I love getting puppies on Christmas! haha 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Ashleygoo:

I'd be the first to say how AMAZING boxers are... But they're SUPER hyper! We have two and just got the second about a week ago. She's a puppy and more than a handful! She requires more attention and patience than my 3 mo. old. I constantly have to watch to make sure Molly (our baby boxer) isnt biting or pushing Annabelle around. Is your niece old enough to not have to worry about being pushed around? Cos they're just like their name says.. Boxers. They jump and play rough and require a LOT of space and play time.

But I hope you guys find a puppy to fit your needs!! I love getting puppies on Christmas! haha 

Oh, I just saw you posted that they already have a boxer! How sweet! Our oldest is 3 (or will be on the 12th), and he's FINALLY calming down! haha I cannot wait until Molly is closer to 3 and calm! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes my niece is old enough. When she was little my sister had 2 boxers. The older one died and Cooper, the one she has now was a puppy and would knock Sawyer (my niece) over, just playing with her. So yes we know what boxers do. Heck sometimes Cooper could knock me over. 

But, just to clarify the dog is most likely going to be at her dads. So he does not care the type of dog as long as it is a puppy/young dog.   Sawyer does not care what kind it is. Heck, she has been asking for a dog for so long and her parents would not agree she was asking for a shark this year. LOL (or a puppy of course)

• While I agree that petfinder is an amazing resource, if they want nothing besides a boxer, I would contact a boxer rescue and local breeders that are affiliated with the Boxer Club Of America. 

Most people involved with breed rescues also are responsible breeders, so they would be able to steer you in the direction of a really reputable breeder who is willing to provide all the necessary OFA health clearances on the parents that boxers should have.  Also, many breeders keep back puppies to show themselves and a couple of months later their teeth aren't quite perfect, conformation is not what they were seeking, they are not as outgoing as needed for the ring, etc.  Then you have an opportunity to have a slightly older puppy that is often already crate trained, house broken, lead trained, and well exposed to the world - that is also very healthy and clearanced for genetic abnormalities as best as we can screen. 

Best of luck!

• Here's a link to Boxer rescue in FL. They have a male puppy (10-12 weeks old) avaialble for adoption.

http://www.flbr.org/

Puppies are a lot of work, so they may want to get a dog that is a little bit older, that's housetrained already and may know a few commands.

• Thank you all for the Boxer recs. However, it is just my sister that wants a Boxer, not my niece. And the dog will more than likely not be at my sisters, but, at my nieces fathers. My niece is at her dads more than half the week. My BIL does not care what type of dog as long as his daughter is happy. So really it could be a mut, my niece and her daddy would be ok, since they are the ones that will care for it.
  • Ask your vet about prozac for your dog's anxiety.  It has done wonders for my youngest pooch.

Also, I have a friend that does boxer and pit rescue in CA.  I know they often ship dogs cross-country, if you're interested.

image image
  • Check your local shelter, SPCA, and/or Humane Society.  Every single one of our pets is a rescue and whenever we get another it will be a rescue.  So many dogs have no homes and would be happy to make your niece their forever friend.