North Dakota Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

::AlaskanAli::

Ok so... I don't want to sound like a complete moron... but I have to ask.

I was watching an episode of Ice Road Truckers on Sunday and (I don't know if you watch) but there's a female trucker this season and she lives in Alaska - I think - she was delivering a bear exclusion cage, and said that living in Alaska you have to  be aware even when you're stepping out your front door because there could be a bear.

So... have you ever had a bear roaming around close to your house? 

Re: ::AlaskanAli::

• ::butting in::

Sarah - I just wanted to say that I'm relieved to see you didn't post the exact same thing as me at the almost exact same time.  :)  That would've been a little weird! 

Anniversary
  • image Kahtie41:

::butting in::

Sarah - I just wanted to say that I'm relieved to see you didn't post the exact same thing as me at the almost exact same time.  :)  That would've been a little weird! 

I thought the same thing! In fact I was thinking about how freaking weird it would be if you were asking her the same thing as me. LOL. Alison is Ms. Popular today!

• BIP..I don't live in AK, but where I live in NJ there are A LOT of bears... and we have a few of our own that live on our property that we see often.  We don't have them, but I know people that have Bear Sirens (think mace spray but a horn that is supposed to scare a bear away).

People have no idea that this type of area excists in NJ..but yep, i've got herds of deer, flocks of wild turkey (20+ of them), bears and we've now heard from 2 neighbors they've seen a mountain lion recently.

• image Bigwuhead:

BIP..I don't live in AK, but where I live in NJ there are A LOT of bears... and we have a few of our own that live on our property that we see often.  We don't have them, but I know people that have Bear Sirens (think mace spray but a horn that is supposed to scare a bear away).

People have no idea that this type of area excists in NJ..but yep, i've got herds of deer, flocks of wild turkey (20+ of them), bears and we've now heard from 2 neighbors they've seen a mountain lion recently.

I definitely knew that NJ consisted of more then tanorexic GTL-ers on The Shore... but I honestly didn't know there was this kind of nature in NJ. That's pretty awesome, IMO. Ted would love to live somewhere like this, and the longer I live in my little suburb of OC the more I want to get away in the country also!

• Well I wouldn't say that I live in fear every time I step out of my door, but yes I've had a couple close encounters. I've only ever had black bear encounters though and they aren't as agressive as browns. We had one come up on our porch and then climb in the back of the truck and started bouncing up and down. We've seen them wandering up and down our street. They come into the parking lot at work all the time.

We have to be really careful about garbage. Garbage cans have to be stored indoors or in bear-proof dumpsters and you can't put your garbage out on garbage day until just an hour or two before they show up to pick it up. All of the public garbage cans in the touristy areas are bear-proof and they always baffle the tourists because they're different from normal trash cans. We also have to be careful about cleaning our grill after using it, where we clean fish, and you're not supposed to put out bird feeders after early spring.

• Now that you mention it I do remember the public trash cans being different when I was there like 4 or 5 years ago. I don't remember them clearly, but I do remember they were different.

I also remember people in AK telling us that you really have to watch our for moose because they can be (or are) aggressive. When we were going to our hotel our shuttle driver told us that one of his coworkers was chased into the hotel by a moose. Scurry.

• image sarlah:

Now that you mention it I do remember the public trash cans being different when I was there like 4 or 5 years ago. I don't remember them clearly, but I do remember they were different.

I also remember people in AK telling us that you really have to watch our for moose because they can be (or are) aggressive. When we were going to our hotel our shuttle driver told us that one of his coworkers was chased into the hotel by a moose. Scurry.

Yeah, moose can be really scary. I had a close encounter with a ginormo moose in Canada and it was quite nerve-wracking. You don't realize how incredibly huge they are until you're right in front of one. Thankfully we don't have any here in Juneau, but they do have them all over the place in Anchorage and Fairbanks. Almost every winter there's footage in the news of a moose going into a grocery store or a hospital or something.

• image AlaskanAlison:
    image sarlah:

Now that you mention it I do remember the public trash cans being different when I was there like 4 or 5 years ago. I don't remember them clearly, but I do remember they were different.

Yeah, moose can be really scary. I had a close encounter with a ginormo moose in Canada and it was quite nerve-wracking. You don't realize how incredibly huge they are until you're right in front of one. Thankfully we don't have any here in Juneau, but they do have them all over the place in Anchorage and Fairbanks. Almost every winter there's footage in the news of a moose going into a grocery store or a hospital or something.

Sounds like they need a moose barrier! lol.