Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My random cat question...

Is there anything, other than old age, that could make a cat's fur turn gray? Mocha has gotten a lot grayer in the last three-four months and I refuse to believe it's because he's old. Although I did realize I've been saying that he's five since we adopted him. Two years ago. So really he's seven. But still, seven isn't that old. I've never had a cat turn gray this early, so I'm just curious.

Thoughts?

Re: My random cat question...

• People and pets go grey at different times. We've all heard of people going grey very young. Heck I've had grey hairs since at least 30. Parker and most other Danes with black around the face greyed around 2 years old.
  • I've never had a cat go gray.  I didn't know they could do that Embarrassed  Cal has had a big of distinguished gray on his chin and lips since we adopted him (at about 2 years old).  But cats?!  I had no idea.

On a completely unrelated note, I am making your southwestern egg rolls as I type this (waiting for the spinach to be done thawing...everything else is mixed up and ready to go) and OMG.  They are delicious already.  I can't wait for dinner time!

• Seven is considered to be a senior cat, which according to a book I have here, is roughly equal to 42 human years. 

Maybe think of Mocha as a wise professor....Wink

• image Mrs.Shellfish:

Seven is considered to be a senior cat, which according to a book I have here, is roughly equal to 42 human years. 

Sad  But my cats aren't allowed to get old. lol

I don't think it would be as noticeable if he weren't such a dark, chocolate brown color.

Anyway, thanks ladies!

And KatiesCats, I hope you love the egg rolls! You should try them with homemade salsa sometime. I have that recipe if you ever want it. Smile 

• image Mrs.Shellfish:

Seven is considered to be a senior cat, which according to a book I have here, is roughly equal to 42 human years. 

OMG!!!  NO!  Our Alice and our Max are about 7.  Alice is possibly much older...she has cataracts and if they're congenital, then she could be 7, and if not, she's probably 10+.  My cats are NOT...I repeat NOT...allowed to get old.  I've never thought of them as middle aged before.  Crying

• Sad  Eek.  Sorry.  I try not to think about it myself.  Especially since E&B's predecessors died at 6 and 9.  As it is now, E&B are about to graduate from college.  Huh?

But my parents cat, Lucky lived to be 21.

And both of my grandmothers lived until their mid-90's