Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pit Boss and BSL Passed :(

Anyone else watch this show? DH and I freaking love it...

Our city just passed a BSL and we have a month to build a new "place" for Roscoe in the backyard complete with a concrete slab/wire walls/and roof PLUS we have to take out a separate home insurance policy on him...

I know when you choose to adopt a dog of his breed you take on the possibility of this happening, but we are still livid...especially about the fact that we have to build an expensive area that Roscoe will hardly ever stay in AND that we did not even know the city was discussing passing a BSL..

What can we do?!

Re: Pit Boss and BSL Passed :(

• That really sucks, is moving a possiblity?
    A Spring Day on the Katy Trail
  • I'm so sorry - that's a shame.

There's probably a group in your area that was fighting the passage of the new BSL - I bet that they'll have lots of protests/etc. now.

• OMG that sucks!!! I'm sorry.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Moving is not going to happen probably...

We have a lot of friend with PB's and one of the guys is doing a petition of sorts...we may even try to all go to the next city council meeting...

• I just saw that! I need to talk to our friends about going...
  • What would we need to bring to the meeting or say?
  • I would bring some information about studies conducted re: dog bites and pit bulls. Bad Rap might be a good place to start.
  • ?We don?t want to wait until someone gets hurts,? Brandon Alderwoman Yvonne Bianchi said.

Yeah, it sounds like super educated people are making laws there. (Sarcasm) Gets hurts?

ETA: 

?I have actually had people calling us and thanking us for finally doing what was right,? Bianchi said. ?There are people that walk all the time, but they were actually afraid (of the dogs) to get out and walk.?

What??  According to that logic [that the law passed because there were strays] ALL dog owners should be required to have a pen in their yards.  I'm sure not every stray dog is a pit.

I'm angry for you.  

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Yes they do sound like idiots...

Yet my neighbor's huge black lab can roam free, run up to everyone barking, and come into my yard and crap everywhere...

• That totally sucks and it pisses me off too!  Hopefully you and your friends (and other members of the community) can get things changed.
  • Ugh. That's terrible. These links have some really great info that you could use to fight it. Hope these help

http://stopbsl.com/take-action/what-not-to-say/

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/BSLindex.htm

This link has some great alternatives that are proven to actually target the real problem: irresponsible owners!!!

http://stopbsl.com/alternatives-to-bsl/

• I'm so sorry. People are so ignorant is it is scary. Your pittie is beautiful. Are they 'requiring' that you keep your dog locked out in the back? I'm a bit confused. UGH. Please keep us updated.
    imageimage
    You will forever be my best friend. I can almost feel our hugs. I will ensure everyone will know (now and in the future) what a genuine, kind, loving person you were...I already miss your laughter and our daily conversations. I love you, Samantha. May 20, 1983- February 20, 2012
  • image andreas4dogs:
    I'm so sorry. People are so ignorant is it is scary. Your pittie is beautiful. Are they 'requiring' that you keep your dog locked out in the back? I'm a bit confused. UGH. Please keep us updated.

I assume that the dog only needs to be in the pen if they're outside. Inside isn't a problem.

• I did some searching and it says in order to be compliant, the dog must be registered and the owners must build a pen with a concrete floor and a chain. 6' fence walls and a ceiling. My own dogs are never outside unsupervised, plus I rent, so I would be livid if I had to build something like that. It would never be used, first of all, secondly, it perpetuates stereotypes that dogs are ignored and unsupervised. It's like a scarlet letter for owning a pit bull.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • I would contact a lawyer, you can try contacting the ASPCA and see if they have a recommended list.

There are instances of BSL that have been struck down as unconstitutional recently, particularly when they do not grandfather in people who already own a pit.  If you can find the right attorney they may be willing to represent you pro bono so I would look into it.

image "...Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet..."
  • image MrsOjoButtons:
    I did some searching and it says in order to be compliant, the dog must be registered and the owners must build a pen with a concrete floor and a chain. 6' fence walls and a ceiling. My own dogs are never outside unsupervised, plus I rent, so I would be livid if I had to build something like that. It would never be used, first of all, secondly, it perpetuates stereotypes that dogs are ignored and unsupervised. It's like a scarlet letter for owning a pit bull.

This is what I thought she was saying. Gosh, the people who think these BSL laws are a good idea are so ignorant it is disgusting. So, it is better to leave the dog outside isolated in the yard with this 'extra' protection? This will make a pittie a better dog? (according to the morons who propose this?)

imageimage
    You will forever be my best friend. I can almost feel our hugs. I will ensure everyone will know (now and in the future) what a genuine, kind, loving person you were...I already miss your laughter and our daily conversations. I love you, Samantha. May 20, 1983- February 20, 2012
  • Yea it's just a required concrete pen for when he is outside, although we JUST finished replacing our huge wood fence in the backyard so Roscoe can finally run around free :(

• image GodsRainbow1984:

Yea it's just a required concrete pen for when he is outside, although we JUST finished replacing our huge wood fence in the backyard so Roscoe can finally run around free :(

I'm sorry you guys are going through this...keep us updated on what happens. I hope you can keep Roscoe despite the stupidity with the laws in your town!

imageimage
  • We will do what we have to do in order to keep him...we are NOT giving him up...
  • image GodsRainbow1984:
    We will do what we have to do in order to keep him...we are NOT giving him up...

Thank you for feeling this way - unfortunately, so many don't. 

R is absolutely adorable. Are there any restrictions on taking your dog in public (does he have to be muzzled, etc.)? If he is well behaved I would look into training him for therapy work. This is a time when your community could use some great representatives of the breed!

• image **ZippityDoDa**:

image GodsRainbow1984:
    We will do what we have to do in order to keep him...we are NOT giving him up...

Thank you for feeling this way - unfortunately, so many don't. 

R is absolutely adorable. Are there any restrictions on taking your dog in public (does he have to be muzzled, etc.)? If he is well behaved I would look into training him for therapy work. This is a time when your community could use some great representatives of the breed!

thankfully they are not required him to be muzzled...

I have considered therapy training