Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Tried cottage cheese and...

Her poop was total mush.  I picked up the wrong one, though, it was the Lactaid brand for people who are lactose intolerant.  do you think that made a difference?  I thought that the cottage cheese was supposed to help the digestive system, not make it worse.  thoughts?

Re: Tried cottage cheese and...

• I don't think I have ever heard that cottage cheese helps the digestive system.....

For soft stool you can add a very small amount of canned pumpkin(100% pure pumpkin) or sweet potato. For long term digestive help yogurt is good as long as the pup doesn't have an issue with dairy.

I would stop the cottage cheese and try the above. I don't think the lactaid brand would make it worse.

• What Houstongirl said.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Did you feed a lot of it, or just a little?  I'm betting if she had issues with the Lactaid brand she'd also have issues with a regular brand and that she's just adjusting to it.  Fish oil is very beneficial, but it causes poo issues in our cats if we stop giving it to them and then suddenly start up at a high dose rather than gradually increasing the amount.  If we do it slowly, though, they're fine.

Were you adding it for beneficial cultures or something?  If so, Lactaid might not be the best brand.  Most of the brands of foods that are OK for people who are lactose intolerant have been ultra-pasteurized instead of regularly pasteurized.  That pretty much knocks out any good (or bad) bacteria while making it more easily digestible to people who are lactose intolerant, if I remember correctly.

• Oh, and if anything, I'd assume that the Lactaid brand actually helped her butt problems out.  In my experience, regular stuff would have been much worse (says the lady who only lets her monstas lick out her ice cream and cereal bowls when the dairy is lactose free due to cat butt problems).
  • I thought that it did the same thing for the stomach that yogurt does, but i will switch to yogurt.
  • depends on the dog, and how much you gave.  i know some vets recommend cottage cheese, but i honestly don't know why.  many dogs are lactose intolerant, lots of dogs can't handle high fat foods, and some dogs don't handle change well.  yogurt has probiotics in it, which is why it's recommended, but you also have to know your dogs.  my dogs are 70 and 80 lbs, and more than a spoonful of yogurt does a number on their tummies.  i personally prefer probiotics in capsule form for them.
    Have you seen my monkey?
  • image nital:
    i personally prefer probiotics in capsule form for them.

That's how I feel.  In order to get the same amount of active cultures from yogurt, you would have to give a ton of yogurt, which would probably cause issues.  To really get the benefit of probiotics, I would use a supplement.

My vet does recommend cottage cheese to coat stomachs and I give it in small amounts (maybe a tablespoon in a kong with fruit), but a lot of dogs have lactose issues so I would give it cautiously.  

My sweet boy
    imageimage