Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help[email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I don't get this theory...

Ok, so everyone says that because my pup is a little sassy and over-confident to other dogs, that she needs to go to the dog park so other dogs can "put her in her place".  I don't get this theory.  I want to go to a dog park to watch someone's dog possibly bite my dog because she barks in their face?  how does that not make me anxious, which, in turn, will make her anxious?

i would like to take her one day but now this has me worried a little bit.  does anyone undersand what i mean?  is it not as bad as i think?

Re: I don't get this theory...

• People are stupid. Your puppy is a puppy and you shouldn't have to apologize for it.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • thanks Josie Posy:  I totally understand that she should be around other dogs more and i WANT to try a dog park eventually, i just don't think she should have to learn from a negative experience.
  • So how old is your puppy now?

Puppies have a certain window when they have a puppy license, and larger dogs (most), will give them the benefit of the doubt.

What do you do when your dog barks in other dogs' faces? Does she do that when she is off leash?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am guessing that they just mean that your pup could learn from other dogs.  Dogs can teach a puppy manners without biting it. They may snarl or snap/nip at her to correct her if she is being rude, but for the most part, that is all than happens.

Dogs communicate differently than people, and if your pup isn't around other dogs, she may be missing those cues. You need to be aware of cues from other dogs so that you can prevent problems if your pup is missing them.

• The theory is that dogs teach each other acceptable play. They yip and snap at each other if the other dog bites too hard while playing. They growl to let other dogs know to back off. Other dogs teach the manners that we as humans aren't as good at teaching.

I think socialization is very important for a dog to feel comfortable and confident, but I don't agree that the dog park is necessarily the place to start this process. I had a dog killed at the dog park, so I'm not really a fan of them anyways, but in my experience, it's good to have doggy playdates with dogs you trust and responsible owners (not everyone at the dog park is responsible).

Many obedience classes offer social time and also instill confidence in dogs by teaching them the basics. An obedient dog is a confident one.

• image TheBridesMom:

I am guessing that they just mean that your pup could learn from other dogs.  Dogs can teach a puppy manners without biting it. They may snarl or snap/nip at her to correct her if she is being rude, but for the most part, that is all than happens.

Dogs communicate differently than people, and if your pup isn't around other dogs, she may be missing those cues. You need to be aware of cues from other dogs so that you can prevent problems if your pup is missing them.

Well said, TBM. As the other have stated it, it's not about other dogs attacking yours, it's about your pup learning proper manners from the others. 

• image TheBridesMom:

I am guessing that they just mean that your pup could learn from other dogs.  Dogs can teach a puppy manners without biting it. They may snarl or snap/nip at her to correct her if she is being rude, but for the most part, that is all than happens.

When I went to bed last night, I thought about it and I agree with TBM. The socialization is important, but going just so she is "put in her place" just sounds odd to me.

How old is she now?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image TheBridesMom:

Ditto this - coming from someone who's dog has some mild doggy-communication issues that probably stem from inadequate socialization as a puppy.

Do you have any friends with dogs that you could do playdates with rather than going to a big, crowded dog park? That might be a good way to ease you both into it.

• you want your pup around well socialized adults.  i wouldn't want my dogs corrected by other dogs at the dog park, because i don't know them, and i don't know if they'll eat my dog.  on the other hand, C is good at teaching dogs manners.  if dogs pester her, she'll growl.  if they keep pestering her, she air snaps.  if they continue, she will give a quick correction on the muzzle.  she doesn't leave a mark, she doesn't really hurt the dog, she doesn't traumatize the dog.  but they do learn to back off when she growls.
    Have you seen my monkey?
  • thanks girls.  she is almost 5 months now.  quite a bit bigger than her pic, probably about 20- 25 pounds total.
  • Have you considered going to puppy classes to get socialization in a controlled environment?  Also, you do really want to socialize her with known adult dogs who can help her learn and get socialization.  I wouldn't want to do that at a dog park where things can be unknown at this point, but on a small scale with known adult dogs.
    My sweet boy
    imageimage