Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Craft/PR Question - Dog Bed Fabric

I want to recover Zoey's Costco dog bed in something cuter. When trying ti pick out fabrics, I keep getting drawn to upholstery fabrics, because of the thickness. However, most of them say dry clean only on fabrics.com, so I'm guessing that's not what I want.

What kind of fabric should I use? If anyone wants to help pick a specific fabric, I want something mod and girly.

Re: Craft/PR Question - Dog Bed Fabric

• I bought some upholstery fabric for a bed I'm making for troopersmom. It is the kind of velvety feeling fabric (like what you see on a recliner) and when I washed, it did fine.  I think it just depends on what kind of upholstery fabric it is.

If not, I've had good luck with fleece standing up to wear, tear and washing.  I don't like cotton because I have big dogs who sometimes like to dig their beds to get it in position.  It rips too easily without interfacing.

• Try an outdoor fabric. They have great thickness and are made to be in the weather so they are washable too. Also, if you find an outdoor fabric that you like in a patio furniture catalog, typically you can order just the fabric from the catalog.

My siggy is broken. It has made me grumpy.
  • Go for outdoor fabric. That's what I did for Rusty's dog bed.

He's a goon though and really likes the fleecy fabric, so I did one side fleece and the other side outdoor fabric. It is also zippered.

image Oops, I got into Dad's hair goop. At least I gotta mohawk! My Blog Updated: March 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image pattymctatty:

Go for outdoor fabric. That's what I did for Rusty's dog bed.

He's a goon though and really likes the fleecy fabric, so I did one side fleece and the other side outdoor fabric. It is also zippered.

My princesses refuse to touch outdoor fabric.  Their favorite is fleece and they'll tolerate upholstery fabric but not the outdoor stuff.  Brats!Stick out tongue

• That's a good idea with the outdoor fabrics - how cute is this?

I also keep getting drawn to this upholstery fabric

• I wonder why it says dry clean.  The page for the last one at least says it is 100% cotton, which is what I make my collars/leashes out of and those are machine washable.
  • image dixie_and_indie:
    I wonder why it says dry clean.  The page for the last one at least says it is 100% cotton, which is what I make my collars/leashes out of and those are machine washable.

That's what I was thinking too!

Maybe I could machine wash and just not dry it.

• That is how I tell people to wash/dry my collars and how I do my girls' bed covers.
  • We made our dog bed out of a flat sheet. It has lasted really well, and we used fabric on the sides for a little bit of contrast.

It is also cheap (like me)!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker