Toledo Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I've decided to go back to school

The best part is, B is not that supportive of it and I really dont give a F.

I need out of the construction industry. I have decided to go into medical, just not sure of what. I even stopped at Owens and picked up a cataloge.

Re: I've decided to go back to school

• You go girl!!  I'm glad you've decided to get out of the insanity.
  • L, thanks. Did you know he fired me in April?
  • good luck! My neighbor teaches some pediatric clinicals for owens and has nothing but good things to say about the programs there.
  • Yeah.  Blessing in disguise.  That dude is psycho!!
  • L - yes and yes.

I decided that I cant keep going back to construction. Toledo sucks and I dont want to end up unemployed in another 2 years. I decided I can always go to school, get a job, get my foot in the door and continue my education.

• I spent 9 years in the mortgage business and thank God I got out when I did.  I took a he!! of a pay cut and had to start all over again but it was worth it.  You'll be so glad you did this in the long run!!
  • I was set on declaring pre-med to go into pediatrics, but the summer before I started college my mom talked me into education.  After having such trouble finding a teaching job, I really wish I would've done the medical field.  I had and still have such passion for it.  My brother is in his 2nd year of college going into nursing.  Smart smart move, bro-ski.

GOOD LUCK!!!!  And GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

*Arianna & Matthew*
    July 26, 2008- The Best Day of Our Lives

3 years married already??

Wedding "Highlight" Video from our Reception!
    Wedding Planning Bio!! My Married Bio!!

• I want to go back too. Our plan is for me to quit my job next year spend 2 years at home with the kids and once they are in school I will go back for nursing. Being at the hospital so much made me realize thats what I want to do.

Sorry B is not supportive but you got to make yourself happy in the long run, ya know?

• Good for you!!!  :)
    Causes that are important to me: Planned Pethood Graham's Foundation NOCC
  • That's exciting! What about radiology? Or sonography?
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Baby GIRL EDD 5.21.13

My Blog | My Chart

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

2012 Races Heart Half Marathon 3.18.2012 - 1:51:01 (PR)
    Flying Pig Marathon 5.6.12 - 3:50:28 (PR)
    Leadville Trail Marathon 6.30.12 - 7:32:23 (not a typo)
    Esri 5K 7.25.12 - 21:57 (PR)
  • My co-workers wife is in the PSI program.  it's next to the south end grill (or whatever it's called now).  She really likes it.  Going for OTA I think or PTA
  • how exciting for you!!!!  sorry that b isn't being supportive, but in the long run it comes down to what's best for you (and your family). 
    Kris....I'm finally a Mrs! 10/11/08
  • Good for you! B will be happy when you're in a good job making decent money, though he's not supportive now. You want to be happy and provide for your family too, hopefully he will understand that someday. I've looked into some programs myself, but not very hard. I think healthcare is a great field to get into right now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Good for you Angi!!!! Lourdes and Mercy are both really good schools. Owens is good for pre-req's but not much else IMO. I hope you enjoy going back! As much as I complain about school I really do love it.
  • agreed with Tamera.  You can pickup some pre-recs there but until they get their accredidation back you'll be hard pressed to find a job in Toledo let alone anywhere else. 

I know Mercy system wasn't taking grads and UTMC had a "bridge course" that Owens students had to take before they could get hired.  I don't know about promedica tho

• My husband says great things about PSI.  He gets a lot of students in their OTA and PTA programs doing clinicals.  It is right up there with Mercy in cost though.  I'm not sure what their waiting list is like, but I know Owens you can have a long wait to even get into their programs, but they are like 75% cheaper too.

I have information from PSI if you want it.  I've been thinking of going there, I was supposed to go meet with someone but cancelled.  oooooh, maybe we can go to school together.  I've been leaning towards PTA because OTA just doesn't seem like me, my husband told me they do a lot more of bathing of patients to teach them how to bathe themselves again and safely and I'm sorry, I just cannot do the old man wrinkly ball thing.  Not that as a PTA I wouldn't possibly see old balls, but you know what I mean.  Just another reason I give tons of credit to nurses, old balls.

Booze, it's what's for dinner image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birth - 7 lbs. 7 oz., 20 inches 1 Month - 9 lbs., 5 oz, 21 inches 2 Months - 11 lbs., 4.5 oz, 23 inches 4 Months - 14 lbs, 1 oz, 26.5 inches 6 months - 16 lbs, 1 oz, 28.75 inches 9 months - 18 lbs, 6 oz, 29.25 inches 1 Year - 21 lbs, 6 oz, 31 inches 2 Years - 28 lbs., 37 inches
  • I think it's great! You have to do what makes you happy and fulfilled. You'll do amazing.
  • I have a friend who I am pretty sure is at PSI as well.  He is going to be a PTA, and he loves it.  I have heard really great things about the PTA field too.  Sorry B isn't really supportive, but I do feel you are making a great decision.  Good luck!!
    Our baby girl!!
  • Depending on what area you want to go into...you really should consider Mercy College as well.  Years ago, when I was originally considering the nursing thing at Owens, many of my classmates ended up switching over to Mercy because they didn't have to take so many of the BS general ed classes.  That and the A&P instructor many of us got stuck with at Owens kinda ruined it for us.

Too, if nursing is a consideration, check out Lourdes.  They do not have a wait list, but admission is based on competitive admission is what they tell me.  I recently was contemplating a return to school and on a whim, decided to put some feelers out for nursing.  In the end, I should be starting Mercy College in January for Health Care Administration (a hybrid program for peopel who already have their bachelor degrees).

[url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][img]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/179/304/1790304.png[/img][/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - [url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com]Free Weight Loss[/url] Tools

The Shrinking Fat Chick
  • Coming out of lurking..... Embarrassed

Just wanted to give some advice on PSI.  My husband and I both went there, we both graduated from there with degrees from separate programs and we are stuck paying for student loans that were a waste!  The PTA program may be a little different but we both received our Associates degrees, mine in Medical Insurance/Medical Assisting & his in Health Information Technology.  Mercy, Promedica, UTMC or any other place that is associated with the hospitals in OH or MI would not even give us a second glance once they read PSI on our resumes.  We both on multiple occasions had meetings with HR departments to discuss the problems as to why were qualified for a position but again were not qualified.  Every answer was the same "Your degree means nothing because the schools accreditation is not recognized."  We both even tried to transfer our credits to take further schooling but nothing and I mean nothing transfers.  So we have a lovely bill each month for something that is of no use to us, it is always fun to pay for a loans totaling over $13,000 each.  I just would hate for someone get stuck like we did.  I am not sure how the PTA program works because that may different accreditation's but I would really look into things with employers & other schools before possibly wasting money.  Oh, and for what it is worth I did enjoy attending classes there, it was a nice atmosphere when they were located on Hill Ave. next to Pepsi.

• image Carrie6/18/2005:

Coming out of lurking..... Embarrassed

Just wanted to give some advice on PSI.  My husband and I both went there, we both graduated from there with degrees from separate programs and we are stuck paying for student loans that were a waste!  The PTA program may be a little different but we both received our Associates degrees, mine in Medical Insurance/Medical Assisting & his in Health Information Technology.  Mercy, Promedica, UTMC or any other place that is associated with the hospitals in OH or MI would not even give us a second glance once they read PSI on our resumes.  We both on multiple occasions had meetings with HR departments to discuss the problems as to why were qualified for a position but again were not qualified.  Every answer was the same "Your degree means nothing because the schools accreditation is not recognized."  We both even tried to transfer our credits to take further schooling but nothing and I mean nothing transfers.  So we have a lovely bill each month for something that is of no use to us, it is always fun to pay for a loans totaling over $13,000 each.  I just would hate for someone get stuck like we did.  I am not sure how the PTA program works because that may different accreditation's but I would really look into things with employers & other schools before possibly wasting money.  Oh, and for what it is worth I did enjoy attending classes there, it was a nice atmosphere when they were located on Hill Ave. next to Pepsi.

Gosh, that sucks so much!!! 

• image Carrie6/18/2005:

Coming out of lurking..... Embarrassed

That is good to know.  I have a bunch of stuff from them about PTA too.  I'll have to see if they are accredited.  The tuition is NOT cheap, like I said, it was as expensive as Mercy College.

Booze, it's what's for dinner image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birth - 7 lbs. 7 oz., 20 inches 1 Month - 9 lbs., 5 oz, 21 inches 2 Months - 11 lbs., 4.5 oz, 23 inches 4 Months - 14 lbs, 1 oz, 26.5 inches 6 months - 16 lbs, 1 oz, 28.75 inches 9 months - 18 lbs, 6 oz, 29.25 inches 1 Year - 21 lbs, 6 oz, 31 inches 2 Years - 28 lbs., 37 inches
  • I think medical is a great choice for the area that we live in... Seems like its the only field ever hiring....  Excited for you for the begining of something new =)  
    LilypieBR>Lilypie

Face image
    "Cheese!"