Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

NPR: Home appraisal?

Anybody had their home appraised? Mine is being appraised tomorrow, and I'm just really nervous. I'm cleaning now, but I've just never had this done before. I don't even know what they're going to be looking at! My real estate agent really hasn't told me anything, other than they're arriving between 9 and 11 a.m. tomorrow. 

Re: NPR: Home appraisal?

• I have never had it done but I think your agent should be more helpful, did you ask him/her? Hopefully there are some agents on here that can help but good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image samara826:
    I have never had it done but I think your agent should be more helpful, did you ask him/her? Hopefully there are some agents on here that can help but good luck!

I think started panicking a little too late to ask her now. The appraisal is tomorrow morning!  

• Stac928Stac928 member

For ours (we were the buyers) they came, they looked, took pictures, measured.  Then compared the house to similar properties and came up with the appraised value.

A Spring Day on the Katy Trail
  • image Stac928:

For ours (we were the buyers) they came, they looked, took pictures, measured.  Then compared the house to similar properties and came up with the appraised value.

See, that wouldn't have me worried.

But some websites say that they look for "defects" (holes, scratches, scuffs on the walls, rips in the carpet, they test the appliances, etc.). There's a scuff on one wall on the staircase, and my dishwasher doesn't work.  

• Stac928Stac928 member

Is it the appraisal or the inspection?

I don't think our appraiser looked at appliances and cosemetic stuff but the inspector did.  He tested the temp of the air coming from vents, tested every outlet, tested faucets, looked in the attic and basement, then wrote a report.  From that report we were able to ask for repairs before the sale was final.

ETA: the appraisal did look at the condition of the house because that affects value but didn't really look at the funciton of appliances, outlets, and safety stuff (that's what a meant to say)

A Spring Day on the Katy Trail
  • It's the appraisal. The inspection has already been done.  

• image LuvMyFurbaby:

It's the appraisal. The inspection has already been done.  

We had the rental unit we live in inspected for the owner to sell (while we were still living here).  We busted our asses to clean, but it doesn't really matter.  

The appraiser came by and documented how many bedrooms to bathrooms we had.  Took pictures of the kitchen, living spaces, bedrooms and bathrooms.  We were asked if there were any major issues (we said no). Then she left.   The appraiser wasn't inside our house for more than 10 minutes.  

• image romsoser:
    image LuvMyFurbaby:

It's the appraisal. The inspection has already been done.  

We had the rental unit we live in inspected for the owner to sell (while we were still living here).  We busted our asses to clean, but it doesn't really matter.  

The appraiser came by and documented how many bedrooms to bathrooms we had.  Took pictures of the kitchen, living spaces, bedrooms and bathrooms.  We were asked if there were any major issues (we said no). Then she left.   The appraiser wasn't inside our house for more than 10 minutes.  

Thanks!