Des Moines Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone live in or near Carroll?

I'm popping over from The Bump to see what anyone can tell me about this town.  DH might be transferred there.  What is housing like, what types of restaurants are there, is there nightlife, and what about for shopping?  Also, what are the people like since it's such a small town.

TIA!

Re: Anyone live in or near Carroll?

• I used to work there. We lived in Halbur and DH worked in Manning. If you can, look for houses in Templeton or Halbur. They are about 10 miles from Carroll but you get more bang for the buck. Property taxes in the city of Carroll itself are a bit high. If you are looking for a realtor, I highly recommend Pat O'Leary with Iowa Realty. He's the one that we used when we bought our house and also when we were transferred to sell our house.

Shopping in Carroll - hahah! We always went to either Des Moines, Ames or Omaha. It is about and hour and a half to each from there. There are a few neat little shops on the square like Perk Central. There isn't much as far as eating out unless you like fast food. There is one decent Mexican place at the juction of HWY 71/30. There is also the Santa Maria Winery - they have dining as well as wine tasting. There is an Aveda salon in town that does awesome pedicures and brow waxing (same building as Perk Central). The "mall" has a Hallmark store, Maurices, hardware store and Christian book store.

There is a theater, some parks, an aquatic center, and a rec center. To me, it wasn't a small town - 15000 people. I grew up in a town of 2000. It can be cliquey. The cops are awful, so if you do venture out for a drink or two, make sure someone is 100% sober to drive home.

BabyFruit Ticker