Des Moines Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

thank you's after an interview

what is the etiquette of writing thank you's after an interview... can i send an email or should it be a handwritten thank you?  my handwriting is terrible.  thanks ladies!

Re: thank you's after an interview

• 1,000%, handwritten note.
  • I agree with the handwritte note, however if it's an internal interview and you know the person, i think that an email is acceptable.

when i was managing and recruiting, i found emails to be acceptable/appreciated.

• When I've hired interns, it didn't matter whether the thank you note was emailed or handwritten. Yes, handwritten is more personal and thoughtful, but it was never the make-or-break factor in who we've hired. What matters more is how it's written (sincere, timely, customized, and free from spelling & grammar errors).

The big downside with hand written notes is that - unfortunately for the interviewee - snail mail takes FOREVER to reach the recipient in the company I work for. One time the hiring decision had been made before the note reached me.

Good luck!

Happy mom to two sweet, silly boys: Cohen age 4, AJ age 2.
  • EJPintEJPint member
    Fifth Anniversary

I work in HR - IMHO, I think email is more effective.  You can show your enthusiasm for the position, remind me of some key things you bring to the table, and tell me what you took away from the interview.  Your handwritten note may be personal and classy, but it will probably get to me long after an offer has gone out. 

If you do choose handwritten, stay away from fussy "thinking of you" type cards.  Nothing will change my mind faster than receiving a purple card embellished with ribbon.  Invest in some classic, quality cards, monogrammed or similar. 

You could do both - a quick email follow up to be timely, and a card to follow in the mail.  Either way, know that for most people/companies it's not a dealbreaker (or maker) to receive a thank you, but it might just put you over the edge if it's a close call.   

Natural m/c 8/31/12 at 11 wks BFP #2 - Due August 16!
  • I was a HR Generalist and more often than not, the thank you was emailed SO, I'd say, interoffice a handwritten than you to set yourself apart and make sure that it's not a basic thank you. Be sure to mention how excited you are to hear more about  the position or how interested you were to learn something they told you. That adds a personal touch. I do agree that the thank you isn't want makes or breaks the interview though.
    Nobody said life would be easy. Just that it would be worth it.

[IMG] http://i42.tinypic.com/ekm98p.jpg [/IMG]
    My cooking blog: Pickle Mom's Kitchen