Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Tell me about dog dental care...

How often should I brush my dogs teeth? Any toothbrush/toothpaste recs? Ive not had him very long and noticed today that he has alot of buildup on his teeth and even a slightly loose one in front. The vet didnt mention any of this to me though. What do you think?

Re: Tell me about dog dental care...

• I need advice on this as well, but I just took Nelson to Petsmart after I got him for a spa day and they "brushed" his teeth. Really they just put dog toothpaste on his teeth, no brushing. They told me it does the work as soon as they put it on. It's beef flavored and Nelson LOVED it.

His breath was really bad before I took him there and all I had was Crest so I tried that (don't laugh)...I had to do something. He wouldn't put up with that. 

You might want to call Petsmart and ask them what their grooming department uses. Actually, they might even have it online.

• image forbes:

His breath was really bad before I took him there and all I had was Crest so I tried that (don't laugh)...I had to do something. He wouldn't put up with that. .

Seriously!?!? Do you not get that Crest is unsafe for humans to swallow and it's human formulated. Thankfully he wouldn't put up with it. 

Try a plaque scraper and start brushing daily. You'll have to work hard at reversing what damage has already been done. For the future, offer things like bully sticks (that are helpful in cleaning teeth) and make sure you're feeding a quality food. There are many dog formulated toothpastes out there.  

• image meghan0020:
    image forbes:

His breath was really bad before I took him there and all I had was Crest so I tried that (don't laugh)...I had to do something. He wouldn't put up with that. .

Seriously!?!? Do you not get that Crest is unsafe for humans to swallow and it's human formulated. Thankfully he wouldn't put up with it. 

Try a plaque scraper and start brushing daily. You'll have to work hard at reversing what damage has already been done. For the future, offer things like bully sticks (that are helpful in cleaning teeth) and make sure you're feeding a quality food. There are many dog formulated toothpastes out there.  

This.