New Mexico Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Diamondchks - your ears should be ringing..

I had dinner out with a group of girlfriends last Thursday for the Kitchen Angels fundraiser.  (The 4 of us live in ABQ, Santa Fe, Eldorado and Los Alamos, so getting together requires driving for all of us!)

One of them bought a friend who is active in the quilting quilds in ABQ, SF and LA. I asked if she knew you (and realized I didn't know your last name)!

She did. So expect Julie F. to tell you flame from the Nest says "Hello."  It's a small world sometimes!

Re: Diamondchks - your ears should be ringing..

• *lol* it is funny how everyone is connected somehow. A friend was telling me the other day that in a small town like Los Alamos is it only two degrees of separation, maybe the whole state is only 3 ;) I need to start going to the quilting club meetings again, I've been skipping quite a few lately. The next meeting is on long arm quilting which may be interesting.
    Born at 41 weeks: 8lbs 6.5oz, 21.5"

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/2qk5f77.jpg[/IMG]

Born at 38 weeks: 6lbs 9.5oz, 20"

My Blog
  • flameflame member
    Ancient Membership Combo Breaker

Los alamos is small. Even Santa Fe is small. But I thought in teh million plus folks between ABQ and LA - finding someone in common was pretty humerous.

Julie gave me a card to the SF Quilters Guild show in April in the Roundhouse. Pretty cool stuff, all that art quilting.

Have you made it to SF to the FOlk Art Museum to see the Gees Bend exhibit yet? It is phenomenal!!! 

• I hadn't heard about either the guild show or the Gees Bend exhibit, I'll check out both online. Are you working on any quilts now?

My Blog
  • flameflame member

I never have been much of a quilter. I do sew and did years of semi-pro and pro costume design and costume construction back in Boston. But I just never got into quilting.

I am working on a pair of curtains/wall handings right now. DH is swithing to a 1am to 11:30am shift at work so I need to make something like "black out shades." I have tons of a burgundy velvet, but I'm trying to decide if I want simple drapes or maybe do a complex embroidery, trims, etc.

• Do you ever sew your own clothes? I've made a few skirts, but haven't done anything fancy. I'm guessing your SH would vote for the simple fast drapes ;)

My Blog
  • flameflame member

Yeah, SH/DH is all in favor of quick and fast.  He's not a big fan of home decorating - he doesn't care if things match, coordinate, look good, etc. He just wants functionality.  Hence, all our walls are still contractor brown.  =+)  So the curtains are a cool because it's a sign of decorating!

I haven't been making my own clothes lately. Mostly because my typical "uniform" is jeans and a T-shirt or khakis and a button-down shirt. It's a whole lot cheaper to buy those than make them myself. Back in college and grad school I used to sew a lot of dresses, skirts and tunics for myself.  But I was a bit more "funkier" back then and dressed up more.   And I haven't found a good fabric store here.

Another factor is DH isn't too good about helping do tailor marks and fittings. I got spoiled in college that I had several teachers and friends who could do the tailor marks, hem markings etc. when I treied something on. And I've been too lazy to build a custom dress dummy.