North Dakota Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Hair dillema, need advice

For years I dyed my hair red out of a box. Then 2 years ago I made the transition to blonde. My hair is naturally a medium brown.

I can no longer afford to go get my hair professionally done and it's been 11 weeks since my last touch up. I'm debating what to do. I would like to go back to red, but one of my co-workers said that's a bad idea. I have platnium highlights on top and she said it would turn out bad, plus with my roots growing in my hair would turn out different shades. I was thinking maybe I should just try to dye it my natural color and then try going red in 6 weeks.

What do you guys think?

~Sarah & Jason~June 12th, 2009~Siesta Key, FL~
Planning Bio Married Bio *Work In Progress*
Formerly Knottie Soon2beMrs.G_09
Anniversary

Re: Hair dillema, need advice

• I concur with your co-worker. 

You are going to get this light strawberry blond color where your highlights are, and it will look like it came out of a box..

Best solution is most likely to get back to your natural color, and retouch it every once in a while until the previously blond hair is all grown out and cut off.

then you can try to put on other colors.

The problem with doing it yourself on hair that was unnaturally blond, is that they stripped the hair, and it will not take or keep other colors very well (that's why it most likely feels a little thinned out).

Your best bet is to grow out the damaged hair, I speak from personal experience.

HTH 

?
  • image funny bunny:

I concur with your co-worker. 

You are going to get this light strawberry blond color where your highlights are, and it will look like it came out of a box..

Best solution is most likely to get back to your natural color, and retouch it every once in a while until the previously blond hair is all grown out and cut off.

then you can try to put on other colors.

The problem with doing it yourself on hair that was unnaturally blond, is that they stripped the hair, and it will not take or keep other colors very well (that's why it most likely feels a little thinned out).

Your best bet is to grow out the damaged hair, I speak from personal experience.

HTH 

This exactly. 

• Thanks ladies. I'm regretting ever going blonde now. I guess I will have to enjoy being a brunette for the next 2 years, haha.

I haven't noticed my hair feeling any thinner, but I have really thick hair. I have noticed since going blonde my hair is not as soft and feels damaged even with conditioning treatments.

~Sarah & Jason~June 12th, 2009~Siesta Key, FL~
    Planning Bio Married Bio *Work In Progress*
    Formerly Knottie Soon2beMrs.G_09
    Anniversary
  • I don't know much about hair color, but there is a hair dye remover kit that you can buy in the same section as hair dye.  I have never tried it, but it might be another option?  I have no clue, but I thought I would throw that out there.
  • Be careful of getting anything with "ash" in the color. I was blonde and wanted to go back to darker and thought I would do it myself. It turned out green with the medium ash blonde I bought.(This is where the PP's suggestion of hair dye remover came in VERY handy LOL!!) I ended up having it done professionally with a reddish brown color - my colorist said the red in it was the best to cover the blonde. Now the red will dull faster but it was the best for blonde to grab the red, because the blonde is not actually a color it is hair that has been stripped of any color - that was again what my colorist has said. Anyway once I had her do the brown/red I went on box dye myself after that with the medium golden brown.

You might want to utilize the customer service number on box hair dye, they can be helpful I have heard!?!

Maria & Chris ~ Waialae Beach Hawaii ~ 12/8/09
  • My sister was in your exact position about a year ago.  She always colored her hair red from a bottle then went blonde professionally.  She pulled the money together one last time and had her hair colored red (she had blonde at the time) at a salon.  Then, from that point on she did the red at home.  Worked great for her!

Oh, and her natural color is also medium brown.

• Yeah, bad idea.  Blonde + red = pink.  I wanted to dye my hair a dark red in the winter, but have blonde highlights and my SIL (who is a hair dresser) said she'd have to put pigment back in the blonde in order for it to work.  Not sure what the technical term is.  Even when I had my hair done this last time, because my hair is naturally strawberry blonde and she put in red and blonde highlights she had to add brown to the red so I wouldn't pink.  She did a test spot under w/o the brown and...yeah...circus ready.  I would have someone professionally dye it back red for you first before you go back to the box.
  • IMHO, I would try to get the money together to get it colored one last time by a professional.  If you screw it up yourself at home, you're going to have to go to a professional to have corrective coloring done anyway and that will end up costing you more in the long run.