West Coast Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Check your passports, ladies

So this past Sunday DH and I were supposed to embark on our cruise to the Bahamas with my sister and her family.  We check in at the port at 8am, get through security, fill out our embarkation forms and go to customs.

The lady not-so-politely asks my husband if he has another passport because his was expired and informs him that he was "not traveling today".  She was so incredibly rude about it too.   We were crushed, turns out it had expired exactly one month to the day before.  So we sadly said goodbye to my sister and her family as they boarded the ship.

We were completely at a loss of what to do now, and we were clear down in Ft. Lauderdale.  We stopped to have breakfast and re-group and decided to spend the week in Marco Island and come home early for a little staycation.  I guess I will be taking care of DH's passport this week too, lol.

So ladies, be sure to keep your passports current.  This was an expensive lesson for us.  Luckily, they will hold our booking for 6 months so we don't lose it completely, thank goodness.  Guess we will be going on that cruise for my b-day in August (which I am totally fine with, lol).

Re: Check your passports, ladies

• I updated my passport about 2 years ago for a cruise we were going on.  I didn't read it and see that there was a place to physically sign it inside.  So our cruise started in Tampa, but ended in Puerto Rico.  The customs guy in PR was so rude to me!  He gave me so much crap about it not being signed and that he could cause problems for me and blah, blah, blah.  Hello!!  You can see that I just got the passport like 2 months before and hello.....I am only in PR which is really not a big deal.  I didn't know if we were going to make it out of there without any problems. 

Needless to say, it does now have a signature in it. 

• Forgot to say that I'm sorry to hear you had to miss out on the trip.  The good news is that you aren't out the money and can go again later.  I haven't been to Marco Island, but I bet it's beautiful!
  • What cruise line was it? My mom is a TA with AAA and I told her what happened and she was shocked! She said normally they tell you "Sorry, but you should've paid attention and been responsible to make sure your passport was valid." or something like that.
  • OMG - I'm so sorry to hear!  That must have totally sucked.

Did he have any other ID with him....birth certificate & DL?  Or some other state or federal ID?   The reason I ask is that because if a cruise ship is leaving and returning to the same US port, a passport is not needed for travel as long as you have your birth certificate and a state/fed photo ID.  Where it becomes a problem is if you leave and return to a different port.   OR if, for some reason, you need to be flown back to the US (in an emergency situation).   Which is why they want you to have a passport. 

• image Kissyfur19:

The reason I ask is that because if a cruise ship is leaving and returning to the same US port, a passport is not needed for travel as long as you have your birth certificate and a state/fed photo ID.  Where it becomes a problem is if you leave and return to a different port.   OR if, for some reason, you need to be flown back to the US (in an emergency situation).   Which is why they want you to have a passport. 

Yeah, this totally sucks that this happened. I'm glad you have the chance to take the cruise later, though!

Just wanted to add that what Kissyfur says here is true unless the cruise involved a South American port (or anything other than the Caribbean, Bermuda, Canada and Mexico). In those cases, you do need a passport and a birth certificate won't suffice even in closed-loop situations.

• Ok unless things have changed since October you do not need a passport to on a cruise that originates in the states and comes back. Did he have his birth certificate? We have been on 4 cruises and do not have passports.

• Wow this sucks!  I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks and I checked my passport because I knew it was going to expire soon (it does in 2012) but I would be so pissed.

I am going to guess he didn't bring his birth certificate because he had his passport with him and you don't need both.  My H would have done the same thing.  Maybe if the port was in Tampa you could have run home and gotten it really quick.  Well I hope you enjoy your cruise in August!!!!  I didn't know you could transfer cruises like that, good to know.  

• So sorry to hear about that. It must have been such a disappointment.  Oh well, it will be fun to go for your birthday too!

This happened to my cousin about 2 years ago when she was boarding a plane to go to FRANCE.

Life with a Toddler and Twins

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/bjcnib.jpg[/IMG]
  • image may07wedding:
    What cruise line was it? My mom is a TA with AAA and I told her what happened and she was shocked! She said normally they tell you "Sorry, but you should've paid attention and been responsible to make sure your passport was valid." or something like that.

It was Discovery Cruise Lines, but it was the lady at the port in the customs booth, not related to the cruise line.

• i think it is a requirement for custom agents to be douche bags
  • OMG, that sucks!  That would have been heartbreaking to watch your family board while you are still in the port terminal.   

My passport expires in June and I am going to the Bahamas in July.  I didn't even think about it until my mom mentioned it to me.  Thank goodness she did or I would have been SOL. 

Baby Macy is here!

12/09 - Macy (daughter) | 4/10 - Began TTC Baby #2 | 12/10 - Chemical Pregnancy | 1/12 - Miscarriage at 14 weeks | DX - PCOS & Hyperthyroidism
  • That stinks you couldn't go on your planned vacation but so glad you had a back up plan :-)
  • Oh no, that really sucks!! I hope you were able to have fun during your last minute change of plans! MH's passport expires in April so in January I made him get a new photo and apply for a new passport since we're going to England at the end of May. Thankfully he has the passport and all is well! I got a new one 2 years ago when we got married so I'm good to go. :)
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker