Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What are the books that you read over and over again?

I usually buy books at thrift stores for $0.25 and pass them along to friends and coworkers but sometimes I can't let go of certain books.  One of the books that I've kept and read over and over again is "Paddle to the Amazon" by Don Starkell.  It's one of the greatest true life adventure books EVER and it's my "go-to" book when I need something to read and I never get tired of it.  I will never lend it to anyone because I'm afraid I won't get it back.  Do you have a book you're hesitant to give out because you love it and might "need it"? 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What are the books that you read over and over again?

• That sounds very interesting. Is it a travel memoir? I love those.

I've actually rarely reread a book. I feel like there are so many books that I want to read that I don't want to reread (although I have several that I want to now). I think the only books I've ever reread was one of the Harry Potters---in anticipation of the last book release.  

image Emily 7-10-04
    My Food Blog Visit The Nest!
  • I keep almost all my books, I love having piles of books everywhere. I can read Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner, Into Thin Air by John Krakauer and A Widow fro a Year by John Irving over and over again. also anything by Wally Lamb or Dean Koontz.
    TTC since April 2008

Me: PCOS/Amenorrhea DH: Azoospermia due to Y Chromosome Micro Deletion IVF w/ ICSI on hold until further notice

Hope

• Mrs. AmandaMqn:  I CAN'T believe you quoted INTO THIN AIR. I have also read that and let a coworker borrow it and have not seen it since.  John Krakauer also wrote "Into the the Wilderness" have you read it?

I also love Wally Lamb, after I read "She's Come Undone" I immediately started to read it again.  Lamb really separates authors.  That book compared to someone like Danielle Steele is ridiculous.  Lamb is seriously talented.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image DreamsinIvory:

Mrs. AmandaMqn:  I CAN'T believe you quoted INTO THIN AIR. I have also read that and let a coworker borrow it and have not seen it since.  John Krakauer also wrote "Into the the Wilderness" have you read it?

It's actually called Into The WildWink

image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Emily227.  Yes it is a travel memior.  The true story of a father and son's incredible 12, 881 mile canoe trip from Winnipeg to the mouth of the Amazon River.  To quote the book cover;

"It was crazy. It was nuts. It was the adventure of a lifetime.  Two years and twelve-thousand miles later, father and son had each paddled nearly 20 million stokes, slepts on beaches, in jungles and fields, dined on tapirs, shark, and heaps of roasted ants.  They had encountered piranhas, wild pigs, and hungry alligators.  They had been arrested, shot at, taken for spies and set upon by pirates. They had lived throgh terrifying hurricanes, food poisoning, had set a record for thrilling voyage of discovery that they - and you - will never forget.

Absolute amazing book.  Amazing.  Page to page drama. Please read it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I rarely re-read books, but sometimesI will re-read classics that I have forgotten or haven't read since HS.  And when a new book in the HP or Twilight series came out, I would reread the previous books first.

As for books I *could* read over and over, I think my favorites -- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Last Days of Summer, Talk Before Sleep, Catcher in the Rye.

My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • I have read a coouple books a few times and still enjoy them.

I love the Number 1 Ladies' Detective stories and have read them a few times. I have also read Pride and Prejudice about twenty times, and still love it. And also the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde. I have read them and still reread them (as does DH).

• I could never loan out my copies of A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, Exodus or Jacob Have I Loved.  I might need them at any moment!  Smile
  • The only books I re-read for fun are 1984, Brave New World, and Jane Eyre.  But I haven't managed to re-read the last two in a really long time.  (Maybe because my copies are still at my parents house along with the rest of my high school stuff.)
    image image image
  • It, The Stand, all my Harry Potters and now I can add the Twilight books to that list.  I do like to reread books.  I will reread any of my SK books at any given point.  I WILL NOT lend out any of my hardcover books to anyone for any reason, but I also will not lend out any SK paperbacks as well (I am a little fanatical over my SK books)

Follow my SK blog as I reread the entire SK library (again!):
    http://www.skallthetime.blogspot.com/
  • I have read "Ride the Wind" about 5 times now.  It is such a great book.  It is historical fiction based upon a true story.  It also is a wonderful love story.  I used to have two copies of it and I lent them both out and never got them back.  Now I have to buy a new copy.

This is a brief description of the book:

In 1836, when she was nine years old, Cynthia Ann Parker was kidnapped by Comanche Indians. This is the story of how she grew up with them, mastered their ways, married one of their leaders, and became, in every way, a Comanche woman. It is also the story of a proud and innocent people whose lives pulsed with the very heartbeat of the land. It is the story of a way of life that is gone forever....

90 books in 2015?
  • I've re-read most of my Julie Garwood books several times. In fact, I am re-reading one of them right now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Anything Ernest Hemingway I could (and probably have) read multiple times. ?I read all the Stephanie Plum books twice, because the first time I read them out of order. ?Other than that I don't usually reread books. ?
    imageimage
  • Umm...Twilight and Eclipse...everytime is like reading it for the first time!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I've read Gone with the Wind several times. ?Same with The Stand. ?I keep almost all of my books. I just like having them. ?I do lend them out and if I really don't like them, I'll give them to goodwill.

?Since I started PBS, I've parted with some books, but oftentimes I'll go to the thrift store with PBS in mind... buy a few books that I have already and list them. ?Who says I can't have my cake and eat it too? :)?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• since I was a teenager I have read every single summer (and I am OLD) Norman Mailer's The Executioner's Song there is something comforting about re-reading a book and it takes me back to long days at the beach with nothing to do but read and eat clam dip and drink diet soda

also the McNally series by Lawrence Sanders, I never get tired of the good laughs I get from them

• Jane Eyre and Eat Pray Love.
  • The books I've read over and over are my favorites from childhood - Beauty by Robin McKinley, A Wrinkle in Time, and when I really feel like escaping and reconnecting with my inner child, I'll read several of the books in the Oz series (L. Frank Baum wrote 13 books after the Wizard of Oz). ?I've also read the HP books multiple times. ?I guess I like the fantasy-type books - I can always lose myself in those, whereas with modern lit, once I know the story I don't really have an interest in rereading it.

Ellie, mommy to Kate (4.20.06), Andrew (3.18.08) & Natalie (4.19.11), born at 34w1d Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I don't ever re-read books with one exception- Love Story by Erich Segal.  I don't know why, but I just love that book.

I may re-read the Time Traveller's Wife- it's been a few years and after reading all the posts on here and realizing how much I've forgotten, I'd like to read it again (one of my all time favorites).

• The Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K Hamilton is one I've read a few times. I also like a couple of Dean Koontz's books enough to read them over and over. ?From the Corner of His Eye is a fun re-read.
  • I re-read frequently.  Nora Roberts, Anne McCaffrey, the HP books, Philippa Gregory's books, the older Kay Scarpetta books in first person.  Outlander.

I said this in my blog once.  Books are brain candy to me.  I love characters and want to revisit stories I've enjoyed often.  If I can't buy a new book or nothing interests me at the moment, I go back and read favorites.

It boggles mh's mind at times.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• There are a few books I would like to re-read. Mostly (classics and) ones I read in middle or high school.

The only book I have re-read is Nights in Rodanthe.

• I don't re-read too often, but I love love love The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. I have read it at least 8 times. I probably should buy another copy because mine is so worn. I also have re-read all previous HP when books 6 & 7 came out. And I have read The Time Traveler's Wife 3 times and might read it again before the movie. I also want to re-read Sunshine by Robin McKinley. Other things I have re-read are mostly for book clubs so I am fresh for the discussion but not neccesarily my choice.
  • I have reread The Pact by Jodi Piccoult and The Time Traveler's Wife.
  • I have read Gone With The Wind at least 5 times and reread it every other year or so.  I think I love it because my mom loved it and it reminds me of her.  There is just something warm and comfortable about the story/characters--almost like they are old friends.

• I haven't reread anything lately, but years ago, when I had more time, I would read the Flowers in the Attic series every single summer.

I did read She's Come Undone twice (on purpose) but that was also years ago.

There are a few old-school Sidney Sheldon books I would like to re-read, as well. 

Oh, and of course The Thorn Birds.  I have read it several times, for sentimental reasons.

• Like RevJen, I love to re-read books.  If I own a book, there's a good chance I've read it at least twice.  Some of my favorite re-reads include: The Bell Jar, Pride & Prejudice, a number of things by Edgar Allen Poe and Shakespeare, and diverting entirely from classics: The Beach by Alex Garland and Pattern Recognition by William Gibson.

I have regretted borrowing some books from the library because I had to give them back.  Into Thin Air makes that list for me as well, and so does Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.