Grand Rapids Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Now they shut the water off

So in addition to being stuck in my driveway by the city water/sewer folks, they now have shut the water off. I went out and asked them how long it would be be and they said they had no clue - I was like are you thinking an hour, 3, 4 or 8 hours. I also asked if they normally give out notice and he said not when it's an emergency.

I pointed out to him that they have had trucks on our street for the past week and the location of pipes were painted out on the road a few days ago, so I find it hard to believe that this project wasn't planned. He told me that was for the sewer dept and he is with the water dept.....righttttt...

He did say that it should be on by 3 pm, because he gets out at 3 pm. So if this was a real true ememrgency such as a water main break, like he is claiming it to be, how convienent is it that he is getting the water turned back on by the time he is done for the day.

They also couldn't go door to door to give notice because they had to take care of the emergency. Evidently it takes two people to do the job and four people to sit in their trucks and watch.

Re: Now they shut the water off

• Ugh! I hate it when they pull crap like that!
    Ben & Shana - August 27, 2005
  • Thank goodness it didn't happen a month from now when I needed to make formula for the baby. Although a nine month pregnant lady without running water for a toliet could be an issue. :)
  • I'd call the city and talk to someone in the water dept.  If there were notices to be given, it probably wouldn't have been that guy who did the notification.  Someone dropped the ball here.

Grrr...  Want me to come pick you guys up for a taste of freedom?

Willa 4.6.06 and Henry 10.18.08 Camp Sinki
  • I have a doctors appt at 3:30. They said they would move if I need to get out. I just didn't want to attempt earlier because it would have been tricky to get out and I didn't want to look like a total dumb a** by not taking the turn sharp enough and hitting the backhoe and falling into the hole they dug.

Brian is going to pick me up if need be.

• I know this has nothing to do with your post, but reading it makes me miss operating cranes, backhoes, loaders, etc. I'd like to be the one in the trench fixing the problem too. Ahhh, the joys of my former summer job :-)
  • Maybe you can come on over and help out. :) Get them in gear. Actually the water just turned back on. yeah!