Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

16 & Pregnant (spoilers)

2»

Re: 16 & Pregnant (spoilers)

• image bmk112302:
    I really wish part of this show was offering these girls counseling.  The BF in this episode was obviously a jerky, immature 16 year old boy who was not unexpectedly not ready for parenthood.  The teen mom would be better suited to be counseled about planning for her life and the future with her baby and figuring out how she was going to do it than chasing after this guy.  I thought the whole going to prom thing was a little much. That is a privilege that shouldn't exist anymore once you get pregnant. All the money and priority should have been for the baby, those fun times are over. I hope all of these girls are smart enough to get orders for child support. He may not make anything now but eventually he will and even if not involved in the child's life he should be made to financially support his child.

I really don't agree with this. They made a mistake. Why should they not be allowed to enjoy some aspect of their life still? I as a mother am allowed this luxury. Why because someone makes a mistake at 16 years old are they not entitled to the same thing? I am all about these women growing up but thinking they should be shunned from events just because they in the near future will be responsible for a child makes no sense to me. Going to a homecoming dance is harmless and probably made her feel a bit more normal. I can't even imagine how isolating it feels to be so young and pregnant.

• When the episode ended, I was in tears.  That guy was the biggest jerk yet.

However,  I disagree that she shouldn't have gone to Homecoming.  Give me a break.  She didn't break a law, she got herself pregnant.

So all pregnant women and mothers shouldn't spend any money to enjoy themselves?  They should all just spend it on the baby?

I guess I shouldn't have gone and got my hair and eyebrows done this weekend.  I could have bought some baby stuff instead!

• image MrsSR:

When the episode ended, I was in tears.  That guy was the biggest jerk yet.

However,  I disagree that she shouldn't have gone to Homecoming.  Give me a break.  She didn't break a law, she got herself pregnant.

So all pregnant women and mothers shouldn't spend any money to enjoy themselves?  They should all just spend it on the baby?

I guess I shouldn't have gone and got my hair and eyebrows done this weekend.  I could have bought some baby stuff instead!

It's called growing up and being a responsible adult. This girl is not capable of supporting her child which needs to be her first priority.  If you take the path of having a baby at 16 (mistake or not), you forgo the teenage life you had. If she wants to keep the baby, her sole focus should be on finishing her education as fast as she can and becoming a self supporting adult. If she doesn't want to do that, she should put the baby up for adoption. It also doesn't set a good example for the other kids at the school to see pregnancy made all cute and make it seems as if no consequences occur if you get pregnant, that you can still do all the fun things you want.

If you are able to self support yourself and child, spend your money on anything you want. Obviously the two situations don't compare.

• UGH!!! I wanted to slap him through my television.
  • I hated her bf. What a douche. I feel like I've seen that prom dress shopping clip already though with that exact girl and mom, but minus the assholee boyfriend.
    [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/5cy92q.jpg[/IMG]
  • image bmk112302:
    image MrsSR:

It's called growing up and being a responsible adult. This girl is not capable of supporting her child which needs to be her first priority.  If you take the path of having a baby at 16 (mistake or not), you forgo the teenage life you had. If she wants to keep the baby, her sole focus should be on finishing her education as fast as she can and becoming a self supporting adult. If she doesn't want to do that, she should put the baby up for adoption. It also doesn't set a good example for the other kids at the school to see pregnancy made all cute and make it seems as if no consequences occur if you get pregnant, that you can still do all the fun things you want.

If you are able to self support yourself and child, spend your money on anything you want. Obviously the two situations don't compare.

So you're going to make her end her childhood the day she conceives? Why shouldn't she be allowed that one last bit of normalicy? I think you're being a bit ridiculous. It's like you think she should have been banished to her bedroom and not allowed dessert. 

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/5cy92q.jpg[/IMG]
  • image sgsl2009:
    image bmk112302:
    image MrsSR:

So you're going to make her end her childhood the day she conceives? Why shouldn't she be allowed that one last bit of normalicy? I think you're being a bit ridiculous. It's like you think she should have been banished to her bedroom and not allowed dessert. 

Yes. If shes going to raise a child she has to become an adult. Its all about choices. Its not trying to be punitive, its wanting her to be a responsible mother and yes if you make that choice at 16 you are going to have to grow up fast. Everyone worries about the poor teenage mom and her childhood rather than this baby who barely has a chance.  It makes no sense to indulge her in her teenage life b/c that is no longer her reality.  She needs to be a responsible mother who can support her baby. That baby is the priority now, not her childhood. The alternative, if she is not ready to give those things up and raise the child, is to put the baby up for adoption.

• image bmk112302:
    image sgsl2009:
    image bmk112302:
    image MrsSR:

Yes. If shes going to raise a child she has to become an adult. Its all about choices. Its not trying to be punitive, its wanting her to be a responsible mother and yes if you make that choice at 16 you are going to have to grow up fast. Everyone worries about the poor teenage mom and her childhood rather than this baby who barely has a chance.  It makes no sense to indulge her in her teenage life b/c that is no longer her reality.  She needs to be a responsible mother who can support her baby. That baby is the priority now, not her childhood. The alternative, if she is not ready to give those things up and raise the child, is to put the baby up for adoption.

I think this is a bit presumptious of you to say. Just because a child is born to a teen mother doesn't mean it barely has a chance. Give me a break.

• Obviously, there are exceptions but explain to me how these statistics don't indicate that most of these kids will have an uphill battle:

Babies born in the U.S. to teenage mothers are at risk for long-term problems in many major areas of life, including school failure, poverty, and physical or mental illness.

Babies born to teenagers are at risk for neglect and abuse because their young mothers are uncertain about their roles and may be frustrated by the constant demands of caretaking. Rates of child abuse are 50% higher.

Teenage mothers are more likely to drop out of school. Only about one-third of teen mothers obtain a high school diploma.

Children born to teenage mothers are less likely to receive proper nutrition, health care, and cognitive and social stimulation. As a result, they are at risk for lower academic achievement. 50% more likely to have to repeat a grade level.

Boys born to teenage mothers are 13% more likely to be incarcerated later in life.

Girls born to teenage mothers are 22% more likely to become teenage mothers themselves.

Also add on the fact that most of the dad's will not likely be around to participate in raising these kids.

•  

This. Exactly.

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/347i5mx.jpg[/IMG]
  • My SD was born to teen parents - and she is a hot mess right now. It's sad seeing how her life was growing up.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    [IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/347i5mx.jpg[/IMG]