Columbus Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Real Estate Question for you ladies or lawyers....

I need to help someone put a condo she just purchased into a trust.

The objective is to get it out of her name in the sense if someone tries searching for where she may be living or if she owns a house they could not do a property search and find her name.

She needs protected somehow and I thought that setting the property up into a trust may help a little.

Does anyone know how to get started?


Re: Real Estate Question for you ladies or lawyers....

  • Hi there. Even if your friend put her condo into a trust, the title to the property would read, "Jane Doe, as trustee for the "your friend" living revocable trust" - so her name would still appear on the deed. Not to mention it costs at least $1,000 to set up a trust. A better suggestion may be to form an LLC to hold title to the property with a name indistinguishable from her own.

    However, that being said, regardless of what your friend does with title to the condo at this point, her name will still appear in the county records as being the owner at some point in time. So if whomever is searching for her is clever enough, they could figure out that she owns that property, or at least that she did own it at some point in time.

    I may be able to help if I had more specifics - please feel free to email me at Michelle at yourohiolawyer dot com.
  • It also just occurred to me that she could do a blind trust. That might give her a little more protection, although it doesn't cure the problem with the county records.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards