Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My Sisters Keeper (spoilers)

LOVED this movie.  I read the book years ago and it was so wonderful, I had really high expectations for the movie.  When I heard they changed the ending for the movie, I didn't want to watch it because I really loved the book so much.

I thought Cameron Diaz did a great job.  I think this was the first time I've seen her actually "act" in a movie.  The scene when the family was going to go to the beach and she was punching the car, etc, I was really impressed.

I cried pretty much the whole time.  Then I woke up my daughter and cuddled her for about an hour.  DH cried too, especially when the daughter was walking down the stairs before "Prom".

Re: My Sisters Keeper (spoilers)

• I loved the movie and the book too. Except for the ending, I thought the movie was pretty close to the book. Not sure why the endings were completely different between the two. Maybe because the ending in the movie was much more predictable and the ending in the book so much more dramatic. I sure did cry at both though.SO heartwrenching...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It was a very "Hollywood" ending.
  • I liked the movie but have never read the book.  Now hearing you ladies talk about how different the endings are I feel I must run out and read it immediately.
    "You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."
  • image kjewell:
    I liked the movie but have never read the book.  Now hearing you ladies talk about how different the endings are I feel I must run out and read it immediately.

You might hate the ending of the book if you liked the movie...!!  The ending of the book is REALLY sad.  Like, I couldn't function for a few hours after finishing it, I just sat there in shock.

• I heard some people hated the "hollywood" ending, but you have to understand a movie is very different from a book, you can't show people a movie that makes them non-functional because the effects stay with them. How many people were scarred enough by bambi? And that had a happy ending.

I haven't read the book, but I enjoyed the movie.

My assumption of the book ending is that she loses the case and dies in surgery. I can't really see a way it would be so horrific for everyone otherwise. But, in any case, I did enjoy the ending that made you feel like her sister did go on in some ways.

The point of the movie was still brought across. It was still brought to our attention that there are people who have babies to save babies, and whether or not that's a morally corrupt thing is something no one can really decide for you. I don't know if I could ever blame someone. Also,OP, you clearly haven't seen The Mask. lol
  • I was not impressed by the movie, I hated that they left out some of the major story/plot points.  The brother didn't dabble in arson, and the ending was completely lame.  Cameron Diaz was not the right actress for that part either.  
    Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • I thought the movie was pretty good, I had heard that the ending was different from the book, but I kind of liked this ending better. The book ending was so out of left field, it seemed like a cop-out.
  • image SakuraJane:

I heard some people hated the "hollywood" ending, but you have to understand a movie is very different from a book, you can't show people a movie that makes them non-functional because the effects stay with them. How many people were scarred enough by bambi? And that had a happy ending.

I haven't read the book, but I enjoyed the movie.

My assumption of the book ending is that she loses the case and dies in surgery. I can't really see a way it would be so horrific for everyone otherwise. But, in any case, I did enjoy the ending that made you feel like her sister did go on in some ways.

The point of the movie was still brought across. It was still brought to our attention that there are people who have babies to save babies, and whether or not that's a morally corrupt thing is something no one can really decide for you. I don't know if I could ever blame someone. Also,OP, you clearly haven't seen The Mask. lol

I haven't actually seen the movie but I had previous read spoilers for the ending.  I have read the book though and that is not at all what happens in  the end of the book.  If you want me to pm you or post here with appropriate spoiler warnings for others I can tell you how the book ends. 

That said, I hated the ending of the book. I thought it was emotionally manipulative and frankly I thought the ending was equivalent to having them all wake up from a dream.  I've honestly never been so pissed at the ending of a book in my entire life and I still get angry about it years later. 

imageimageimage
  • I have a question for those who have read the book. Is the mom more likeable in the book than she is in the movie? I really, really disliked her character in the movie. I'm not sure if that's how she is supposed to be, or if it's just Cameron Diaz's acting.
  • No disliked the mom in the book too. Although I already knew Cameron Diaz played the mom in the movie, so I couldn't get her mug out of my mind when reading the book, so maybe that was the reason.
  • image StephNJer:
    I have a question for those who have read the book. Is the mom more likeable in the book than she is in the movie? I really, really disliked her character in the movie. I'm not sure if that's how she is supposed to be, or if it's just Cameron Diaz's acting.

No - I totally hated the mom through the whole book. It was much worse than in the movie even.

• I hated the Mom in the book also.  I really thought Cameron Diaz did a great job playing the Mom!

The book ending is COMPLETELY crazy and nothing like what you would expect... just pick up the book and read the last 2-3 chapters if you want to, or google it.

• image mumegs:

image StephNJer:
    I have a question for those who have read the book. Is the mom more likeable in the book than she is in the movie? I really, really disliked her character in the movie. I'm not sure if that's how she is supposed to be, or if it's just Cameron Diaz's acting.

No - I totally hated the mom through the whole book. It was much worse than in the movie even.

Yikes, I don't think I could handle a whole book of her. She was seriously one of the worst characters I've ever seen in a movie.