Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Registering a Car in MD

I am finally, finally getting a car!  In a complicated way, my parents have an extra car and are giving it to me.  I am looking into registering/titling it in MD, since it is in RI right now.  I was wondering if any one understood the MD system well enough to know whether I should say that the car was a gift or whether I bought the car for tax and fee purposes.  In RI, it is better to say it is a gift, but I can't figure out which is better in MD.

TIA! 

Re: Registering a Car in MD

• Maybe Mary knows an answer to that?

We had to change our car from NY to MD and it was a total pain in the a$$.  You have to first have the car MD state inspected (costs $60-80) then pay registering costs and whatever the difference in sales tax is.  We had paid 8% sales tax in NY, so we thought we were good to go since MD tax is 6%.  Not so much.  Apparently we paid 4% NY state tax and 4% NY City tax, so we had to pay an ADDITIONAL 2% to make up the difference in the state taxes.  So in total, we've paid 10% sales tax for our car, dammit.  Sorry so confusing with all of those numbers.

Holiday Card 2011
    The Baloney Bug, A Blog
  • Goodness the MVA's site sucks for this information.

I am trying to figure this out for you! I would think it really depends on the value o the vehicle, so I have some research to do.
  • My uncle gave me his spare car when I was 16. He put the title in my moms name. Im pretty sure if it is between immediate family and it is a gift there is no tax on it.
  • I'm trying to remember how I did this with my parents as well...
    My sweet boy
    imageimage
  • you'll need the title, saying its a gift is better for you, otherwise you have to pay the sales tax on the low book value of the car.