Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pool Party Menu with MAJOR Diet Issues?

My Mom is hosting a pool party at our place next weekend and it is a very interesting mix of diets.  It is mainly adults.  We are celebrating DH and I both finishing Master's Degrees earlier this year (this is the first free weekend for my family all summer due to weddings and anniversaries).  I'm doing the cooking because she does not fully understand what a "Gluten Free Diet" means and I don't want to become deathly ill.  I can't do Gluten.  DH is a Vegetarian and there may be more coming.  One of the guests is lactose intolerant.  I have everything pretty well set except for desert. 

Beverages:

Beer

Wine

Soft Drinks

Bottled Water

Grazing Food:

Chips, Veggies, and Cucumber Dip

Tortilla Chips with Salsa or Homemade Guacamole

Main Dishes:

Mesquite Lime Pulled Beef Wraps in White Corn Tortillas

Black Bean Wraps in White Corn Tortillas

Grilled Sausage 

Sides:

Black Beans

Corn on the Cob

Green Salad w/ Vinaigrette (love a great recipe for this too!)

Chilled Cantaloupe Soup

Fruit Salad

Condiments for Wraps:

Cheese

Sour Cream

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Desert:

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

Gluten Free Lemon Cake with Strawberry Filling

I want to do homemade sorbets to accompany the cake.  I was thinking of the "Alton Brown Watermelon Vodka Sorbet."  I need a suggestion for a second sorbet without alcohol.

I am trying to do the entire menu not to direct attention to dietary restrictions.  I want to give a lot of options since this is an all day affair starting at lunch time and don't want guests to have to eat the same thing for two meals.

Re: Pool Party Menu with MAJOR Diet Issues?

• I made a strawberry sorbet that was great:

1 cup water, 2/3 sugar diluted over heat.  cool completely.  puree fresh strawberries.  Mix together with sugar mixture and add two tablespoons lemon juice.  So easy and really, really good.

Photobucket
  • SA7206SA7206 member
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments Combo Breaker

I think your menu looks fantastic.

My only suggestion would be, maybe instead of beef, have chicken. Or instead of the sausage have chicken. I know with my group of friends there are quite a few people who don't eat pork or beef, and would prefer chicken.

But I would eat everything on your menu Big Smile

• Alton Brown's melon sorbet is fantastic and is my go to recipe... and calls for only 2 tablespoons of vodka.

If you omit alcohol from making a sorbet, the texture won't be quite right. Alcohol plays a big part in the freezing temp needed for the right texture and consistency. You can make sorbet without the alcohol but would need to use other ingredients such as cellulose gum or xanthan gum (you can find these in Whole Foods.) If you don't want to work with these ingredients to achieve the right texture for sorbet without using alcohol, perhaps maybe a granita would work? It's similar to a sorbet but you'll have to babysit it more often to scrape and get the right crystals for a successful recipe.

• You could add a chicken satay with peanut sauce for the chicken eaters...or do the meat on the side altogether and just make both chicken and beef  to assemble yourself.

Sounds yummy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image joelen&louis:
    Alton Brown's melon sorbet is fantastic and is my go to recipe... and calls for only 2 tablespoons of vodka.

If you omit alcohol from making a sorbet, the texture won't be quite right. Alcohol plays a big part in the freezing temp needed for the right texture and consistency. You can make sorbet without the alcohol but would need to use other ingredients such as cellulose gum or xanthan gum (you can find these in Whole Foods.) If you don't want to work with these ingredients to achieve the right texture for sorbet without using alcohol, perhaps maybe a granita would work? It's similar to a sorbet but you'll have to babysit it more often to scrape and get the right crystals for a successful recipe.

Thanks for the ideas!  This and strawberry sound really good.  Could I do Van Gogh Pineapple Vodka in the Watermelon Sorbet?  I'd do chicken, but everyone eats everything except the vegetarians.  DH said I have them really well covered, even with the stuff he does not like. 

• image FormerCityGirl:

image joelen&louis:
    Alton Brown's melon sorbet is fantastic and is my go to recipe... and calls for only 2 tablespoons of vodka.

Thanks for the ideas!  This and strawberry sound really good.  Could I do Van Gogh Pineapple Vodka in the Watermelon Sorbet?  I'd do chicken, but everyone eats everything except the vegetarians.  DH said I have them really well covered, even with the stuff he does not like. 

That pineapple vodka sounds fantastic! I'm not sure if you will taste much of it but it probably wouldn't hurt! Smile
  • image joelen&louis:
    image FormerCityGirl:

image joelen&louis:

That pineapple vodka sounds fantastic! I'm not sure if you will taste much of it but it probably wouldn't hurt! Smile

This is one of my top Vodkas right up there with DiVine.  DiVine is a small brand out of SW MI that does a Grape one similar to Ciroq.  It's the Round Barn Winery's Vodka.  You can find it in Chicago and it does really well in blind tests there.  Van Gogh does a Chocolate flavored one too that is probably pretty good since the pineapple is great.

• I have a frind who is also on a gluten free diet and her go to dessert is rice crispy treats made very thin and spread with nutella and made into sandwiches ---- they are awesome. I"m not sure about the marshmallows though they are made with gelatin which is a product of pork etc...
    Kevin & Lisa

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/1z4yahe.jpg[/IMG]

McKayla

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/1zlx3f9.jpg[/IMG]

See Mommy I can sit on the pretty rug with pictures of puppies and be good..... A day later she ate the rug...........
  • Lemon sorbet or granita sounds good to me.  = )
  • sounds good!

I eat gf also and always bring my own stuff to parties because its safer that way