Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Off beat/unique bridal shower ideas needed.

My sister just got engaged and told me that I am her matron of honor, so I will be planning her bridal shower (at least the one for the family).  The only problem with this is, my sister is not a typical bride.  She is hesitant even to have a shower and is having an outdoor vintage ('50'sish) wedding with a pig roast reception.  Any ideas to make this more tolerant for her?  Keep in mind this shower will be mostly for middle aged women....she is having another one back where she lives for friends....Thanks in advance!

Re: Off beat/unique bridal shower ideas needed.

• Why is she having a shower if she doesn't want one?

The way to make it less showery is to make it a regular party.  Ours was a co-ed cookout and didn't feel anything like a shower.  Only 2-3 people watched me open presents, everyone else was hanging out drinking.

If she doesn't want a traditional shower, I don't know how you're going to accomplish it with middle aged women who are going to want to watch her open all that and play the ridiculous games.

In this case, I'd skip the shower truthfully.

• What about a wine tasting or a cupcakes and cocktails party? I agree with PP, maybe more of a party type atmosphere would work for her.
  • We had mine at a pick-your-own farm. The guests wandered around picking veggies and fruit, visiting with animals and each other. Food was a gormet picnic under a big tent. Guests went home with boquets they had picked as favors. Kids running everywhere. I opened a few gifts after most guests had already left so it wasn't stuffy or like I was up on a stage. That was different and fun.

We had my sister-in-laws at a ice skating rink. We had a friend's at a paint your own pottery place. We had a guest author come for a book worm friend's shower, complete with book signing and reading. I heard of a "red carpet" shower/ cocktail party where guests were encouraged to wear formal wear and dark glasses. They had a red carpet on the way into the house and played movie trivia.

Check out off beat local venues. Look into art galleries or local schools/colleges for venues.

With that traditional crowd, you might be best doing something conservative like the author or wine tasting party. As long as there are no games and the focus is not opening gifts, I think non-traditional brides are more ok with it.

Have fun! You are a good sister to think this much about her!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • I wanted something a little more fun than a usual shower so we went with a martini theme. It was held late on a Saturday afternoon and almost everyone (older ladies included) drank the martinis and loved it.  We had a mini-bar set up with 3 different types of martinis to choose from.  It was an all female shower but DH came and bartended for us so the hosts wouldn't have to worry about it.  For food, there was a mashed potato bar that was served in martini glasses along with pasta salad and a couple of other things.  It was close to Valentine's Day so everything was decorated in red and there were lots of feathers and leopard print used.  The cake was untraditional looking as well.  Everyone that attended said that it was the best shower that they had ever been to.  I had a blast.
  • I would do an afternoon tea for the shower.  You could do mismatched teacups, some pastries, and have a relaxed atmosphere.  I went to a tea for a cousin and we had a great time socializing all afternoon. Dress was pretty casual and it was hosted in a nice home as opposed to a hall or restaurant.

It could also double as a "Pantry Shower" with guests bringing non-perishable food items to be donated to a local food pantry in lieu of gifts for the bride.  This way she does not have to open gifts in front of people all over again like her other shower.  Food pantries are all struggling right now.  Our local one had an ad in the paper seeking donations.  She sounds like someone who might enjoy gifting to others more than others gifting to her.

• We threw my sister a Kentucky Derby themed bridal shower at the local race track.  something like this might work, where there is another main activity to enjoy instead of bridal shower games.  Here are the pics:

http://lifeoftees.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-day-at-the-races-2/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love the farm idea!!!!

Have a BBQ and just hang out with good food and drinks.