Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Freaky fat flesh-colored lizard!!

That's what I saw today in the bathroom when I disrobed. Right when I was all vulnerable and it could crawl over me! Crying Really, it was like a chubby finger w/ legs and a tail. I screamed and it fled into the bathroom cabinets. I'm so afraid to see it again and am hyper-vigilant now w/ a major case of the heebie jeebies. Meanwhile, my cat just slept unhelpfully under the bed.

What a nightmare!  How do you get past that feeling of thinking it's going to be around every corner and if you walk around barefoot it will surely run across your foot?! Tongue Tied

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Freaky fat flesh-colored lizard!!

• oh i hate that!  i haven't had a lizard in the house, but i had scorpion encounters until dh sprayed!  wear slippers!  i know that feeling sucks.Sad

• MrsAJLMrsAJL member
    Seventh Anniversary

I know they're creepy but they are totally harmless. In fact, they're doing you a service. They eat bugs. So take your pick: (Texas) banded geckos or spiders, mosquitoes, wasps, beetles, ants, etc?

Also, don't be surprised if you see these guys too. They're usually only about 4 inches long and they like to cool off under eaves. They, too, are harmless and terrific bug eaters. They're called anoles.

I'm probably not making you feel too much better but I'm a big fan of unpopular creatures who do humans a great service (such as mosquito hawks, orb spiders, geckos, and anoles.)

• image MrsAJL:
    I know they're creepy but they are totally harmless. In fact, they're doing you a service. They eat bugs. So take your pick: sandy geckos or spiders, mosquitoes, wasps, beetles, ants, etc?

I'm impressed that you know the name of it! If only the sandy geckos (EW!) and bugs would all just stay outside where they belong.  I'm worried that when we move, I'll be seeing even more lizards + mice etc. because of the new construction nearby and a field right behind us. Seriously, my cat needs to get on it.

• MrsAJLMrsAJL member
    Seventh Anniversary
    image Faon:

image MrsAJL:
    I know they're creepy but they are totally harmless. In fact, they're doing you a service. They eat bugs. So take your pick: sandy geckos or spiders, mosquitoes, wasps, beetles, ants, etc?

I'm impressed that you know the name of it! If only the sandy geckos (EW!) and bugs would all just stay outside where they belong.  I'm worried that when we move, I'll be seeing even more lizards + mice etc. because of the new construction nearby and a field right behind us. Seriously, my cat needs to get on it.

Give the critters a little time. Once things settle down they'll find a new place to live. I would only be concerned about scorpion nests (which you can have your house treated for), rattle snake dens near the property if you're building in an area that's not been lived in for awhile, or any crop of venomous or poisonous bugs.

Geckos will find their way home. He was probably looking for water. 

And as for the cats? They're city slickers :)  Ditto with mine too. They'd sooner run from a mouse or a gecko then take care of it.

• MrsAJLMrsAJL member
    Seventh Anniversary
    Funny story about the sandy geckos: my parents have beigey-pink tile and when it's been really dry and the geckos search for cool surroundings, all you see are these two little black dots scurry across the tile. They're so beige they're almost invisible. Talk about watching where you step.
  • We used to find geckos in our house on a regular basis. It freaked me out to think one could be crawling on me while I was sleeping. Every time we saw one, we'd trap it and release it outside. We haven't seen one in a while though...
  • EEEE!

I saw one of those last night, as it ran across the garage wall.  Of course I shrieked, but probably not as loudly as I might have if I had been naked.  ::shudder::

My kitty does love the lizards, actually.  He likes to paw at them and chase them until he (accidentally) kills them.  Sometimes they get away and leave their tails behind. Ick!

• It's not like we have bugs for them to eat (that I've seen), so hopefully it saw it's way on out. My DH think it blew out of the vent fan thing that connects straight to the outdoors. A bird got trapped in there once and my DH took apart the vent, caught the bird as it flew around the bathroom, and released it outside. That was MUCH cooler.

Oh man, my 29 year old SAHM sister called my Dad today in tears & hysterical, begging him to come kill a roach. He lives 20 minutes away from her. He must love her more because I remember begging him for like 2 hours as a teen to come kill a roach in my room. I've actually trapped and released a lizard before; just not feeling as brave lately!

• Those don't scare me- I think bc we've had mice, snake and scorpion problems for so long I would almost be thankful for the lizard.  Almost.

When your house is done get some of those sticky pads to put on the insides of the garage door.  They are priceless in terms of keeping snakes, lizzards and mice out of the garage.  Also, the intial pest exterminator service is priceless.  If your builder gives you that for free, TAKE IT!  Those critters get all in a new house before it's done on the materials, open doors, etc.  Not that your house will be infested, but killing anything in there will make a big difference in preventative maintenence.

Also, with all of the water you will be doing for the new grass, be sure to keep it trimmed down around the house.  I learned the hard way that's where snakes nest.  Tongue Tied

I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to help you out at the front end so you don't have as much to deal with after the fact.  I wouldn't worry about the lizard too much, he'll find a better place to live.  :)

• We get them occasionally in our sun room. Yes, they are grody and see-through and all that, but like MrsAJL, I just try to tell myself that they do more good than harm. Then I get DH to find them and get them outside.
    Business Cat. image
  • I wish I could stop reading this post.  It's giving me the creeps. Indifferent
  • image FireChiefsBride:

I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to help you out at the front end so you don't have as much to deal with after the fact.  I wouldn't worry about the lizard too much, he'll find a better place to live.  :)

Thank you- advice for prevention is super appreciated. The first house bliss won't last very long after my first encounter w/ a snake or scorpion. (I'm thinking heart failure would result if I saw either IN the house!) You're right--a lizard is much better than many alternatives. It was just so fast and and I've never seen a nude colored lizard (And never want to again!!)

• Seeing a scorpion in the house is NOT fun.  Each time I saw one I was home alone and had to figure out how to kill it!  I'm deathly afraid of them.  One was on the ceiling in my bedroom!  To this day when I walk in rooms and turn lights on I look up at the ceilings. 
  • Don't assume your cats will help too much. Mine like to catch the lizards around here then bring them to me as presents. Usually they have lost their tail and I just put them back outside. I figure if they can hold onto the brick wall they'll be able to survive.