Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How long can I leave meat in fridge to thaw?

Several weeks ago I bought a pork tenderloin 2-pack at Costco - cooked one froze the other immediately. I want to cook the frozen one for Sunday dinner, so on Wed afternoon I took it out of the freezer and plunked it in the fridge to thaw, thinking it would take days to completely thaw out.  It didn't - it's completely thaw now!  Can I leave it in the fridge till Sunday and cook it then, or do you think it's best to cook it sooner rather than later, since it's been frozen?  If I leave it till Sunday, that'll mean it's been totally thawed out for a little over 72 hrs.

Re: How long can I leave meat in fridge to thaw?

• My knowledge of frozen meat tells me to cook it as soon as it's thaw.  It should only be in the fridge a day or two before you cook it.
    We have so much time, and so little to do! Strike that, reverse it.
    My Bio (wedding pics added 7/6)
    My 101
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Um, this may be totally gross to some, but I'm guilty of leaving meat, chicken, etc. in the fridge to "thaw" for up to a week. We've never gotten sick (knock on wood) so I'd probably be okay with waiting until Sunday.
  • I think it depends on how cold your fridge is and how it normally keeps food good. I swear my fridge can hold veggies for weeks so I tend to be ok with leaving thawed meat in longer than normal. I cooked chicken that was "defrosting" for about five days and it (and we) were fine.
  • I think you are good.  If you thawed it on the counter, then put it back in the fridge I would say no.  But since it's been cold the whole time  you're good
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker