Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

beer tasting party

I am planning on having a beer tasting party.  If you have hosted or been to one would you please share your ideas--food, decorations, fun ways to judge the beers, presentations, cute invite wording, etc.  Thanks!

Re: beer tasting party

• I do culinary tasting events and it all depends on how serious you want to be. Is this for fun? educational purposes? socializing?

I provide a powerpoint presentation on the beers and how to taste them (color, aromas, textures, flavors, etc), a run down of how beer is made and what's involved, etc... and a general high level idea of what beers are on the panel if it's not a blind tasting. It's purely culinary education for my group.

After the presentation, everyone is given small cups to sample the beers (roughly 6-12) which accompany a tasting score card for them to take notes on color, aroma, etc.

Folks taste in small groups to foster discussion on the beers since I host large events... but if its a small gathering you can do it as one group.

In addition to the beer, I also provide the accompaniments: cheese, crackers, sausage, fruit, etc... and I talk about beer pairing as well. Sometimes we to specific beer tastings with strictly chocolate, cheeses, sausages, etc.

• Your events sounds like one of those wonderful food tours! 

I  want this to be fun and social. I do already have a written guide on how to taste the beers.  I am planning on using European beers.  I thought the score cards could be somewhat serious like "color and clarity", but somewhat fun,  like "would buy a six pack of this" or "would cause a serious hangover".  Any fun suggestions here?

I would love thoughts on invite wording and food suggestions.  I may even combine this idea with an Oktoberfest party in the fall or may decide to do this in August.

• We do this bi-annually :) for about 12-14 people.. We have everyone bring a 6 pack of beer (generally people will choose something interesting and different so we don't have them tell us ahead of time what they're bringing, but if you're concerned about having 'doubles' then you can have people email you ahead of time with their selection..)

As everyone arrives, I steal their beer away to the fridge/coolers in the kitchen as they congregate in the living room .. I type names of the beers into a word document in random order.. and at the bottom of the document is a numbered list for them to write their "guesses" .. then I give one sheet to each participant.

As for the tasting, we have a beverage tray and 14 pint glasses with different logos (don't ask.. I think my husband used to have a habit of stealing them from bars in college..) so each person is instructed to remember their logo as this will be their glass for the entire tasting.

I pour a small amount of the first beer into each glass, and bring it into the living room.. the 'objective' of the evening is to correctly guess each beer they are tasting from the list, with the winner receiving a 'gift basket' containing a few selected beers and some pretzels.. as well as bragging rights :)

Once the 'formal' tasting is done, everyone is welcome back into the kitchen to sample their favorite beer (there are generally about 3 of each left over) and enjoy the rest of the evening

Hope this helps!

• image pharmernicole:

We do this bi-annually :) for about 12-14 people.. We have everyone bring a 6 pack of beer (generally people will choose something interesting and different so we don't have them tell us ahead of time what they're bringing, but if you're concerned about having 'doubles' then you can have people email you ahead of time with their selection..)

As everyone arrives, I steal their beer away to the fridge/coolers in the kitchen as they congregate in the living room .. I type names of the beers into a word document in random order.. and at the bottom of the document is a numbered list for them to write their "guesses" .. then I give one sheet to each participant.

As for the tasting, we have a beverage tray and 14 pint glasses with different logos (don't ask.. I think my husband used to have a habit of stealing them from bars in college..) so each person is instructed to remember their logo as this will be their glass for the entire tasting.

I pour a small amount of the first beer into each glass, and bring it into the living room.. the 'objective' of the evening is to correctly guess each beer they are tasting from the list, with the winner receiving a 'gift basket' containing a few selected beers and some pretzels.. as well as bragging rights :)

Once the 'formal' tasting is done, everyone is welcome back into the kitchen to sample their favorite beer (there are generally about 3 of each left over) and enjoy the rest of the evening

Hope this helps!

Hi Nicole! I think this is a great way to do an informal and fun tasting! One of these days we'll GTG since we couldn't do it last year. Hope all is well with you!

Yes