Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Giant Cupcake Cake Pan

I also posted this on the WC board, but wanted to see what you ladies thought as well...

I am planning on making this for my nephew's 11th birthday this weekend. I bought 2 boxes of cake mix (just don't have it in me to make two cakes from scratch this week). My questions are:

1. About how much longer should I cook the cake? And will it use both boxes of cake mix?

2. Did you frost the bottom "wrapper of the cake" at all, with buttercream or with fondant?

3. Any good icing recipes that an 11 year old boy would like with a chocolate cake? (no peanut butter due to allergies)

Re: Giant Cupcake Cake Pan

• It's been about a year since I used mine, so I can try to help.  I think one box wasn't quite enough, so I used two boxes and made regular cupcakes out of the leftover batter. 

I'm pretty sure I remember it needing an extra 10-15 minutes to bake compared to baking 2 8-inch round cakes.  I just kept checking it.

For the bottom, I didn't like how butter cream looked.  It was a lot of work to do a layer thin enough to show the ridges, yet thick enough to cover.  The other times I've decorated the bottom, I found a recipe for a glaze, flipped it upside-down, drizzled it all over and then it harden.  It looked much better IMO.  Maybe you could do a chocolate ganache for you cake or pourable fondant?  Butter cream worked fine for the top half.

The pan really does make a really cute cake!  Good luck!

• Be careful with this pan as I have had many issues with having the cake remove perfectly from the pan.... even after ensuring the proper amount of nonstick spray, butter, flour, etc has been put on. I got fed up with it that I gave it away.
  • I haven't used this pan in more than a year, but I'll try to remember...

1. About how much longer should I cook the cake? And will it use both boxes of cake mix? I think I used two mixes (or a double recipe from scratch), and made a small round with the leftover.  Baking 10-15 minutes more, like pp said, sounds about right.  Definitely just keep checking it.  

2. Did you frost the bottom "wrapper of the cake" at all, with buttercream or with fondant?  I used the flat side of a basketweave tip to pipe buttercream for the bottom.  It worked pretty nicely.

3. Any good icing recipes that an 11 year old boy would like with a chocolate cake? (no peanut butter due to allergies)  I usually just use the Wilton buttercream recipe.  I tried a fancier one a while back and it was awful, so I've been afraid to experiment since then!

• I'd pick up a couple of extra boxes of mix....just in case.  I've made this cake two times.   The first time I had no problems at all-it came out perfect.  And the second time I had to redo the cake because the top collapsed and the bottom stuck in the pan.  I think there are some good tips on the Wilton forums....like covering the bottom with foil so both parts will cook evenly (or something like that...it's been a while since I've made them too.)

Here's a pic of the one I did:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't made it yet but just wanted to add that I found this that I'm planning on doing for the "liner"

http://ohsugarcakes.blogspot.com/2009/03/candy-liner-for-giant-cupcake.html

It's supposed to be easy and makes it look really finished.

• Stacy, thank you so much! I have been fretting about what to do about the base! I will definitely do this!
  • image JodyKay:

It's been about a year since I used mine, so I can try to help.  I think one box wasn't quite enough, so I used two boxes and made regular cupcakes out of the leftover batter. 

I'm pretty sure I remember it needing an extra 10-15 minutes to bake compared to baking 2 8-inch round cakes.  I just kept checking it.

For the bottom, I didn't like how butter cream looked.  It was a lot of work to do a layer thin enough to show the ridges, yet thick enough to cover.  The other times I've decorated the bottom, I found a recipe for a glaze, flipped it upside-down, drizzled it all over and then it harden.  It looked much better IMO.  Maybe you could do a chocolate ganache for you cake or pourable fondant?  Butter cream worked fine for the top half.

The pan really does make a really cute cake!  Good luck!

The glaze is a brilliant idea!  I used to make cookies and pour a glaze on them.  All it was was powdered sugar, milk, and food coloring and it hardened, looked shiny and lovely!

• image stacylu:

I haven't made it yet but just wanted to add that I found this that I'm planning on doing for the "liner"

http://ohsugarcakes.blogspot.com/2009/03/candy-liner-for-giant-cupcake.html

It's supposed to be easy and makes it look really finished.

I just checked out that link and I'm TOTALLY going to try that!!!!  Thanks for posting it!
  • I remember the bottom and top not baking evenly, so I would pour the batter in the bottom and bake for 10 minutes. Then I would take it out of the oven and fill the top part and put it back to bake the rest of the time.