Chicago Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Recommend your city/Deerfield area

My husband and I will be relocating and we could use some help with areas within 30 miles if Deerfield. Any suggestions or opinions about certain areas?

We'd be renting for awhile unless I find a part-time job right after #2 is here.

TIA

Jen

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Recommend your city/Deerfield area

• I love Northrbook which is next door to Deerfield  Big Smile

Buffalo Grove is great and about 15 minutes away (depending on location) 

• There are many different types of communities within 30 miles of Deerfield - everything from multi-million dollar mansions and country clubs to artists' lofts with a local indie rock scene.

So, what do you want?  What type of environment do you want to live in?  If you have to commute (assume work is in Deerfield?) how much time are you willing to spend in the car or on the train?  And most importantly - what's your budget?

• We will be renting and would like to be under $1700/month. We have a two year old and one on the way. We have a dog. I guess we are looking for something in between the city and suburbia. We don't want to be out in the country but we like a yard for kids and dog. We will rent then buy once we find an area we like. 45-60 min drive is about the max commute by car or train. It'd be nice to live in a city where the school district is good. I'd like to find some classes to take the kids to, mommy groups, have parks  and shops nearby. We were directed to look at cities around the MD-N as it goes to Deerfield. Any places you'd recommend in Lake County or Cook? Thoughts on Northbrook, Wheeling, Buffalo Grove, Libertyville, or Grayslake?

Thanks Jen!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well, all the towns you listed ARE suburbia.  If you're looking for something "in between the city and suburbia" (walkable downtowns, neighborhoods in grids instead of twisty subdivisions, independently owned businesses, etc.) that's more like the inner ring of suburbs such as Evanston, Park Ridge, and Oak Park.  I don't know what the mommy scene is like in the towns you mentioned, but I'm sure there are lots of options.

• Well, I'm in Libertyville and LOVE it.We are in District 70, which is a great district. We are within walking distance to the downtown area, Metra and the schools. I love it here. Yes, it may be a tad bit "suburbia", but I love that most of the downtown businesses are independently owned. As long as you find a few nice moms to hook up with, you're all good.

Oh, and congrats on #2!!! GL!