Minneapolis/St. Paul Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

paver patio started--YES!

The company we hired to put in a paver patio pulled in early this morning and are going to complete it today. In my opinion, it's going to be totally worth it to hire it done vs. doing it ourselves since it wasn't that much more money.  They have a lot of equipment in our driveway and I hope the neighbors aren't really irritated by the noise. 

We're so excited to have it done. Yay!

Re: paver patio started--YES!

• Sweet!  Good idea to hire it out.  My in-laws did one last summer and it literally took my FIL almost the whole summer to gradually work on it and finish.  Plus they still haven't edged it in, it's got wood beams just outlining it now and it looks crappy, the rest looks good though. 
    [center] [IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2qu7ipz.jpg[/IMG] [/center]

[center] Our 5 year anniversary trip to Peru. [/center]
  • My parents DIY'd there's while I was in high school and I don't think I'd ever let DH attempt it. Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
    ::marital bless:: my blog

Pregnancy Ticker image
    BFP#1 - 8/26/2008 | Isaac Levi @39w 4/26/09 :: BFP#2 - 6/22/2010 | natural MC @9w 7/28/10 :: BFP#3 - 10/25/2010 | Ezra John @39w 6/26/11 :: BFP#4 - 8/7/2012 | EDD 4/17/13
  • Thanks for reinforcing our decision to hire it done.  We've been feeling a little guilty (not the right word, but I can't think of a better one) for not doing it ourselves since we are perfectly capable and it would have been cheaper.  However, we didn't want to spend the entire summer working on it and not be able to enjoy it.  Plus I'm sure it will look better done by professionals.  Thanks for helping me to justify the expense. :)
  • Yep, definitely a good idea to have someone else do it.  We put ours in a couple summers ago and it literally took all summer.  Of course, the whole project grew significantly as we got going.... the patio went from 10' x 10' to 15 x 25', we added retaining walls and regraded the yard.  But still, the patio itself was pretty intense. We started Memorial day weekend and finished the week before Labor day.  It was pure hell.

Tired after a long morning of hiking and swimming.
  • will you be willing to post photos when it's done? i'd love to see it. : )

congrats and enjoy it!

• image strength:

will you be willing to post photos when it's done? i'd love to see it. : )

congrats and enjoy it!

sure can.  At least I'll try to pip

• Would you mind sharing the size of the patio & how much it costs?  We plan on doing ours someday (on our own), but a comparison would be nice.  
  • GotMilli--ours is 285 square feet (15x18 approximately, but has some curves and is definitely not a rectangle) and is costing 4k.  We could have gotten it a little cheaper, but then we would have had to do the design ourselves and we weren't real impressed with the companies that came in cheaper. I'm a believer in choosing the mid-range quotes typically.
  • Thanks for the info! :)
  • You are so lucky to have a company doing it. We did our own a few years ago and it was 3 weeks of pure hell. It was the coldest and wettest May ever and we were outside digging out the area, tamping it down, laying down the base layers, more tamping, hauling the bricks, making the pattern, and on and on. We did get a great deal on the brick through DH's former work, but it was so much work. We do love our time on the patio now.