Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Party appetizer ideas

we're having a luau next weekend and i need some ideas for food. i would like to stick to more appetizer type things. it starts later, and we'd rather spen more time chillin and less time grillin.

Re: Party appetizer ideas

• These are from the Pioneer Woman Cooks.  I have never found a bad recipe on her blog.  I saved these for our next pool party.

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies

Fresh Jalapenos, 2-3 inches in size
    Cream Cheese, softened
    Thin (regular) bacon, sliced into thirds

Cut jalapenos in half, length-wise. With a spoon, remove the seeds and white membrane (the
    source of the heat; leave a little if you like things HOT). Smear softened cream cheese into each
    jalapeno half. Wrap jalapeno with bacon piece (1/3 slice). Secure by sticking toothpick through
    the middle. (At this point, you can freeze them, uncooked, in a Ziploc bag for later use.)
    Bake on a pan with a rack in a 375-degree oven for 20-25 minutes. You
    don't want the bacon to
    brown enough, just turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to finish it off. These are best when
    the jalapeno still has a bit of a bite to it.
    Serve immediately, or they're also great at room temperature.

Also, this one sounds great too.

Pineapple?Skewered?Whatever Shrimp

Peeled, Deveined Jumbo Shrimp
    Teriyaki Sauce
    Chopped Garlic
    Sugar
    Salt
    Sliced Green Onions
    Canned Pineapple Chunks, juice reserved
    Lemon juice
    (Optional ingredients: lime zest, red pepper flakes, minced fresh ginger, chopped jalapenos)

Make a marinade by combining Teriyaki sauce with remaining ingredients and reserved pineapple juice. Feel free to add whatever ingredients sound good! Stir in peeled/deveined jumbo shrimp and marinate at least a couple of hours. Skewer pineapple chunks with the shrimp and grill until done.

• Tiny Delicious Sandwiches:

Ritz crackers, roast beef deli meat, dill dip, swiss cheese.

Top cracker with cheese, dip, and cheese and serve.  These are a hit at every party!  People love the TDS's!!

• I would do some dips - maybe a spinach dips with veggies or hummus.   bruschetta, pinwheels with ham and cheese, I just made a super easy spread for crackers by mixing cream cheese and sundried tomatoes.  Chips and salsa/guacamole or the chicken wing dip. 
  • We did a luau party last year at our appetizers were Mango Salsa and chips (purchased a huge thing of the mango salsa from Costco, it was soooo good!), a pineapple with cheese cubes sticking out of it using toothpicks and crackers, and chicken spring rolls (also purchased at costco and wonderful).  Good luck!
  • For my parents' 25th wedding anniversary, we had a luau-themed event. Some of the appetizers I prepared were cinnamon chips with fruit salsa; cream cheese and herb stuffed cherry tomatoes; bacon-wrapped water chestnuts; "Hawaiian Punch" meatballs (found the recipe online); and various fruit and vegetable skewers and dips. The tomatoes were a hit, but time consuming to prepare. I have a few websites I love to find recipes from that include allrecipes.com and recipegoldmine.com. Good luck planning!
  • Prosciutto-wrapped pineapple chunks on grill.
  • I've had bacon-wrapped grilled pineapple and it was so good! I think it may have had a brown sugar glaze on it too.
  • This tasty recipe from creamcheese.com is really easy, yet very tasty and elegant:

2 Ritz Simply Socials Original Crackers
    2 tsp. Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    2 tsp. dried cranberries

Top crackers with ingredients, enjoy!
  • This is the best dip I have ever had, get TONS of compliments everytime I make it!

Chicken Enchilada Dip

4 cooked* chicken breasts, shredded (*you can bake, boil, fry, microwave-it doesn?t matter how they are cooked)

1 red pepper, finely chopped

1 cup finely chopped onions

4 8-oz. packages cream cheese

1 small (4 oz.) can green chilies

1 cup mayo

1 tsp. lemon juice

1 envelope taco seasoning

Tabasco sauce to taste

Combine all ingredients in crock pot, cook on high until cream cheese is melted and everything is heated through, and then turn down to low.  Stir occasionally.  Serve with tortilla chips or pita bread. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker