Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

do you do flea, tick and heartworm preventatives???

I'm questioning everything now and want to research all of this.  A few people have told me they do not use flea and tick preventatives....what's your take on it???

Re: do you do flea, tick and heartworm preventatives???

• I will always do Heartgard Plus as heartworm preventative (and we do it year round) but I quit doing the flea and tick preventatives b/c it scares the crap out of me and it gives my girls diarrhea.  We switched to Neem Protect Spray by Ark Naturals (thanks to Meghan for suggesting it) and it seems to work so far to repel fleas and ticks. 
  • image 09092006:
    I will always do Heartgard Plus as heartworm preventative (and we do it year round) but I quit doing the flea and tick preventatives b/c it scares the crap out of me and it gives my girls diarrhea.  We switched to Neem Protect Spray by Ark Naturals (thanks to Meghan for suggesting it) and it seems to work so far to repel fleas and ticks. 

Is that spray something you use if they get fleas or ticks?
  • We also do year-round heartworm prevention--heartworm is not something to mess around with, IMO.

We do use Comfortis for flea prevention right now; we stopped using Frontline because of all the bad things I've read on this board about the chemicals in it. Neem oil seems to be pretty popular on the board, so I think we'll give that a go.

image image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We use Interceptor for HW preventative, but I'm switching from every month to every 45 days. 

We do use Frontline Plus in the summers, but I'm trying to use less of that and rely more on repellants, like Neem this year.

Love.
  • image BlueMoonMagic:
    We also do year-round heartworm prevention--heartworm is not something to mess around with, IMO.

Sure heartworm isn't something to mess around with, but that doesn't mean you need to blindly dose your dog with pesticides every single month either.  Educate yourself on the facts regarding heartworm transmission and do what you feel is appropriate for your area and situation.  Year round HW preventative is NOT necessary for most people, despite what many commercials put out by pet med companies advertise. 

I wrote out some info here regarding HW:   http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/15343835.aspx 

As for flea/tick....I've used the Neem spray for over a year now with good results. 

imageimage Run Fast, Run Clean! Dog is my Mantra
  • image Brandy14:
    image 09092006:
    I will always do Heartgard Plus as heartworm preventative (and we do it year round) but I quit doing the flea and tick preventatives b/c it scares the crap out of me and it gives my girls diarrhea.  We switched to Neem Protect Spray by Ark Naturals (thanks to Meghan for suggesting it) and it seems to work so far to repel fleas and ticks. 

Is that spray something you use if they get fleas or ticks?

It's a preventative spray that you spray about once a week. Supposedly you can use it if you see fleas as well, to get rid of them but I haven't experienced that yet so I don't know how true it is.

• image 09092006:

Ditto 09's regimen. Heartguard Plus and Neem Protect. We used it to get rid of Ace's fleas when he came from the rescue; so it does work  when trying to rid them of fleas (we sprayed daily as opposed to weekly). 

• We use HG Plus and *gasp* nothing for flea and tick prevention! Fleas were a huge. HUGE problem in California but here in Arizona they just don't seem to be a huge problem so I stopped using it, and we don't go into areas of ticks so I don't see the point.?
  • image lilsheltie:

image BlueMoonMagic:
    We also do year-round heartworm prevention--heartworm is not something to mess around with, IMO.

Sure heartworm isn't something to mess around with, but that doesn't mean you need to blindly dose your dog with pesticides every single month either.  Educate yourself on the facts regarding heartworm transmission and do what you feel is appropriate for your area and situation.  Year round HW preventative is NOT necessary for most people, despite what many commercials put out by pet med companies advertise. 

I wrote out some info here regarding HW:   http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/15343835.aspx 

Wow, that information was really informative! Are you a vet? I'm especially grateful for the 45-day info--what a great write-up!

image image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Heartworms are transmitted through mosquitos and mosquitos are a problem in the south and the east and west coast states as well as near the great lakes. When I lived in Las Vegas I never had my pets on HW preventative or flea and tick preventative. Now that I moved to Denver....I plan to get my pets on HW preventative for the summer. There is a lot of water here in Denver but it's never sunny or hot enough for very long to bring out tons of mosquitos before it gets rainy and cold again.
  • We use heartgard year round and then flea prevention ONLY if needed.  Every dog I've ever had that we used that on, it always dried their skin out.  And the risk of those nasty burn marks are way to high. 

Koby has yet to even have a single flea.  Our last dog (RIP) had flea's once and we gave her a few baths and they were gone within a week.

• image Italiannvegas:
    Heartworms are transmitted through mosquitos and mosquitos are a problem in the south and the east and west coast states as well as near the great lakes. When I lived in Las Vegas I never had my pets on HW preventative or flea and tick preventative. Now that I moved to Denver....I plan to get my pets on HW preventative for the summer. There is a lot of water here in Denver but it's never sunny or hot enough for very long to bring out tons of mosquitos before it gets rainy and cold again.

I was told from my vet that with the influx of animals from the south and east (due to hurricanes) the risk level in Colorado, especially Denver, for heartworm has increased substantially.  We usually only do heartworm preventative from April to November but I thought that was interesting that Colorado is apparently considered high risk for heartworm now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm feeling like quite the d-bag. We use Revolution once-a-month year-round.

I'm so glad to have found this board.?

• We use heartworm preventative and we vaccinate for Lyme, but we don't use topical flea/tick preventative.  We live in-town so we just have wood ticks and so far this year we've seen three.  Not too bad and only one was on Abbie.  If we go to the beach or in the woods we have a Castor & Pollux natural collar Abbie wears to keep the buggies at bay.