Northern California Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Is your dh handy?

I feel very fortunate that my dh can fix pretty much everything.  I am thankful that I married a guy that was just like my dad, book smart and handy.

What's your dh like?  Is he more of a computer guy or a "Mr. fix it."

By the way, just so you girls don't think I could go a day without my mind in the gutter....

I'm always trying to get dh to do some work with just his tool belt on.  He won't humor me, even in the privacy of our own home.

Re: Is your dh handy?

• Mine is a total computer guy, and not at all handy though he thinks he is. He tried changing the oil on our scooter and broke it - almost beyond repair! I usually end up having to do all of the fix-it work around our place, and I'm not great at it either.
    [IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/zlampros/db276e02-07dd-401b-aa2b-3f9aa62b4c45_zps46356489.jpg[/IMG]
  • My DH is a computer guy (by profession) but he is very much a Mr. Fix it. He'll try a few times then if can't do it---he has no shame in hiring someone to do it.

Funny story...

DH was rotatilling (sp?) the dirt one day while I was cleaning house. I looked out the window and he looked HOT (both ways) since he didn't have a shirt on. I ran upstairs and put on a cute dress and heals, grabbed a beer and ran outside and asked him if he wanted to play "desperate housewives" and let me have the sweaty garden boy fantasy.

Apparently me running out all dolled up and a beer in hand was a fantasy of his.

See Mrs C you're not the only one Wink

• LOL.  OMG, no. 

DH is also a techie.  He's GREAT with computer networks, code, etc.  Not so much with a hammer.

Last night our toilet wouldn't stop running.  20 minutes into DH 'fixing' it.  I had to make a run to home depot to ask for help!

• image mrscerruti2be:

By the way, just so you girls don't think I could go a day without my mind in the gutter....

I'm always trying to get dh to do some work with just his tool belt on.  He won't humor me, even in the privacy of our own home.

LOL!!  Shannon, you are priceless!  Reading your posts always brighten my day. Angel

• He's not handy.  He's not totally a computer guy either.  I do the fixing and a lot of the computer fixing too!  Ray's a number guy.  He can do square roots of 3 digit numbers in his head!
  • I married a general contractor who loves working on cars and hates computers. Everyone has told me that someday I will live in a beautiful house because he does such good work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope.  He's not too tech savvy either. 

He's very into animals and music, he's a drummer.  We have a dog, a hamster and 2 parakeets.  He wants to have a zoo, next is 2 tanks of fish.  He wanted to be a vet growing up.

His dad is very handy, don't know how he lost out on that one.  Luckily I have lots of guy friends that are handy Wink

• He's very handy. He can fix jut about anything around here. He just did a bunch of stuff around the house this week since he took a week off. He is also good with computers too though....

• melgrady- Uh oh.   You know what they say about the cobbler's children having no shoes...

My dad is a jack of all trades.  He has his contractor's license.  Has for years, but my mom is always on him to fix their house.  He doesn't very often.  I hope your dh is more productive.Big Smile

• my DH is very handy - he fixes everything & even builds things. He did all the upgrades to our house - everything from a new bathroom & laundry room addition to granite countertops to tile. the man does it all! Its the most awesome thing ever. AND he works on cars too.?

so the only problem is that he never has enough time to do it all and hes always tired because he TRIES! :P?

• image mrscerruti2be:

melgrady- Uh oh.   You know what they say about the cobbler's children having no shoes...

My dad is a jack of all trades.  He has his contractor's license.  Has for years, but my mom is always on him to fix their house.  He doesn't very often.  I hope your dh is more productive.Big Smile

Lol...yeah, sometimes I have to bug him forever to get something done. Lately leaving post-it notes everywhere has seemed to work so he can't get away with his "I forgot" excuses. Sometimes he works horrendous hours and is too tired to deal with anything when he gets home.

On a side note, thanks for the new idea. I'll have to ask him to wear just the toolbag next time he has to do something at home.

• Definatly a mr fix-it guy.
  • Yes, he's very handy. I haven't seen him not able to fix anything. I'm ready to call for help and he's looking at me like I'm crazy. He's into computers too and can fix them as well.
  • My dh is a computer nerd, but he is also handy. He insists on fixing things himself, which sometimes is awesome sometimes takes 3x longer. I think hes just cheap.
  • My DH is definitely handy--anything electronic, cars, general house stuff, etc.  It's really great for me!  He's a mechanical engineer so it's in his nature to want to know how to build and fix things.
    I'd rather be rock climbing or playing volleyball
    image image
  • Yes, he is. He's handy with computers and cars, etc... Mostly he does stuff on computers now. I know he misses working on cars. He never really did construction though so he doesn't know carpentry stuff. But with being in the chair he has had to get himself out of crazy physical situations. He calls himself MacGuyver.
  • He is handy...unfortunately LOL.
  • No he not very handy, and doesn't even pretend to be interested.  When he does "try" to fix something, it like watching Ed Norton do something (it takes forever) and glazed over eyes.  I usually try to fix it, if I can't I ask HD, and if seems to complicated, wait and call a contractor.  Thank goodness is a brilliant lawyer, because if he was anything like his fix it skills would be homeless and divorcedStick out tongue.
  • I am very lucky also that DH can fix anything from cars to houses, he can do it all. He's one of those that would rather fix it himself then pay someone else to do it. He's also a computer guy too.
  • Mines a computer guy and a big time mr. fix it, plus he's an awesome cook. ?Gosh, I love him!
    James & Lauren ~ 9/22/07 * Expecting our first ~9/10/11 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • He is very handy, he builds furniture for a living. He is not so great with computers, that is more my department. I am slowly teaching him what I know about computers.
  • He can be... but he prefers to be techie. ?Plus, I'm an engineer, and I think a little more handy than he is. ?We approach things very differently. ?For example, we're trying to hang a series of 4 prints in our kitchen. I measure and use the level to get things lined up... he'd prefer to just start putting nails in the wall and figure it out.

I do think that sometime in the future it is possilbe that we will buy a home and fix it up using our own handy work.?

IMG_1313.jpg IMG_1351.jpg
    ERD 01.16.11

Surviving postpartum depression & OCD one day at a time.
    Also experienced antenatal OCD.
    Feel free to ask me questions about my experience.
  • Mine is neither the computer guy nor the handy man. I am both actually. He is good at decorating though, and visualizing a room. I'm not consistently good in these areas, but I have my moments.
  • I think he is pretty handy overall.

He can handle working in the yard and misc. things around the house. He is pretty knowledgeable with car stuff and very handy with electronics. He can do all the car stereo, TV surround sound wiring and other things of that nature.

Although, he hates to ask for help unless he absoulutely has no choice, Kind of drives me nuts!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • God no.... sometimes I think I am way more handy than he is
  • DH is the best of both worlds....Computer geek AND Handyman.

When we were redoing our office, I come in and see him with a drill in hand about to drill into the freshly painted wall.

Me: Have you ever done this before?

Him: No

Me: Are you sure you know what you're doing?

Him: No

Me: Ok, I'm leaving....I can't watch this.

We now have a beautiful office with dimmer switch lighting! (Lucky for him....)

• He's a computer/electronics guy but not handy at all. Good thing we just moved to the same town as my dad who is very handy. My dad was also an engineer (like DH) but has the handy gene as well.
    My Blog

My Shop

Holiday Picture Outtake
    [IMG]http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j434/alyssajwagner/outtakes-1.jpg[/IMG]