West Coast Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Changing Name

Hello everyone! I need a little help preferrably from someone who is a green card holder. I just changed my lastname on my social security yesterday and was planning to go to DMV to change my lastname on my license. The lady at the Social Security office mentioned that I have to update my green card as well, or better yet if I'm planning to become a citizen eventually to go ahead and go that route to eliminate more paper work. Well I was just at the DMV website and said that I have to bring my  updated green card (if not a citizen yet). Won't it take a while to apply for citizenship? I didn't plan to do it yet but started to consider it since the lady mentioned it. How long is the process and doesn't it cost alot? Where do I go to do that, my husband is a citizen already but he doesn't remember where he applied since it was so long ago. I'm planning to apply for dual citizenship (I'm originally from Philippines) but didn't think it would be anytime soon. So where do I go? I looked online and just to order the application its like $50 plus shipping and handling comes out to $70. Can I just go to the actual place and pick one up without any fee? I thought changing my lastname would be a breeze but its becoming more of a pain in the butt. Help!
"don't ever let go of my hands" teejay.. image

Re: Changing Name

• Oooh, that sucks! I've heard from a lot of people that since Sept 11th it's a pain in the butt to get citizenship, and it's expensive. I don't know how much, but I know it's a lot. I'd just change your greencard in the meantime if it's not too much of a hassle, or don't change your name at all yet. I thought it was tough just changing my name, but I can only imagine what you're going through! Good luck!

p.s. I saw TJ at work the other day for safety day! :)

• Yeah the citizenship won't be as hard to get since I'm already a permanent resident (green card holder). Its just the cost and the pain of waiting. Apparently  we have to set an appointment even just to pick up an application. We can get it online but its like $50 plus $20 shipping and handling.

The thing is I already changed my name on my social security so I have to do something. Probably just get the green card renewed because from what I heard its expensive to apply for citizenship.

Yeah TJ mentioned that he saw you.

• Hi. First of all, congratulations! Hope your wedding was a blast. To answer your Q's, one can only apply for citizenship if you've been a permanent resident (green card holder) for 5 years. What I would do is go to www.uscis.gov and see if you can update your status online. If they won't let you do this, I'd just call them and let them know that you're now married and would need an updated green card with your name change.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah I've been a permanent resident for 10 years now, so really its just a matter of deciding if I want to go ahead and apply for citizenship which cost a lot or just renew green card.
  • My husband did this about 2 years ago (also from the Philippines and had a green card).  We were in New York then, so might have been slightly different, but it wasn't a huge deal - he signed up for an apointment, which didn't take too too long, and I forget how much money it cost, but it was something he needed to do at some point, so for him, it was just one of those things you have to pay for.

I would think it would be more of a personal decision rather than just convenience - Do you want to be a citizen of the US or the Philippines? If it's US, then definitely go for it now while you're doing all the annoying name change stuff.  If it's the Philippines, then just change your name and renew your card.