Dallas-Fort Worth Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

House Trends

DH and I are about to start building a house with Highland Homes.  We are relocating from Atlanta.  We are coming into town this weekend to pick out all of our design choices.  I have noticed that there are definitely different trends between Atlanta and Dallas.  The hand scraped floors and textured walls with bullnosing are new for me, but I like them.   I was wondering if the following are common to not have in Dallas.  I don't want to end up with a house that isn't marketable for the area.

1.  Large Crown moulding - Only a couple of rooms have it and it is really small.  Does anyone have 2 and 3 step moulding or larger moulding?

2.  Offices seem to have stained trim and not the same color as the house.  I don't want it stained.

3.  No tray ceilings in master or dining rooms?  We are building a master on the main (which seems very common), but the lack of vaulted ceiling is really odd to me.  

4.  No wainscoting in dining room or additional trim work?  

I know that I noticed more than that, but I am drawing blank.

Are there any other trends that you find to be specific to houses in the area that we should consider?  I know that I've seen more exposed beams, but our plan doesn't accomodate them.  We might do a coffered ceiling instead.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: House Trends

• 1.  We opted for the double crown moulding in our living room bc of the vaulted ceilings.  We have just the regular in our master bedroom.

2.  We do have the stained trim and wainscotting in our study, but I'm sure you'll be fine without it.

3.  We have the tray ceiling in our dining, but not master... wasn't really a deciding factor for me, though.  Also, our master is upstairs, which is uncommon here.

4.  We have the trim/wainscotting in our dining... you may want to see if your builder could throw this in if this is something you really want.  I know builders are cutting back on costs and this could be one thing  that they have eliminated.

Also, stone elevations are popular are popular here in TX.

GL!

• 1.  Large Crown moulding -I have 2 step moulding the open area above the staircase because the ceilings are so high. Otherwise I have chunky moulding in the living room, which is a fairly large room.

2.  We don't have any paneling in the house but my parent's house (early 80s) has panelling in almost every room. I just don't think that's the trend for newer homes at all.

3.  We don't have vaulted ceilings, but we do have over 10 foot ceilings upstairs. I don't think this just depends on what the design of the room. If you have a square room, a vaulted veiling works great. Oddly shaped masters it doesnt- and I have an L shape personally.

4.  None in ours. Many of the houses that we looked at had it, I don't think it's a bad thing and adds interest.   

I should probably add that our house had a bit of a Tuscan flair. We have the trouled texture in the kitchen and eat-in kitchen area as well as the bathrooms. The rest of the house has a totally flat wall texture and we don't have any 90 degree corners, they all rounded.

• We currently live in an older home, but I just wanted to say that I love Highland Homes and that they've been one of my favorites that we've looked at in our price range. I am surprised that they don't have many of the options you mentioned though because it seemed like everything was very up to date as far as options went the last time we look at any Highland Homes....that was probably a little over a year or so ago. Just a few thoughts on your questions though.

1) I would definitely get the larger crown moulding at least in the living and dining areas if possible.

2) Most houses we've looked at also have the different stained trim in the office space because it is usually done in stained wood to match any built in desk or cabinetry. It hasn't really bothered me and actually, in most cases I've thought it looked really nice. However, I would think this is something you can request to be done differently if you are building???

3) I love the tray ceilings especially in the master bedroom and I've seen several done really nicely in formal dining areas too. Most custom homes we've looked at have the tray ceilings in the master though.

4) I haven't really seen much wainscotting in formal dining rooms, but virtually all of the nicer homes we've looked at had additional trim work in the formal dining room.

Besides the stone elevation that Nikki mentioned, you might consider a 3-car garage for additional storage space, media rooms are fairly popular still, large covered back porch (especially nice for entertaining when it's not too hot!), ceiling fans on the covered back patio, oil-rubbed bronze fixtures seem to be very popular, bull-nosed finish on the wall corners, the hand-scraped floors you mentioned, stone fireplace surround, skip-trowel wall texturing is still fairly popular in many of the new homes too....that's about all I can think of right now.

• image char-char:

We currently live in an older home, but I just wanted to say that I love Highland Homes and that they've been one of my favorites that we've looked at in our price range. I am surprised that they don't have many of the options you mentioned though because it seemed like everything was very up to date as far as options went the last time we look at any Highland Homes....that was probably a little over a year or so ago. Just a few thoughts on your questions though.

Besides the stone elevation that Nikki mentioned, you might consider a 3-car garage for additional storage space, media rooms are fairly popular still, large covered back porch (especially nice for entertaining when it's not too hot!), ceiling fans on the covered back patio, oil-rubbed bronze fixtures seem to be very popular, bull-nosed finish on the wall corners, the hand-scraped floors you mentioned, stone fireplace surround, skip-trowel wall texturing is still fairly popular in many of the new homes too....that's about all I can think of right now.

The house we are building actually does have all of that stuff above.  I was just really surprised about the minimal trim work.  I am going to see if they can upgrade it.  Thanks for everyone's advice.  We are looking forward to moving, if only our house in Atlanta would sell. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Mrs.PeachyKeen:
    image char-char:

The house we are building actually does have all of that stuff above.  I was just really surprised about the minimal trim work.  I am going to see if they can upgrade it.  Thanks for everyone's advice.  We are looking forward to moving, if only our house in Atlanta would sell. 

Awesome! Yeah, I was going to say, usually the Highland Homes we've looked at had quite a few upgrades, really nice compared to many others in the same price range. Good luck!
  • I also prefer the taller baseboards if that doesn't come standard with your home.  I would go ahead and do surround sound too. Welcome to TX!
    Heather + Matt 10.18.08
    James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12