Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

how do you feel about political status comments on facebook?

if something I read or see on the news bugs me enough, I'll post a vent about it. ?I might get too "colorful" about it sometimes, but it's just facebook... a site dedicated to individual expression and the responses to the same... right?

anyhoo, I have a friend who always gives me grief when I post something conservative (campaign season is over, give it up - Obama won!, etc etc) but really, does anyone actually get offended by that sort of thing?

just curious...?

Re: how do you feel about political status comments on facebook?

• I get irritated if it goes beyond just commenting on the politics into attacking the supporters.  In the immediate wake of the election I saw a LOT of seriously rude comments aimed toward Obama supporters.  I get that McCain-and-Others supporters were disappointed, and were entitled, but I don't appreciate when I feel like nastiness is aimed *my* way because of my political leanings.

Edited-To-Add: Oh, and that said, it's just Facebook and I'm not going to get my knickers all twisted and huffy because of something someone says there.  It's their place to say what they want.  I don't comment to argue whatever the issue is, and I just clicky the little box that prevents me from seeing their stuff if I find it too terribly irritating.

• I stay away from making political comments because a comment I made right before the election didn't go over well with a certain someone. I've seen way too many friends get "spammed" with hateful comments over a political status or comment. I think people should be able to put whatever they want on their FB wall, but I just wouldn't put things up on my board because I don't want people leaving a bunch of hateful things on my board.
  • I just ignore it.  Sometimes I think people go too far in their comments, but on the other hand you can post whatever you want.  I think the responses to people are worse because the poster should be able to voice their opinion.  If I don't like it, I usually just ignore it.
    My sweet boy
    imageimage
  • Eh depends, I often see so many people posting about both parties that just aren't educated in politics and it scares me that other people could read it and think it's true. I don't get mad but at the same time, politics is one of those things that, at this point in our lives, you're set on your views and opinions for the most part. I don't want anyone trying to preach to me to swing the other way and sometimes on FB that seems to be the case, it's not having a political debate, it's "look at my view, I'm right, think like me" and that drives me insane.
  • I try to ignore it, but sometimes it irritates me if it's rude, or like FIA said, if it attacks people or supporters of a certain politician rather than offering an educated opinion or something that's just regurgitated from a headline or Google news search.
  • Hah ok I will not lie, I went and looked at yours. I think had you left off the "all you Obama supports are you happy" part it wouldn't have been that bad. I mean, if my status said "I'm unemployed, my house is worth 20% less then it was when I bought it, and the bank can't afford to loan me money" it's one thing but if I said "I'm unemployed, my house is worth 20% less then it was when I bought it, and the bank can't afford to loan me money because Bush let them give all their bailout money to employees in bonuses while he left us with the biggest deficit in history so now the economy sucks, I hope all you Bush voters are happy" it has a different tone, almost a condescending tone.

***I'm using that as an example, not a debate starter!***

But see what I mean, there's two ways to go about it. I dunno, I'm very hard to offend so it doesn't bother me but I'm trying to think of how you can save yourself the headache of the annoying friend, or just say whatever and ignore him haha tell him to eff off in a nice way :)

• yeah, the Obama voters rhetoric probably puts it over the edge... but I admit I am an politically incorrect jerkface sometimes. ?I will leave it up for a respectable period and then change it to something more unifying before bedtime, haha!
  • It's Facebook.  If people have that much of a problem with it then can just hide your status updates.
    image *Amber & Chuck - October 25, 2008* Anniversary
  • Honestly it really depends - if someone puts something political in their status who I know has never shown an interest in politics before and didn't educate themselves on the topic; they are just regurgitating things they saw on the front page, then yes, it bothers me.

Other than that, no, I don't get offended. It's facebook. You can put whatever you want in your status and me in my status and people should just cool their jets!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Unless I'm with a very tight knit group of people (family, long time friends) that I feel perfectly comfortable sharing private stuff with, then I keep my political opinions to myself. 

I am a registered Republican.  But if someone who is extremely left wing comes up to me and starts bashing on my party, then I just usually don't say anything back.  They are entitled to their opinion fine, but I don't really care to express my views in a bashing sort of way. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I am always surprised by how many of my friends who must be making a lot of money and are up in arms about taxes going up. Like people are really fired up about the tax changes and I am always surprised because I really didn't think they did that well!

Really you make that much money that you are going to be affected by the changes?  had I known that I would have expected nicer gifts from you and that you would be willing to pay for a round of drinks every now and then! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Honestly, I do get kind of offended, well maybe not offended, but it does bother me.

First - no one is going to change anyone's mind via a FB status message.  

Second - I know most of my good friends well enough to know their political views, I know what they'll think about election etc, I don't need to see it on FB.

Third - a lot of things that people post are WRONG.  I know that sounds kind of snotty ha, but I see people post things and I'm like, "seriously? There are so many inaccuracies in that statement that I don't even know where to begin."  And for the record - I never do respond to those posts for the most part - b/c all it does is start controversy. 

That's what I think bothers me - when someone posts something political, they don't WANT someone with an opposing view commenting on it or saying "but what about this?"  They want someone to accept their view and to say "oh wow good point."  That's what annoys me.  

I have a friend on FB - he's my brother's old college roommate - and he's the ONE person that I look forward to seeing political comments from, b/c he has an interesting perspective, his arguments are well thought out, and  he responds to people's comments with insight and courtesy.

I've just seen too many stupid fights break out over FB status messages to understand what the point is. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Okay, I just went and looked at your status Viley (and sent you a friend request ha) and honestly, not to be rude but, did you think that WASN'T going to be offensive?  A post like that is very different from saying "I don't agree with Obama's policies towards the auto industry" or something.
  • image daisyterp:

I am always surprised by how many of my friends who must be making a lot of money and are up in arms about taxes going up. Like people are really fired up about the tax changes and I am always surprised because I really didn't think they did that well!

Really you make that much money that you are going to be affected by the changes?  had I known that I would have expected nicer gifts from you and that you would be willing to pay for a round of drinks every now and then! 

HAHA Daisy I agree with this!! I see so many people complain about the taxes and while okay, some people are against tax hikes as a general concept, I get that, but even so - I don't think they understand its not going to affect them, its really not. 

• they don't offend me, per se. It really takes a lot to offend me, and its not going to happen on FB. however, when they are childish or just attacking someone, then yes, I will roll my eyes at them.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image daisyterp:

I am always surprised by how many of my friends who must be making a lot of money and are up in arms about taxes going up. Like people are really fired up about the tax changes and I am always surprised because I really didn't think they did that well!

Haha!  Exactly.

Yes, depending on the comment, I think political status comments can be offensive.  However, I find them more annoying than offensive most times.  It seems like whining to me.

• image mrsbecky07:
    Okay, I just went and looked at your status Viley (and sent you a friend request ha) and honestly, not to be rude but, did you think that WASN'T going to be offensive?  A post like that is very different from saying "I don't agree with Obama's policies towards the auto industry" or something.

haha - no, of course not!  I just don't get why people get *so* riled about it sometimes.  Just the whole, if you don't like it that's cool, but don't pitch a fit about it.  But I guess I need to bite the bullet and grow up.

::crosses arms, stomps foot, and goes "hrmph" in the corner::

• I really couldnt care less about what people post as their status...political or not.  If I dont share the view I just continue down the line on status updates and by pass it.
    Steph - mama to Owen Patrick 2/20/02, Ryder Jacob 11/3/05 and Brody Ryan 7/14/2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic