Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

SYBG: Mom Moments

This happens pretty much in any Contemporary YA.  I have a moment where I feel SO OLD and want to just reach out and shake the characters and give them a good parent speech.  The main one here was when Emily didn't want to go into the bar with a fake ID and Sloane did and Emily stood her ground - and was basically portrayed as being a wimp in that situation.  I wanted to give her a high five for standing up to bossy Sloane and doing what she thought was the right thing to do.  Adult me was kind of annoyed at the implication that she was boring for sticking to her principles and just needed to let loose. Any other adult moments from the book I'm missing?
image image image

Re: SYBG: Mom Moments

• Just the general lack of parental presence in general. These kids were all over the place, at all hours. It was "explained" in various ways, but still. Pretty typical in a lot of YA, but it still makes me want to mother these kids every time.

Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
  • When the parents started their writing spree. I thought, well there's a new way to get rid of the parents in a YA book. Why do they always need to be absent? There are so few YA books with present parents.
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

• Last night, DH mentioned that he had recently got a new book about Nicola Tesla.  At which I laughed and explained to him that "in all YA books, there's some kind of excuse for the parents never being around," and in this one, they were holed up writing a play about Tesla.

If there were parents and rules and boundaries, the books would be far less interesting.  Sort of like my teenage life.
  • SnShne322 said:
    When the parents started their writing spree. I thought, well there's a new way to get rid of the parents in a YA book. Why do they always need to be absent? There are so few YA books with present parents.
    This is the first thing I said too. Well she needs her parents to not care so she can run around and complete the list. 
  • The little brother Beckett seemed to lack any supervision. Was he old enough, or just at camp or something? I was always confused how did the kids eat if the parents were that tied up on their play but that's a separate plot.

I felt bad for Frank that his parents weren't around and didn't seem to care that neither one of them would take care of him. The fact that he spent that many nights alone, but apparently it worked since he got to have so many adventures alone in the house.

You could probably say Emily stealing something was a mom moment. Yes kids steal, but you shouldn't encourage someone because they're "too shy" to do it, that's just good parenting.