Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

spice (and such) organization

I do a lot of baking and my husband is a fabulous cook and he also does a lot of grilling and smoking meat.  Between the two of us we have a lot of small bottle ingredients (think spice, but lots of different size bottles).  Everything is a mess now but we are building a house soon.  I've searched Pinterest and Houzz for "spice" organization.  The one idea that comes up consistently is the pull out drawer with all of the pretty, same size spice bottles lying on their sides.  Ours will never look like that because we don't consistently buy the same size/brand, plus our supply would never fit in one drawer.  

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to organize these? 

Re: spice (and such) organization

• If you buy the spices and products in bulk, then using the small containers for everyday use would be very beneficial and help with the organization - you just simply refill the small containers when they get low. 

If that's not conducive to your budget or kitchen environment, I've also seen floor to cabinet-top slide out units that are installed next to the refrigerator that allow for a much more convenient setup of spices and products while at the same time being accessible but hidden, and don't require all the same size container. It looks something like this, but matches more and seems more built-in than an afterthought: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d3/e2/c5/d3e2c53bff8d708be60a85e6ae1240d1.jpg

• We have shelving on the inside of our pantry door, similar to the attached photo.  LOVE!  
  • i saw a cool thing on pinterest you take a mop/broom rack and put the bottles in that and attach to the inside or outside of your cabinets. i may try this one
    Anniversary Birthday
  • We recently invested in some small jars all of the same size. We have a whole foods near by and they have a bulk spice area and we'll refill the jars as needed. I've actually gained space because my husband was one who use to buy every spice in bulk and they go bad before we can half way through the jar.