Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Beach Bum & Airport Reads?

Heya Strangers! ;)

I'm going to Mexico for five days starting tomorrow and I only have one plan in mind: Lay in the sun and read nonstop while drinking delicious dranks.

So, all that to say... I'm extremely out of the Book Loop. What's good? What's impossible to put down? What are the big trends?

I did get The Raven Boys on my Kindle and started it last night. Excited about that series!

If you don't know me, I'm smash. I'm a former regular who likes to pop in every now and then. If you do know me, :-*

Re: Beach Bum & Airport Reads?

• Hi!

I loved loved loved The Martian. 

The Moment of Everything is a quick, easy, and enjoyable read. It's also set in my hometown, Mountain View.

The Bookman's Tale and First Impressions were two other good reads - a little mystery, a little romance, and a lot of book love in both of those.
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
    pugsandwine

• Hi!

I loved loved loved The Martian. 

The Moment of Everything is a quick, easy, and enjoyable read. It's also set in my hometown, Mountain View.

The Bookman's Tale and First Impressions were two other good reads - a little mystery, a little romance, and a lot of book love in both of those.
    Haven't read any of these! Yay!
  • None of them blew my mind with their literary merit or anything, but they were enjoyable reads. ;) 
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
  • Get the new Jandy Nelson - I'll Give You The Sun. My favorite book of 2014. 
    image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    pugsandwine
  • I second the new Jandy Nelson.  Also:

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender
    Station Eleven
    Bird Box (horror)
    Bad Feminist (essays)

image image image
    pugsandwine
  • I'm dying to read Bad Feminist. (Although I've heard it spoils Gone Girl, which I haven't yet read. @julie37619, is this true?)

I'm also dying to read Amy Poehler's book, Yes Please. 
    image image image
  • @young_love - Yep, it does give some GG spoilers.  If you're wanting to read GG without any knowledge of the twists, I'd wait to read that essay.
    image image image
    Young_Lovepugsandwine
  • @young_love - Yep, it does give some GG spoilers.  If you're wanting to read GG without any knowledge of the twists, I'd wait to read that essay.
    I don't even know how I've managed to stay spoiler-free for so long. You're right...I can just skip that one essay. 

I LOVE Roxane Gay. I really want to read this.
    image image image
  • Isn't she the best?  I frequently sign in to Twitter just to see who she is currently putting in their place.  She took my brother out to dinner once and when he told me I could barely stand it.  She's fantastic.
    image image image
    pugsandwine
  • Yes Please by Amy Poehler is so good (for as far as I am) but I'd recommend the actual copy other than Kindle (unless you have color) since there are some good photographs.

Nicolle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Hoycie
  • I just finished reading Where We Belong by Emily Giffin. I bought it as a Kindle deal of the day a few months ago and promptly forgot about it. I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'm still thinking about it days later. Easy read!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight during my last long airport layover. It's not the most amazing book ever, but it's cute, and it put a nice spin on being stuck in an airport (since a big chunk of it is in an airport and on a plane).