Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

POLL: Is this a tacky Bridal Shower idea?

Do you think incorporating an event such as Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, Purse Parties, Jewelery Parties, Spa parties, etc into a Bridal Shower is a good idea or a tacky idea?

I'm throwing a bridal shower for a friend and I really want to incorporate a Spa party or Purse party. Since this is not her only shower, I thought it would be nice if there was a shower where she got purses or spa products as gifts instead of silverware or blenders. However, I am a little hesitant because I don't want the standard sales pitch I'm sure the sales rep will make to take away from the event or be perceived as tacky. I'm sort of on the fence myself as to the appropriateness of this idea.

What are your thoughts?

Re: POLL: Is this a tacky Bridal Shower idea?

• I think it's tacky - plus everything at those parties is SO expensive and people will feel pressured to buy an overpriced gift and probably things for themselves as well.

But I also hate those types of parties - I always turn down the invite.

What about a lingerie shower? They can be very classy.
  • image renee1.28.06:
    I think it's tacky - plus everything at those parties is SO expensive and people will feel pressured to buy an overpriced gift and probably things for themselves as well.

Ditto this. You could make it a "Pamper the Bride" theme. Guests could buy her spa products, a pre wedding massage, lingerie, ect - but they could make their gift more personal as it wouldn't be limited to the catalog.

I do actually like going to some of those home show parties, but I don't think I would have wanted one for my bridal shower. GL planning!

• image june08..can't wait!:

image renee1.28.06:
    I think it's tacky - plus everything at those parties is SO expensive and people will feel pressured to buy an overpriced gift and probably things for themselves as well.

Ditto this. You could make it a "Pamper the Bride" theme. Guests could buy her spa products, a pre wedding massage, lingerie, ect - but they could make their gift more personal as it wouldn't be limited to the catalog.

I do actually like going to some of those home show parties, but I don't think I would have wanted one for my bridal shower. GL planning!

I agree 100% with  june08.  You don't want the guests to feel pressured into buying something while at the shower, since they will have already spent money on giving a gift to the bride.   I know as a guest I would feel a bit put off by this.  I would throw your friend a personal shower, that way the guests know to give personal items such as lotions, bubble bath, and lingerie.

I do like going to those type of home parties though, so if you still want to host one of those, just hold it as a separate event.

• 100% agree with Renee.  It's tacky and I would have to decline.
  • image 6fsn:
    100% agree with Renee.  It's tacky and I would have to decline.
    Agree, T A C K Y !! 
  • My thought is that this is a bad idea. I wouldn't want to go to a shower and then be encouraged/pressured/etc into buying something on the spot.??

• Tacky, tacky, tacky, tacky.

I don't want to go to a shower to listen to a lame sales pitch.

If I got an invite to such a shower, I would send my regrets and send a gift from the bride's registry directly to her house. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies. That confirms it! This idea is a "no-go"!
  • That's good! No one should make a commission on a party that is thrown in someone's honor.
  • I did a lingerie/toy party for a friend's shower. We invited a Slumberparties representative. It was a small group of only 6 of us, so the bride wasn't uncomfortable. She made a wish list and we each got her a gift. It was fitting for the party...
  • Tacky. If she wanted to register with Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, etc. that's one thing, but having a 'sponsored' party where the guests are being put on the spot is tacky. If she wanted, she could register with one of those companies, and the guests could buy gifts, but they shouldn't have to right there and then at the shower.