Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

The Octuplet Threads

Can someone please explain why this was such a hot topic the last couple of days...I honestly didn't bother reading them.

And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.

Re: The Octuplet Threads

• My honest opinion?  They pertain to pg/reproduction, which every woman* considers at some point and which is a topic understood by everyone, and it's easy to discuss the topic and have an opinion without having to understand the finer points of some bizarre piece of legislation.  In other words, as far as P&CE topics go, this one is like shooting fish in a barrel. Stick out tongue

*My apologies to any men who participated in the threads.  I didn't pay much attention so I am assuming it was the female board members who got involved given that we outnumber you guys by eleventy bazillion to three, or something like that.

*edited*

• some topics are just interesting and gossip-worthy. this is far from the oddest topic thats captured our attention.
  • Because it was a rare situation that keeps getting odder and odder the more we learn about the family.
  • I haven't read the ones on this board, but I know that at least part of the controversy is that she has six other children and many question her ability to take care of all those kids.

Count me among those who feel that it's irresponsible to have kids you can't support.

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/21e5kef.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/F4OFm4.png[/img][/url]
  • Because it is a clusterfvck of craziness.
    [IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/20uzlzc.jpg[/IMG]
    The Blog
  • It sounds like from some of your responses that it sounded like I was asking because I just didn't get why you could possibly be that interested in it. Other than what I could gather from the title threads, I really didn't know what was going on...so I was looking for more for a summary.  I guess I should have either been more explicit..or not so lazy and read them.

Sorry...

And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.
  • Woman gives birth to 8 babies.

Woman already has 6 kids under the age of 7.

Woman lives with her parents.

Woman may or may not have been implanted with 8 embryos, and if she was that's GROSS negligence on the part of the MD.

Woman may or may not have filed for bankruptcy last year.

Either the babies' father or the woman's father is going to Iraq as a contractor to make money for the family.

Woman may or may not be on public assistance.

Woman may or may not have health insurance.

No one has said what doctor did the fertility treatment, may have happened in Mexico.

The news outlets haven't gotten their stories straight, so it's all wild speculation, but I'm still not ok with someone having 14 kids under 7.  Financial issues aside, I don't think it's possible to emotionally provide for and nurture that many young kids effectively.

• image jlthompson19:

Woman gives birth to 8 babies.

Woman already has 6 kids under the age of 7.

Woman lives with her parents.

Woman may or may not have been implanted with 8 embryos, and if she was that's GROSS negligence on the part of the MD.

Woman may or may not have filed for bankruptcy last year.

Either the babies' father or the woman's father is going to Iraq as a contractor to make money for the family.

Woman may or may not be on public assistance.

Woman may or may not have health insurance.

No one has said what doctor did the fertility treatment, may have happened in Mexico.

The news outlets haven't gotten their stories straight, so it's all wild speculation, but I'm still not ok with someone having 14 kids under 7.  Financial issues aside, I don't think it's possible to emotionally provide for and nurture that many young kids effectively.

ok...my main q would be :  if she already had 6 children, why the need for fertility treatments?

• That was everyone's question.  It turns out, she had leftover embryos and didn't want them destroyed, so she kept having them implanted.  She's out of embryos now though, so that's that. 
    [img]
    http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/575553_3628402905789_1145555859_5259941_183025947_n.jpg
    [/img]

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/6/6txg4pq9e.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • Cripes.  I am officially done with this story.  There is no reasonable explanation for any of it - and the whole thing makes me sick start to finish.  Thank you idiot octuplet mom for setting the public's tolerance and understanding of infertility treatment BACK 10-20 years. I can't wait to have to explain, AGAIN, to my friends and family that IVF is not used recreationally to have litters of kids. Angry

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • image epphd:
    Cripes.  I am officially done with this story.  There is no reasonable explanation for any of it - and the whole thing makes me sick start to finish.  Thank you idiot octuplet mom for setting the public's tolerance and understanding of infertility treatment BACK 10-20 years. I can't wait to have to explain, AGAIN, to my friends and family that IVF is not used recreationally to have litters of kids. Angry

Yikes..sorry to push the topic once again!   From what I am gathering, I think I should be happy I didn't read through all of those threads.

• Sorry  2V - that outburst was in NO way directed at you!!!  Sorry Embarrassed

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • image epphd:
    Sorry  2V - that outburst was in NO way directed at you!!!  Sorry Embarrassed

I know it wasn't... Wink

• epphd, speaking for myself, all this shows is that the lady is certifiable.  Anyone can take a good thing too far.  IVF is still a good thing, just not in the hands of crazy people. 
    April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image