Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Dead horse... octuplet mom update...

according to Fox News, the 33 yr old single mother worked at a fertility clinic and definitely had all 8 embryos transferred

discuss...

Re: Dead horse... octuplet mom update...

• "according to FoxNews" and "definitely" are two terms which should not be used in the same sentence ;-)
  • What I find bizarre is how her current medical team is so proud of themselves. I mean, ok you made sure mom + 8 babies are all healthy.

But I personally would have done no PR as her doctor given all the ethical issues involved. This family situation is SERIOUSLY messed up: 6 kids already + 3 adults supposedly living in a 3 bedroom house. Now 8 babies. Shouldn't CPS be called about mom's judgment and living conditions? And shouldn't her doctors have been the one to make that call?

• image sonrisa:
    "according to FoxNews" and "definitely" are two terms which should not be used in the same sentence ;-)

*snorts*

Also ditto why the docs all seem so happy about this. In a way, it's awesome that all the kids are doing so well, but this shouldn't have happened in the first place.

So it goes.
  • We've been talking about this on the TTTC board quite a bit, so I'll C&P my general thoughts and theory (which I've stated on other threads but I think it's more concise here!)

I honestly don't know what to believe.  The docs at the hospital were not the ones who treated her IF, and I sincerely doubt she did IVF at all.  I firmly believe that she took FSH or clomid, unmonitored, and had TI.  Either that or she went overseas or to mexico for treatment. 

According to her family, the woman has 6 kids who are 7, 6, 5, 3, and 2 year old twins.  Now she has 8 infants.  That means she went "to a doctor" when the twins were 15 months old and had 8 embryos created and transferred.  This simply doesn't add up. No doctor would do that.  She clearly had no history of poor embryo or egg quality, and no history of failed IVFs or miscarriages - there was simply not enough TIME to have that kind of infertility in the 7 years during which she had SIX KIDS.

I think this is a very mentally unstable young woman, desperate for attention and probably under the spell of J&K+8 and the Dugger shows.  She had 6 kids in 7 years and probably thought that if she had a multiple birth she could garner fame and fortune.

I could be wrong - but I don't think I am.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • image sonrisa:
    "according to FoxNews" and "definitely" are two terms which should not be used in the same sentence ;-)

Big Smile

• I also heard (I think cnn?) that it was from a sperm donor?  Is that how the other 6 were conceived or is this because her husband is not in the country?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • she has no husband... there's no man in the picture... the iraq stuff is her father - the kids grandfather.  they've released her name and she's 33 yrs old and single.

• image iluvabrit:

she has no husband... there's no man in the picture... the iraq stuff is her father - the kids grandfather.  they've released her name and she's 33 yrs old and single.

What??!?  I did not read that--wth?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • from fox:

CBS News reported Friday that the mother of eight newborns, who already had six children, filed for bankruptcy and abandoned her home less than two years ago. She hasn't been identified publicly yet, though CBS News described her as a woman in her 30s who lives with her parents. The woman's mother revealed to the Los Angeles Times that her daughter already had six children before seeking fertility treatment, though she had no idea she would become pregnant with so many babies. Britain's Sun newspaper reported that the mother works in a fertility clinic. The grandmother said she had multiple embryos implanted last year and declined to abort any of them. The hospital, Kaiser Permanente in Bellflower, Calif., did not release the mother's name, but the Sun, without citing sources, identified her as 33-year-old Nadya Suleman. She does not appear to have a husband. CBS News reported that the woman's father is Iraqi and is heading back to his native country to earn money for the growing family.

from the sun:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2191783.ece

THE OCTUPLETS mum ?works in a fertility clinic? and deliberately had eight embryos implanted during fertility treatment - but then risked her life by refusing to selectively abort any of the babies, her family revealed.

The Southern California woman - who already has six children - underwent IVF and had multiple embryos implanted, but never believed she would become pregnant with eight children.

Her family revealed she refused doctors? advice to selectively abort any of her amazing octuplets - despite warnings that she and her babies could suffer serious health effects or even die.

Home ... octuplet's mum's house

Home ... octuplet's mum's house

And neighbours last night revealed the mum - who has not been identified by the hospital but is believed to be 33-year-old Nadya Suleman - works as a technician in a fertility clinic and does not appear to have a husband.

Proud grandmother Angela Suleman revealed her daughter had fertility treatment but never expected to give birth to eight babies.

Speaking at her home in Whittier, California, she said: ?They (the embryos) all happened to take.

?I looked at those babies. They are so tiny and so beautiful.?

Suleman said her daughter had embryos implanted last year, and after finding out she was pregnant with multiple babies, she was given the option by doctors of selectively reducing the number of embryos.

But Suleman said despite the risks, she refused.

She said: ?What do you suggest she should have done?

?She refused to have them killed.

?That is a very painful thing.?

Cramped

According to neighbours, the mother is single, aged in her thirties and already has six young children aged seven, six, five, three and two-year-old twins.

They all live in a cramped three-bedroom house near LA with her parents.

Suleman admitted raising a massive family of 14 children would be a challenge.

?It?s going to be difficult,? Suleman added, noting that her own husband was returning to Iraq, where he works as a contractor, to help support the massive family.

One neighbour who gave her name only as Verda said: ?She worked at a fertility clinic, that?s what I understand.

?I believe that?s where she got pregnant with all of her children and it was all done officially.

?I don?t think she is married or has a partner.

?The only male I?ve seen over there in the two years or so she has lived there is her father, who must be in his Sixties.

?A couple of times I?ve waved at her across the street, but I don?t see her often and didn?t even know she was pregnant.?

The woman?s father arrived at the house in Whittier, about 12 miles south east of LA, with some of the young children last night.

The father, who identified himself only as Ed, spoke at the door as the woman?s six children were heard screaming and rampaging around the tiny house.

He claimed: ?We have another huge house, not here.

Advertisement

var RStag = ""; try{ RStag = segQS; } catch(e){ RStag = ""; } document.write('');

?You are never going to know where it is.?

Meanwhile the octuplets? mother has broken her silence, describing the birth as a ?miraculous experience?.

In a statement released by ?the family?, the woman said she was ?ecstatic? over her eight babies, born by Caesarean section on Monday.

She also thanked the public for their ?positive thoughts, prayers and generosity?.

• Still don't believe any of it (except the 8 babies part).  AND, if she indeed worked for a clinic, that would explain where she got the meds.  No doc would transfer 8 embryos.  Period.  I still think she self medicated out of a pathalogical need for attention.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • image epphd:
    Still don't believe any of it (except the 8 babies part).  AND, if she indeed worked for a clinic, that would explain where she got the meds.  No doc would transfer 8 embryos.  Period.  I still think she self medicated out of a pathalogical need for attention.

I agree - something is simply not right here. I can't imagine a doctor would do that. I wonder where the lcinic she worked at is  and if the doctor has any actions against him.

• She could have gone to MX for the treatments.

Something is wrong with this entire story. I am starting to wonder if this isn't all some kind of a gigantic hoax we are looking at.

• i too believe the drugs route much more than the IVF route. It would be easier for her to just do herself in theory. Heck, that may have been how she got her twins.
  • SFJ - there's precedent for it too: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,484945,00.html

• image epphd:

SFJ - there's precedent for it too: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,484945,00.html

I don't know much about RE....I didn't even think about the possibility of taking the drugs recklessly. I just figured some weird doc in MX must have done it. Huh.

• The latest story being reported on local news is that all 14 kids are from the same sperm donor. The sperm donor is supposedly a married police officer whose wife is (was?) unaware of his donation to this woman.

Indifferent

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/20uzlzc.jpg[/IMG]
    The Blog
  • image starlily313:

The latest story being reported on local news is that all 14 kids are from the same sperm donor. The sperm donor is supposedly a married police officer whose wife is (was?) unaware of his donation to this woman.

Indifferent

OK this is like some Lifetime Original Movie brainstorming session gone horribly wrong.
    "I
  • image starlily313:

The latest story being reported on local news is that all 14 kids are from the same sperm donor. The sperm donor is supposedly a married police officer whose wife is (was?) unaware of his donation to this woman.

Indifferent

I wonder how big his turkey baster is?  Because he's not artificially inseminating the same woman 14 kids worth, imo.

Photobucket